FANDOM

• Recently I have seen an increase in users who are actually too young to be on FANDOM (being less than 16 years old). Personally I don't have a problem with the 13+ years old as they seem to be aware of the netiquette and the importance of internet safety. 

(I aware of the age of some users because they told me or because I was present at that time in the public chat. I wouldn't ask for their age myself.)

The problem I do have is with the even younger users. I have witnessed multiple times that they shared personal information, social media, etc on the public FANDOM chat rooms and probably in the private chats too. Whenever I see them I tell them this is not allowed (I'm admin), but I do fear for their internet safety.

Another problem I have with them is their ability to contribute to the wiki. Most users, even the youngest ones, are okay...ish. Hey, we all need to learn the ropes. However in some cases my good faith in them is really put to the test when even basic grammar, reading the rules and/or actual common sense seem to be thrown out of the window.

So have any other admins similair experiences? About users who are too young or users who seem to put your good faith really on the test.

Loading editor
    • I've had my share of users like that as admin on several wikis. Some learn and grow, some don't. A helpful environment and userbase on the wiki is part of the solution, but part of it is on the user's end as well. If they don't want to learn, they probably won't.

If any of the underage ones give you too much trouble or are maddeningly persistent, you could always report them privately to Staff. Then their account will be disabled.

Loading editor
    • The age thing is between the user and Fandom. You are under no obligation to take any action. You're free to do so, but you won't be held accountable if you look the other way.

Loading editor
    • You also don't have to be nicer to them, because you think they are below the allowed age. Sometimes short blocks can have more influence than any explanation.

Loading editor
    • M67PattonZippo wrote:
      I've had my share of users like that as admin on several wikis. Some learn and grow, some don't. A helpful environment and userbase on the wiki is part of the solution, but part of it is on the user's end as well. If they don't want to learn, they probably won't.

If any of the underage ones give you too much trouble or are maddeningly persistent, you could always report them privately to Staff. Then their account will be disabled.

Luckily most learn and grow. At least enough to contribute to the wiki at a descent quality. I'm currently working on template pages which should make it more easy to add new pages by copying the templates. On multiple pages of the wiki is stated that if you need help, you can contact the admins any time. 

I'm still thinking about what to do about the users who do want to contribute with good intent, but don't feel like learning.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:
      The age thing is between the user and Fandom. You are under no obligation to take any action. You're free to do so, but you won't be held accountable if you look the other way.

That's a good thing to know. Thank you as always!

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      You also don't have to be nicer to them, because you think they are below the allowed age. Sometimes short blocks can have more influence than any explanation.

I'm really strugling with this at the moment and in my eyes I often feel I'm less nice to the younger users than the older ones. Or at least less patient.

This is mostly due various different incidents with young users (vandalism, spam, (pre-)teen drama's. Most of them got banned btw). Sometimes I really have to remind myself I'm talking to young people and that they can think totally different, which is not wrong.

But over the past five years I and a bunch of other users put a lot of time at our wiki. It's a fandom full of stories and a fantastical place with wonderful young writers (I love to see their stories grow), but then you have these (very) young users who can't even be bothered by starting their sentence or writing their name with a capital and end it with a period. It hurts.

I know this young writer in person and she seems to enjoy writing from time to time, but she really doesn't care about anything else (grammar, punctuation, etc).

So yeah...I'm a bit bummed.

Loading editor
    • Well, a good compromise is to let them make those mistakes in a user blog or a user subpage. There can be different rules for different parts of the wiki. In shared pages, it is good to have standards... you shouldn't feel bad about that. There are many admins about a thousand times as strict (often irrationally so).

Loading editor
    • Just let them be

Loading editor
    • As has already been mentioned, you are not required to report underage users. However, I would like to make the following additional points.

1. The age is 16 for EEA and California, USA. For users from any other part of the world, the age is 13. So a user that is 14 is not necessarily underage.
      2. Even if you "remove" the private information, it could still accessible via the logs. Staff have special permissions for dealing with this stuff. Unfortunately, that would require you to tell staff about the user which would probably result is them getting globally banned.
        Loading editor
    • Plus if u use email its 13+

Loading editor
    • The underage issue is a concern, but not the main problem.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.