FANDOM

• MisterWoodhouse
    MisterWoodhouse closed this thread because:
    New thread time
    14:03, May 7, 2020

Hey gang,

Not a whole lot of user-facing updates this week. We're mostly working on tougher nuts to crack, which require more time.

The priority issues I mentioned last week are being worked through and, as soon as we have releases for those fixes, we'll let you know.

Infobox Builder looping

When moving from Visual to Source mode, the Infobox Builder was throwing a loop. It shouldn't do that anymore.

Global Lua Modules migrated to UCP

The Global Lua Modules have been migrated to the UCP. I don't know much about them, but I'm told that some of you will be very happy about thisĀ :)

---

One noteworthy bug we opened this week is regarding a new wiki creation resetting preferences for the Founder. It is being tracked down.

As you might be aware, today has been a tough day. I wanted to take a moment to say that I appreciate the heck out of all of you and the incredible feedback you've given us about the new platform. We may not get every decision right, but when we're objectively wrong, you can bet your bottom dollar we're going to make it right. Stay safe. Stay the course.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: [...]

As you might be aware, today has been a tough day. I wanted to take a moment to say that I appreciate the heck out of all of you and the incredible feedback you've given us about the new platform. We may not get every decision right, but when we're objectively wrong, you can bet your bottom dollar we're going to make it right. Stay safe. Stay the course.

I am not sure what you are referring to here. Do I want to know?

With regards to the global Lua modules, that is great news! A step in the right direction with regards to including content from other wikis.

Loading editor
    • Miss Hannigan - Did I hear singing in here

Gluck cracking those nuts and now I got nostalgia for Annie or maybe just Carol Burnett.

Loading editor
    • Skyline97
      Skyline97 removed this reply because:
      00:23, May 1, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote: [...]

I am not sure what you are referring to here. Do I want to know?

User blog:Perkinsmt/Fandom Staffing Update, probably.

Loading editor
    • Oh. I see. Thanks for the info. My sincerest condolences to anyone impacted by this.

Loading editor
    • Back on-topic...

JustLeafy wrote: Will the HTML classes (for example, the article has a WikiaArticle class) stay the same? I wanna know, because when I used the Chrome DevTools, I saw that the classes are pretty much the same, and I hope that they could stay that way so that stylesheets and scripts won't have to be tediously modified just to at least change the classes.

Well, here is one casualty already. It appears that there is some noticeable difference in the HTML structure as well as the CSS applied to it. In this particular instance, the template relies on:

.WikiaMainContent {
          position: relative;
      }

This CSS is on legacy wikis but not UCP wikis. So on UCP wikis, the icon is up in the corner of the window (hidden by the global navigation bar) as opposed to in the corner of the article.

Loading editor
    • My CSS and UCP test wiki

My personal CSS and the UCP wiki. Source editor nightmare.

I am not the best with CSS so I have no idea if this is something already addressed but I tried to do a quick edit on the test UCP wiki since I added my usual CSS used here. And it is messing with the editor, it is more or less a nightmare and I am getting strange behavior, I tried to do a simple cut paste and delete some content and some random characters and sections won't select to be deleted. I try to delete one part but it deletes another. I had to right click select all to even clear the page. To actually get the edit I wanted I had to do it on CC first and copy and paste in the UCP editor X /

Loading editor
    • It is hard to say without knowing what your CSS is. That said, CSS shouldn't be impacting the function of the editor. Perhaps what you are experiencing is the same thing mentioned here? In that case, I don't think it has anything to do with CSS.

Edit:

FYI, since I don't see it previously mentioned:

UCP wikis appear to not use Wikia.css. I have not checked every old CSS pagename but given that Wikia.css is still in wide use on legacy wikis, I thought this would be a relevant thing to note.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: It is hard to say without knowing what your CSS is. That said, CSS shouldn't be impacting the function of the editor. Perhaps what you are experiencing is the same thing mentioned here? In that case, I don't think it has anything to do with CSS.

Yeah, I read that and that might be the same thing.

But it seems like two issues CSS affecting the editor making it look horrible and the selecting issue. If anyone wants to try to duplicate here's my personal CSS on the UCP, sadly cause the wiki is set to dark with my CSS is a mess. I have such difficulty editing I haven't been able to finish editing to accommodate colouring sadly.

Loading editor
    • Reply to #9

I noticed wikia.css not working for me as well, I wasn't sure if it was just my account being slow or if wikia.css was broken.

I did some testing just now and it looks like oasis.css is usable, but wikia.css is not. Fandom probably didn't do it on purpose, but imo it makes a lot more sense than using wikia.css since the css page should be the skin name.

Reply to #10

The big issue of the lines getting the white background is on lines 802-806. Adding html:not(.ve-active) before .WikiaArticle pre should fix that. Probably a similar step for fixing the title, but I didn't have time the lines causing that issue.

Loading editor
    • On my first UCP wiki, Wikia.css on sitewide CSS is working fine. I added some CSS and it has no problem loading it

Loading editor
    • Really? Which wiki is this? I am pretty sure Wikia.css wasn't loading when I tried it. I had to add a link tag to the HTML doc's header before it worked. In case you want to know, it was this thread.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Really? Which wiki is this? I am pretty sure Wikia.css wasn't loading when I tried it. I had to add a link tag to the HTML doc's header before it worked. In case you want to know, it was this thread.

https://web-qore.fandom.com/wiki/Qora_Qore_Web

Loading editor
    • Interesting. Maybe it is just @import that doesn't work then?

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Interesting. Maybe it is just @import that doesn't work then?

Which looks to be due to the fact that the CSS is in the middle of a CSS page that the site loads, so the @import(s) won't be at the top, and therefor won't work.

Loading editor
    • Thanks for doing the dirty work for me. Things like this is the reason for my previous question.

Andrewds1021 wrote: I know I am a bit late to the party, but I have a few questions.

1. Code Editing
        1. Does this mean that site CSS is now enabled? If so, what is the structure? By that, I mean things like (but not necessarily limited to) the following:
          • Names of CSS pages that are automatically loaded
          • Hierarchy of pages (legacy example: Common.css v. Wikia.css)
          • Hoisting of @import (legacy example: @import used to not work on Wikia.css if Common.css contained actual CSS rules)

Edit:

Also, it seems like there are way more style tags in the document header. I am going to have to look into the differences more later.

Loading editor
    • Here is another "bug". The color scheme for the editor does not fully adjust to the color scheme of the wiki. Therefore, some buttons/indicators are rendered nearly invisible to the user (example).

This example comes from visual mode where the user is supposed to click on the row/column indicators in order to insert more rows/columns. On wikis with a light color theme, the indicators are nearly invisible. Thus giving the false impression that there is no way to insert more rows/columns.

Loading editor
    • unless they do something different for Common.css pages, it looks like any CSS imports won't load b/c they just add a css overrides module to the list of css modules that UCP loads, so its concated in with the rest of the CSS, see https://web-qore.fandom.com/load.php?lang=en&modules=ext.fandom.CreatePage.css%7Cext.fandom.Thumbnails.css%7Cext.fandom.UserPreferencesV2.runtime.css%7Cext.fandom.bannerNotifications.css%7Cext.fandom.coreRuntimeStyles%2CwikiaBarRuntimeStyles%7Cext.pygments%7Cext.staffSig.css%7Cext.visualEditor.desktopArticleTarget.noscript%7Cmediawiki.legacy.commonPrint%2Cshared%7Cmediawiki.skinning.content.externallinks%7Cskin.oasis.css%2CsiteCssOverride%7Cskin.oasis.pageheader.Share.css&only=styles&skin=oasis&debug=true for example, you can see the Wikia.css css put in the middle because of the order of the value the modules parameter has (https://web-qore.fandom.com/load.php?lang=en&modules=skin.oasis.siteCssOverride&only=styles&skin=oasis&debug=true is it all by itself, I don't know if this also includes Common.css and Oasis.css (I don't know if Oasis.css even exists too, User:Username/oasis.css seems to exist) tho)

Loading editor
    • Okay. You are going to have to break that down for me. What is this about a CSS overrides module? Is that just what does the concatenation of the stylesheets? I don't quite understand what the 2nd link is supposed to show. However, from the first one, it looks like Common.css isn't used at all.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Okay. You are going to have to break that down for me. What is this about a CSS overrides module? Is that just what does the concatenation of the stylesheets? I don't quite understand what the 2nd link is supposed to show. However, from the first one, it looks like Common.css isn't used at all.

The CSS overrides module looks to be what UCP is using to include all the wiki's CSS when its loaded (you can see the skin.oasis.siteCssOverride module in the big url), and due to its position, imports won't work, since it gets put in the middle of the total CSS file that UCP will load (where as 1.19 just loads all site CSS in a separate file: https://community.fandom.com/load.php?cb=1588681014345&debug=false&lang=en&modules=site&only=styles&skin=oasis&*), Common.css doesn't seem to be used at all because it doesn't exist on that wiki.

It looks like Wikia.css is loaded via the url module (eg, https://developers.fandom.com/load.php?lang=en&modules=skin.oasis.siteCssOverride&only=styles&skin=oasis&debug=true), and Common.css and Oasis.css is loaded via different 1.19 like url (eg, https://developers.fandom.com/load.php?debug=true&lang=en&modules=site.styles&only=styles&skin=oasis), so for now it seems that if you want @imports to work, they need to be placed in the Common.css.

Loading editor
    • Ugh. I thought they fixed the bug where Wikia.css was getting imported to all the other skins instead of the sitewide Common.css that is standard for best practices?

Loading editor
    • Thanks Sophiedp for breaking it down for me. Much appreciated.

Vandraedha, what are you talking about? There are only two skins. Wikia is supposed to be loaded for one of them and none of the CSS pages are loaded for the other.

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.