FANDOM


  • MisterWoodhouse
    MisterWoodhouse closed this thread because:
    New thread created
    15:52, April 23, 2020

    Happy Wednesday, gang!

    This Release Highlights post is early this week because we're only doing one Unified Community Platform release during the shortened holiday week.

    Code Editing

    As mentioned in this blog, our team investigated the functionality of the 2010 Wikieditor, which no longer receives active development from the Wikimedia Foundation, to see if it could be built into or onto the actively developed 2017 Editor. The most significant bit of that functionality was the CodeEditor. I am happy to announce that, as of this release, the CodeEditor functionality has been deployed onto the 2017 Editor.

    Code editing

    That was a major blocker for custom CSS on your wikis. The rights issue has been hotfixed and local admins are now able to edit the CSS on your UCP wikis. Additionally, personal CSS is available through UCP.fandom.com for users who like having global personal CSS. Custom JS remains blocked, as we need to recreate the Content Review system on the Unified Community Platform.

    Mass Uploading

    The MSUpload extension has been recreated on the 2017 Editor, listed as Mass Upload with the universal upload button, allowing you to upload multiple files in one swoop. The Mass Upload feature also allows drag and drop selection of files to upload.

    Mass upload

    Interwiki Transcluding

    A bug with interwiki transcluding was corrected on the UCP, allowing its use. Bug has been reopened, due to issues presented upon release.

    Official Wiki Marker

    When wikis overlaps are detected in the Create New Wiki process, the displayed wikis will now indicate if one is an Official Wiki community, letting users know that there is an established relationship between the wiki community and the entity making the associated content.

    The Remainder

    The rest of this release focused on minor bugs and preparation for other feature releases.

    ---

    Known Issue

    One of the bugs we've gotten a lot of questions about is the image transparency bug, in which images with transparent backgrounds are displaying with white backgrounds on UCP wikis. A fix is expected soon.

    ---

    Procedural Update

    To focus the feedback flow and make it easier for us to process all the awesome stuff you're sending in, only the most recent Release Highlights will be open as a thread for replies. When we have a new one, the last one will get closed. Cheers!

      Loading editor
    • Source editor is nice, but just old regular source window is even nicer. In the first week of release, you could disable all editors. Which was taken away. Is there any indication that that option will become available again?

        Loading editor
    • It appears we still don't have the right to edit sitewide CSS on ucp

        Loading editor
    • HM100 wrote: It appears we still don't have the right to edit sitewide CSS on ucp

      We're currently tracking down a rights issue that prevents some CSS customization
      ~ MisterWoodhouse
        Loading editor
    • Great update! Just one question: Would CSS customization become a thing in UCP after resolving the bug?

        Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote: Great update! Just one question: Would CSS customization become a thing in UCP after resolving the bug?

      Yup! You'll be able to dive into customizing your UCP wiki CSS once the rights issue is resolved.

        Loading editor
    • Cool! One last question though: will we be able to customize CSS and JS in the Wreck-it Woodhouse Community? We can already do this in the Community Test Wiki, so I'm wondering if it will be the same for this wiki.

        Loading editor
    • I have a suggestion:

      Add a "format" button in the source editor that'll clean up the code syntax and make it look nice.

        Loading editor
    • I know I am a bit late to the party, but I have a few questions.

      1. Code Editing
        1. Does this mean that site CSS is now enabled? If so, what is the structure? By that, I mean things like (but not necessarily limited to) the following:
          • Names of CSS pages that are automatically loaded
          • Hierarchy of pages (legacy example: Common.css v. Wikia.css)
          • Hoisting of @import (legacy example: @import used to not work on Wikia.css if Common.css contained actual CSS rules)
        2. Is personal CSS enabled? If so, when will global personal CSS be available?
        3. Is CodeEditor really the primary reason CSS was delayed? Why not just let wikis add it without CodeEditor; like how they could add portable infoboxes before InfoboxBuilder was available?
        4. Semi-related: Will there be an option to turn syntax highlighting off in the editor?
      2. Mass Uploading: Will Special:MultipleUpload or some equivalent be added?
      3. Interwiki Transcluding
        1. I assume this allows transclusion from Community Central only. Is that correct?
        2. Does this mean SharedHelp will actually transclude the pages rather than redirect to them?
      4. Official Wiki Marker: Nice touch! I like it a lot!
      5. The Remainder: No Comment
      6. Known Issue: Glad to hear.
      7. Procedural Update: Thanks so much for this change. It was getting hard keeping-up with all the different threads.

      Different people have different ideas about what code format looks "nice". It would probably be difficult to create such a feature without catering to only a small portion of the community. Even then, it might be pretty hard as the feature would need to be able to parse and "understand" the text on the page. Yes, the syntax highlighting already has to do that to some extent. However, the syntax highlighter isn't always correct. In cases such as those, it would be very annoying to have it mis-format the code.

        Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: Official Wiki Marker

      When wikis overlaps are detected in the Create New Wiki process, the displayed wikis will now indicate if one is an Official Wiki community, letting users know that there is an established relationship between the wiki community and the entity making the associated content.

      Is there going to be a way (in the future) to find overlapping pre-existing wikis besides attempting to create ones?

        Loading editor
    • I'm excited to see the features being added to UCP. Can't volunteer our wiki yet since CSS/JS customizability is still critical but I look forward to the day.

      Just wondering - where's the best place for editors to suggest features/extensions we'd like to see as a result of the MediaWiki update? For instance, I would be extremely excited to be able to use Cargo as a result of the migration, if that's anywhere even remotely on the table.

        Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote: Is there going to be a way (in the future) to find overlapping pre-existing wikis besides attempting to create ones?

      You could use the API that the new CreateNewWiki page uses, and change the name and language in the URL: [1]

        Loading editor
    • Noreplyz wrote:

      Hollowness wrote: Is there going to be a way (in the future) to find overlapping pre-existing wikis besides attempting to create ones?

      You could use the API that the new CreateNewWiki page uses, and change the name and language in the URL: [1]

      I mean more of an official error report for users on existing overlap once UCP is complete. Those creating wikis is only future overlap; not existing overlap.

        Loading editor
    • ...Looks like I showed up late for the announcements. Thanks for the update, MisterWoodhouse!

      -Arthur Read fan

        Loading editor
    • There is no dedicated place for that as far as I know. However, I suppose the Community Council Wiki might have a page or two for that purpose. You need to be a councilor to access that wiki. You could possibly start your own thread/page here on Community Central or just submit your list as general feedback via the contact form.

      Either way, they probably won't start even considering those things until after their current list of tasks is completed.


      Edit:

      I would like to see PageForms added.

        Loading editor
    • Cargo isn't used on Fandom, they use Semantic MediaWiki.

      You're always welcome to S:C to suggest extensions.

      I've already suggested PageForms and several others have too, so let's add some more shouts for that.

        Loading editor
    • To clarify, Fandom uses Semantic MediaWiki in the sense that some wikis do have it; as opposed to no wikis having Cargo. However, it was never an officially supported extension and wikis have not been able to request it for many years now.

        Loading editor
    • I could request it, I just have to plead my case more, and I haven't gotten around to it yet. Redirect equality would help us tons.

      I thought they wouldn't grant it so close to conversion, but that's apparently not entirely accurate. I've heard people describe SMW (and Cargo) as a can of worms. I've heard other people - Tim Q, Wade etc - say it's closer to a ten gallon drum.

        Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: I could request it, I just have to plead my case more, and I haven't gotten around to it yet. Redirect equality would help us tons.

      I thought they wouldn't grant it so close to conversion, but that's apparently not entirely accurate. I've heard people describe SMW (and Cargo) as a can of worms. I've heard other people - Tim Q, Wade etc - say it's closer to a ten gallon drum.

      Imagine the world's supply of crude oil, not a drum.

        Loading editor
    • Interesting. If that is the case, then the extensions help page could use some updating. I too have heard a lot of people describe SMW as a can of worms. Less so about Cargo. But that is all just hearsay, I have no idea how either actually works behind the scenes.


      Edit:

      My post was in reply to Tupka217.

        Loading editor
    • Cargo is less of a can of worms than SMW.

      SMW crashed all of Gamepedia on The Last Jedi release night, all because of how much the Path of Exile wiki used it.

      I specifically remember the night because I was sitting in a theater waiting to see the first showing as I was having to triage the Reddit response to the crash.

        Loading editor
    • That is a story I would be interested in hearing someday. However, I am guessing we wouldn't want to clutter this particular thread with that information.

        Loading editor
    • Will the HTML classes (for example, the article has a WikiaArticle class) stay the same? I wanna know, because when I used the Chrome DevTools, I saw that the classes are pretty much the same, and I hope that they could stay that way so that stylesheets and scripts won't have to be tediously modified just to at least change the classes.

        Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: Cargo is less of a can of worms than SMW.

      SMW crashed all of Gamepedia on The Last Jedi release night, all because of how much the Path of Exile wiki used it.

      I specifically remember the night because I was sitting in a theater waiting to see the first showing as I was having to triage the Reddit response to the crash.

      So I assume you managed to prevent it for the Rise of the Skywalker.

        Loading editor
    • Theunknown404
      Theunknown404 removed this reply because:
      I figured out this is not enabled by default.
      00:22, April 21, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • Another issue which I and at least several other users have noticed is with the styling of the table of contents. The level 2 headers have both a number and a square bullet. I did some investigating and this is the result of insufficient specificity for the CSS rule that removes the square bullets. The specificity is the same as for the rule that adds the bullets and apparently the one adding the bullets wins.


      Edit:

      I would also like to add that, from a debugging standpoint, the way global CSS is loaded really stinks. If it stays this way, it is going to be really hard to tell where any particular CSS comes from. Thus it will be really hard to figure out how to fix CSS issues.

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Another issue which I and at least several other users have noticed is with the styling of the table of contents. The level 2 headers have both a number and a square bullet. I did some investigating and this is the result of insufficient specificity for the CSS rule that removes the square bullets. The specificity is the same as for the rule that adds the bullets and apparently the one adding the bullets wins.

      Noticed this too, very odd. Bug report filed, it should only show numbers.

        Loading editor
    • Pasting into the the editor you get on CSS/JS pages is horribly broken. Copying and pasting anything results in a mess of html soup instead of the plain text you meant to paste.

      Steps to reproduce (works on latest firefox and all Chromium-based browsers I tested)

      • Select something by double clicking triple clicking on a line of text,
      • Go to a CSS/JS page on a UCP wiki and edit it,
      • Paste the contents of your clipboard with [CTRL]+[v].
      • Observe.

      For example, copying Original Authority's comment above

      Noticed this too, very odd. Bug report filed, it should only show numbers.
      

      and then pasting it results in this:

      <div data-space-type="editarea" class="editarea"><div id="WallMessage_1849011" class="msg-body"><p>Noticed this too, very odd. Bug report filed, it should only show numbers.</p></div></div><div data-space-type="toolbar" class="toolbar"></div><div class="msg-toolbar"></div>
      

      This seems to work with anything, whether you're copying from a browser or a text editor almost anything. Actual browsers and electron-based applications are affected, native text-editors don't seem to be.

      Pasting without formatting ([CTRL]+[Shift]+[v]) is not affected by this issue.

      What you get:
      2020-04-21 20-09-39 grim
      What you should get:
      2020-04-21 20-09-53 grim
        Loading editor
    • Report the bug and add it to User:Noreplyz/UCP.

        Loading editor
    • I think this is a browser issue, not an editor issue. When I click-drag to select, I don't get this odd behavior. When I do double-click, I do get some extraneous HTML but not the same HTML you claim to be getting. I do not have this issue copying form a text editor.

        Loading editor
    • Clarification, I meant triple-click to select the line of text, not double click. I can reliably get the HTML in Firefox, Chromium, and Vivaldi, as well as the Electron-based editor VSCode. I can't get it when copying from a native text editor though.

      Pasting without formatting ([CTRL]+[Shift]+[v]) is not affected by this issue.

      I went and updated my original post with the clarifications, here's the diff.

        Loading editor
    • I'm able to replicate the issue now — bug report filed.

        Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote: Clarification, I meant triple-click to select the line of text, not double click....

      ...

      Ditto.

      Again, I really think this is an issue with the copying, not the pasting. I tried pasting into MS Word instead of the wiki editor and got the same issue. If it were an issue with the wiki editor, then MS Word shouldn't have been impacted. Also, ever since Special:Analytics come out, copy-pasting the page/file names from the lists into MS Excel results in copying the link, not just the text. So I think there is plenty of precedence to say that this could very well just be a matter of what is copied.

        Loading editor
    • I made a wiki, and since I made it a couple of days ago, it has the new wiki format. I’m not that good with coding/editing and such, and visual editor was nice and easy for me. Is there anyway we can use that on the new wikis? When I went to edit something, I’m still learning how to input pictures, make text bold, etc. Visual editor is much nicer to me then this new way of editing.

        Loading editor
    • The visual editor is available on UCP, are you experiencing issues where it isn't available?

        Loading editor
    • Yea, I either can’t seem to find it/it’s not there, or I’m not sure how to access it. Again, sorry for the troubles.

        Loading editor
    • Please give a link to the wiki.

      There is a visual editor on UCP wikis, but it is different from the one on legacy wikis and may be missing features. There really isn't a solution except waiting and hoping. This is the situation FANDOM has given you.

        Loading editor
    • Ok, here is the link. The visual editor does not appear on anything when I edit. https://splat-hub.fandom.com/wiki/Splat_Hub_Wiki

        Loading editor
    • Here is the link to anime movie. Everything about that new wiki doesn't work better for me like Animangafooter which that wiki need. https://nakineko.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

        Loading editor
    • Semantic MediaWiki works passably on Familypedia, along with Semantic Forms (the predecessor to Page Forms). They are essential to most of the quarter-million articles. I trust that the eventual upgrade to MediaWiki version whatever will allow those to be upgraded as well. Not recommended for new wikis unless you have some really keen editors because there is a lot of learning involved, but as they work on Familypedia there should be no more difficulty for Fandom staff if other wikis are allowed to have them.

        Loading editor
    • Robin Patterson wrote: Semantic MediaWiki works passably on Familypedia, along with Semantic Forms (the predecessor to Page Forms). They are essential to most of the quarter-million articles. I trust that the eventual upgrade to MediaWiki version whatever will allow those to be upgraded as well. Not recommended for new wikis unless you have some really keen editors because there is a lot of learning involved, but as they work on Familypedia there should be no more difficulty for Fandom staff if other wikis are allowed to have them.

      We are committed to bringing Semantic MediaWiki and Cargo onto the UCP for the wikis on Fandom and Gamepedia which currently use them. We are not changing out position on access to SMW for further wikis at this time.

        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.