FANDOM

• Can you get color and templates and stuff on discussions? What about the new forum format?

I'm talking about the <span style="color:#DD0000"> and {{Template}} stuff.

Loading editor
    • No. That stuff uses wikitext which is a feature of MediaWiki. Discussions, the new message walls, and the still-in-development new article comments all use a new feature called Feeds that is nearly (if not entirely) independent of MediaWiki. As such, these new discussion features cannot use wikitext and therefore cannot use templates, text colors, HTML, magic words, etc. With the new discussion features, if there isn't a button for it, you can't do it.

Loading editor
    • Are you working on setting something up so we can add MediaWiki to discussions and such?

Loading editor
    • For starters, I am neither a Fandom staff member nor a volunteer developer. So I am not working on anything. It has been over 3 years since Fandom started forcing new wikis to use Discussions instead of Forum. Complaints about not having wikitext support have been around ever since it was released; not just since they started forcing new wikis to use it. Let's just say that in those 3+ years, they have never once demonstrated even a hint of wavering on their position that incorporating wikitext is impractical, in efficient, and not worth the effort. So I wouldn't hold my breath for it if I were you.

Loading editor
    • Oof

Well thanks anyway

Loading editor
    • Just to be clear, FANDOM staff takes the position that wikitext support is "impractical, inefficient, and not worth the effort", but they have never given a convincing argument as to why. It mostly comes down to that they don't really have the expertise or resources and don't plan to get them.

Discussions is missing plenty of features without talking about wikitext support, so it really is more about FANDOM just not thinking Discussions needs certain features likely because they don't drive any revenue. As a Discussions moderator of pretty active boards, Discussions is a real pain to moderate, but FANDOM staff doesn't seem to make that job easier either.

Loading editor
    • I am equally frustrated but I don't think it is a matter of lacking expertise. If that were the case, they would have at least given my solution a try. To my knowledge, they didn't. However they came to their decision, it sounds like they won't settle for anything less than native support. Given that Feeds and MediaWiki are two different platforms, that is obviously never going to happen.

Okay. I use jQuery.getJSON and maybe they don't have jQuery in the Feeds environment. However, I know there are plenty of users like KockaAdmiralac that are perfectly capable of using JS's native XMLHttpRequest instead. So I don't see that as a reason why it wouldn't work. I also used jQuery to select the elements but even I could replace that part with vanilla JS if needed.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.