FANDOM

• MisterWoodhouse
    MisterWoodhouse closed this thread because:
    New thread time!
    17:27, May 28, 2020

Hey gang!

Happy Thursday once again! We've got some nice releases this week, so let's dive in!

Edit Count Fix

Edit Count on UCP wiki profiles is now local, not global.

DPLForum

DPLForum extension is now installed on the UCP. This is a wiki-based forum feature for folks who want an alternative to Discussions on the UCP. It has wikitext. We cannot migrate your existing Special:Forum or Discussions content to it, so you would need to start from scratch on it.

Incorrect Preference Resets

Creating a UCP wiki (and other UCP actions) should no longer reset user preferences

Image Squish

File pages should no longer show horizontally squished images

An update on image links

The fix for image linking is still being worked on as a priority fix during the current sprint. No exact ETA on its release.

--

The rest of the work this week has been largely focused on delivering stuff in the next few weeks. Looking forward to getting it in your hands soon.

--

Forgot one

Rename page fix

Renaming a page no longer reduces the page count by 1

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

DPLForum

DPLForum extension is now installed on the UCP.

Fantastic! That should be everything I was waiting for to start getting my wikis ready for the transition

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: Hey gang! Edit Count Fix

Just a FYI, it wasn't global either; it was just incorrect.

I have staff confirm this too but I didn't need to cause I as a user who has over 200k+ edits globally and the ucp has me at 33k something on the wreck it wiki, I knew it wasn't local or global.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote: Hey gang! Edit Count Fix

I have staff confirm this too but I didn't need to cause I as a user who has over 200k+ edits globally and the ucp has me at 33k something on the wreck it wiki, I knew it wasn't local or global.

Edit count has never been 100% accurate and it was referencing a global count, but not the correct one

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Hollowness wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote: Hey gang! Edit Count Fix

Edit count has never been 100% accurate and it was referencing a global count, but not the correct one

ah, gotcha.

Loading editor
    • I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but I don't think it was ever actually answered.

Any chance of getting mw:Extension:TemplateData on UCP wikis?

Loading editor
    • I'm a little late to the party, but why doesn't Special: Wiki Activity appear on any new wikis? Is this planned to be added back later on?

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: [...]

Wiki Activity

The biggest piece of feedback we're tracking is WikiActivity versus Recent Changes and I owe you an apology on this one. I did not communicate this change ahead of time and, as such, it caught several of you off-guard. WikiActivity (also known as MyHome) is a custom Fandom extension designed to encourage new users to see where the wiki was being edited and dive in. It was not intended as an admin tool and, due to this focus, we missed the adapted use case from admins. We hear the feedback loud and clear that several of you prefer WikiActivity to Recent Changes when it comes to at-a-glance moderation of your wikis. We also heard the feedback that Recent Changes is not as accessible as WikiActivity for users who have different consumption needs.

We have two things we'd like to see play out in the near future: 1) We would like to see if WikiActivity was adapted as a tool for moderation on the legacy platform because it was presented front and center as a tool while Recent Changes was not and 2) We would like WikiAcitivity users to give Recent Changes a fair chance to see if it can meet your needs.

Recent Changes is maintained by the Wikimedia Foundation as part of MediaWiki, so keeping it up to date as we move forward with future MediaWiki releases is rather developer light in terms of resource allocation. In terms of futureproofing, finding a way forward with Recent Changes is the smart decision from a platform maintenance perspective, but we want to make sure it's also the smart decision from a user perspective.

One thing I value in our editor population quite a bit is how y'all are able to make incredible use out of every tool we provide, sometimes beyond our intented use cases (as demonstrated here and with features like Special:Forum). It is my hope that Recent Changes can be a tool that works for you. If it's not that in its current form, let's work together to see if we can tweak it in order to get there for you. If not, we can reassess and find a good way forward.

[...]

Loading editor
    • Hmm... alrighty then.

Thanks!

Loading editor
    • So, the edit count has been corrected on the wikis themselves. However, it looks like Special:UserActivity is still accessing the wrong data.

Loading editor
    • I'm glad to hear about the new local edit count fix for UCP, as well as the other updates. Thanks!

-Arthur Read fan

Loading editor
    • I don't want my existing wikis (creator, membership and adoption that had me) moving to UCP. I have 12 wikis to be adopt by me soon and also don't want my wikis to be change either.

Loading editor
    • Kitsunes97 wrote: I don't want my existing wikis (creator, membership and adoption that had me) moving to UCP. I have 12 wikis to be adopt by me soon and also don't want my wikis to be change either.

Any reasons why?

Loading editor
    • Reasons are that I like my wikis because it had Message Wall on Top, Special:Images and everything I am familiar with classic fandom editing. I even don't want my wiki look complete different for UCP.

Loading editor
    • Kitsunes97 wrote: Reasons are that I like my wikis because it had Message Wall on Top, Special:Images and everything I am familiar with classic fandom editing. I even don't want my wiki look complete different for UCP.

message walls exist on UCP, and Special:Images does too, but its called Special:NewFiles instead.

Loading editor
    • It's s just I don't like new Special:NewFiles, messages on top don't appears, how I supposed know when I got messages from another wikis while I work on that new wiki.
      Picture79
       My profile doesn't have "My Favorite Wikis", brithday, Occupation and Message Wall is not same (don't like new look for Message Walls). I am not trying rude and I'm being honest with you. They even don't Comment on Character's Page (I don't want to use Talk).
        Loading editor
    • Kitsunes97 wrote:

It's s just I don't like new Special:NewFiles, messages on top don't appears, how I supposed know when I got messages from another wikis.
      Picture79
       My profile doesn't have "My Favorite Wikis", brithday, Occupation and Message Wall is not same (don't like new look for Message Walls). I am not trying rude and I'm being honest with you.

Nah its fine, was just seeing what your reasons were so I could help point out stuff (like "this is a bug" or "you can find <thing> here"), as for the notifications, it looks like they don't follow each other cross platform (excluding maybe announcements and discussions), you need to be on a legacy wiki to get notifications from legacy wikis, and on a UCP wiki to get notifications from UCP wikis.

Loading editor
    • Nah no thanks, I don't want that, there is one bug about it, Template:Affiliates, wordmarks of another wikis is not showing. I won't continue to edit new anime UCP I create cause it's not working out for me very well, I am not going to create another wiki forever. But I'll stick with platform that I like forever.

Loading editor
    • Woodhouse crash wiki is show as insecure, not secure in URL

Loading editor
    • Dukese805 wrote: Woodhouse crash wiki is show as insecure, not secure in URL

could you link the page where you're seeing that?

Loading editor
    • the main page is fine but the rest aren't hers an example https://wreckit-woodhouse.fandom.com/wiki/special:listusers

Loading editor
    • Dukese805 wrote: the main page is fine but the rest aren't hers an example https://wreckit-woodhouse.fandom.com/wiki/special:listusers

I can confirm this behavior in the latest version of Chrome. It appears to be serving the lowercase version of the page via http first, and when it can't find it redirecting to the secure uppercase version of the page. Definitely a serious bug.

Edit - and now submitted via S:C.

Loading editor
    • Kitsunes97 is correct. There is no Special:Images page on UCP.

Legacy Platform

• Special:NewImages redirects to Special:Images
      • Special:NewFiles redirects Special:Images
      • Special:Images
      • Special:Videos

UCP

• Special:NewImages redirects to Special:NewFiles
      • Special:Videos redirects to Special:NewFiles
      • Special:NewFiles

reply to #16 and #17

UCP message wall notifications not appearing on legacy wikis is a known "bug" (noted in User:Noreplyz/UCP). I suspect it is due to the legacy platform and UCP using different versions of the on-site notification system. The legacy platform does not have Feeds-based message walls so I am guessing it doesn't check for those notifications. There will probably be a similar issue when comments are rolled out.

This is a known "bug" (noted in User:Noreplyz/UCP). It is because affiliate templates rely on hotlinking images. At this time, UCP does not support hotlinking.

reply to #21 and #22

I am also seeing this bug now that I am running Chrome 83. However, I was not having this issue with Chrome 81. I think it is a browser issue, not a Fandom issue. The spelling of a page should not impact the protocol your browser uses. My guess is that Chrome is just waiting till it receives the page to mark it as secure. Since, for some reason, it is taking longer than Chrome 81 to load the page, I think we are just seeing the placeholder status. Indeed, even when I spell everything correctly, it still shows as "insecure" while the page is loading. But this is just all a guess based on my limited knowledge of how things work. I can't actually say for certain.

Loading editor
    • im on: chrome 83.0.4103.61 (Official Build) (64-bit) (cohort: 83_61_Win) revision: 94f915a8d7c408b09cc7352161ad592299f384d2-refs/branch-heads/4103@{#561} OS: Windows 10 OS Version 1909 (Build 18363.836)

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

I am also seeing this bug now that I am running Chrome 83. However, I was not having this issue with Chrome 81. I think it is a browser issue, not a Fandom issue. The spelling of a page should not impact the protocol your browser uses. My guess is that Chrome is just waiting till it receives the page to mark it as secure. Since, for some reason, it is taking longer than Chrome 81 to load the page, I think we are just seeing the placeholder status. Indeed, even when I spell everything correctly, it still shows as "insecure" while the page is loading. But this is just all a guess based on my limited knowledge of how things work. I can't actually say for certain.

2 things

1)     ! think you're 95% corct a little off, but i cant pinpoint it

2)     Chrome 83 is out! i dient see that. (althuogh it is on my previous comment :( )

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.