FANDOM

• current behavior: A link, which uses a previously created redirect page, which points to a page that does not yet exist, is treated as if the link exists in appearance. i.e. "Arthur Morgan (character)" may be the target page, but redirect pages for "Arthur" and "Arthur Morgan" pointing to this have previously been created.

desired behavior: Treat such links to redirects to reflect the status of the final redirected page.

reasoning: During the construction of a wiki, several such redirect pages may be created without the final content page being created, so that linking during editing will be easier. Such redirected links may be replaced with the non redirected link later by a bot. When looking at the content of the text, it would be more useful to know that there is no content behind the link, rather than knowing that no redirect exists yet.

Bonus desired feature, show such links in a different status than a no content status so it may be determined that a redirect exists, but no content exists.

Loading editor
    • This is the wrong place to request new features or feature changes. Contact FANDOM staff for that.

Loading editor
    • Doubtful they'll have time to even consider this.

Basically, you create Broken Redirects and are upset they're Broken Redirects? This is core functionality of MediaWiki, the only way to solve it is to make the actual page.

Loading editor
    • No more broken than inserting a link to content that does not yet exist. The redirect serves as a way to guide an editor into using a specific link for words or phrases that they may use to link, even though the ultimate destination of that link has not been created yet. It works in the link selection box, you see yellow for the redirect links that match, and you see the non-existent, yet previously referenced link as well, as it shows up on the list of pages that need content. The redirects are there as to not pollute the list of pages that need to be created with unapproved names. (edit) And to add to this list as well.

Loading editor
    • Thedarkgreenmeme wrote: No more broken than inserting a link to content that does not yet exist.

Yes, that's what a Broken Redirect is.

Loading editor
    • What I am saying is that list of Broken Redirects is not necessarily a bad thing in a wiki under construction. Having unwanted names or unwanted future content in this list is.

Loading editor
    • It's entirely your prerogative to have Broken Redirects. It's your wiki. But your suggestion isn't going to happen.

I think even with Semantic MediaWiki's redirect equality, a broken redirect will be a broken redirect.

Loading editor
    • It's not a bad idea, but of the many problems with FANDOM wikis, I would put it extremely low on the priority list. It really is mostly only a problem for those with OCD. Since I'm mildly OCD, my solution is to fill in the page and make the redirect not broken.

Loading editor
    • Sure, I can understand those viewpoints. However, I'd like to wait on empty content page creation until I can implement my dynamic template creation idea, which would automatically populate a content page with permitted sections and wikitext comments that refer to the rules for each section. Content that needs attention would have to be noticed and implemented by a patrolling bot.

Loading editor
    • Is there an actually FANDOM wiki where you plan to implement all this fancy stuff or is it just theoretical?

Loading editor
    • Ahh, it is a UCP wiki... you might want to wait on doing too much until the platform matures more.

Loading editor
    • That's what I figured. It gives me more time to add content and set the style. I am looking for a non-voting Technical Administrator volunteer, if you are interested.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.