FANDOM

• MisterWoodhouse
    MisterWoodhouse closed this thread because:
    Closing old release thread to focus feedback onto newest thread
    16:42, April 15, 2020

Hey gang!

Not a whole lot of user-facing stuff to announce for this release, as it was mostly focused on bug fixes and behind the scenes prep for future releases.

Some of the bugs we fixed:

• A fatal exception error that was displacing the wiki main page
    • Some incorrect language preference handling for notices and call to action buttons
    • Some display issues related to main page columns in VE

If you're not on our official Discord server, you should definitely join because the #weekly-discussion this week is all about the UCP Editor.

We should have more to highlight next week. In the meantime, keep bringing on the feedback and bugs. We'll keep logging it and churning on the work.

Loading editor
    • When will CSS work?

Loading editor
    • Carpe Universum wrote: When will CSS work?

Soon. Can't give an exact ETA yet, but it's in the works.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: Soon. Can't give an exact ETA yet, but it's in the works.

Thank you.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: If you're not on our official Discord server, you should definitely join because the #weekly-discussion this week is all about the UCP Editor.

No and I really think you should stop pushing a third party app on us, especially for the major issues and upgrades of your actual platform. Those on discord are on and those refusing refuse- can we just leave it there. It is hard enough to keep people informed via blogs and tech threads updates to pass/forward to yet another way- seem counterproductive. If you have information there too that is fine but really stop telling us to definitely join to get information that we should be getting here first.

Sorry but this discord pushing is a pet peeve of mine since day 1.

Loading editor
    • I'm sorry you don't like Discord, Hollowness, but we're not going to stop encouraging its use. It is a useful tool for community engagement.

Worth noting that weekly discussion is a feedback prompt, not new info you can't get anywhere else.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: I'm sorry you don't like Discord, Hollowness, but we're not going to stop encouraging its use. It is a useful tool for community engagement.

Worth noting that weekly discussion is a feedback prompt, not new info you can't get anywhere else.

It is one thing to encourage- it is another to push.

Edit: I did not say you shouldn't have information nor to not use it as a tool. I said to stop pushing using lines like: definitely join if you aren't already is pushing not encouraging.

If you said something like: And don't forget you can also see our weekly discussions via discord, feel free to join - I wouldn't have replied at all because that is just encouraging to use another means/tool provided if one desires.

Loading editor
    • I know that our embrace of Discord is a sore spot for you, but that will not be changing our plans for it. We have over 2,300 users on the server and it has generated a lot of fantastic discussion between staff and editors.

That's such a minor thing, the verbiage. Are you sure it wasn't influenced by your dislike for Discord and our strategy with it?

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: I know that our embrace of Discord is a sore spot for you, but that will not be changing our plans for it. We have over 2,300 users on the server and it has generated a lot of fantastic discussion between staff and editors.

I'd really appreciate you not twisting my words. I clearly said: "those on discord are on" (as in that is fine) and "If you have information there too that is fine".

I am in no way trying to shut down or discourage the use of discord but when fandom's tone comes across as pushing/force feeding, as feedback, I am encouraging you to maybe use a less finite or absolute tone like If you're not on our official Discord server, you should definitely join.

MisterWoodhouse wrote: That's such a minor thing, the verbiage. Are you sure it wasn't influenced by your dislike for Discord and our strategy with it?

When you come across as pushing and force feeding something someone doesn't want, yes, verbiage can be the difference between reaction and non-reaction. And to be fair it isn't even the fact it is discord- any third party app that would require me to have yet another account to have full use of your platform IS the pet peeve.

MisterWoodhouse wrote: Let's drop it.
      Hollowness wrote:Those on discord are on and those refusing refuse- can we just leave it there.
        Loading editor
    • Let's drop it.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote: If you're not on our official Discord server, you should definitely join because the #weekly-discussion this week is all about the UCP Editor.

No and I really think you should stop pushing a third party app on us, especially for the major issues and upgrades of your actual platform. Those on discord are on and those refusing refuse- can we just leave it there. It is hard enough to keep people informed via blogs and tech threads updates to pass/forward to yet another way- seem counterproductive. If you have information there too that is fine but really stop telling us to definitely join to get information that we should be getting here first.

Sorry but this discord pushing is a pet peeve of mine since day 1.

I'm sorry, no offense, but Hollowness is right. No one should push or force anyone into using a service that they don't want to use.

Saying that someone "should definitely join" isn't exactly the same as saying "you must definitely join," but it's close. It's kind of like when Microsoft offered their infamous "free Windows 10 upgrade" on owners of Windows 7 or 8.1 back in 2015-16, which ruined a lot of people's computers when they started forcing the update on them.

A better way to say it would be: "If you're interested, you might consider joining our official discord server to talk more with our staff about the UCP, as we'll be talking about the UCP editor this week." I'm just giving my take on it.

-Arthur Read fan 

Loading editor
    • At this point, this is just arguing semantics. Join the Discord or not, it's ultimately up to you and no one's directly forcing you to do so. Not the end of the world regardless lol

Loading editor
    • LieutenantNaps wrote:
      At this point, this is just arguing semantics. Join the Discord or not, it's ultimately up to you and no one's directly forcing you to do so. Not the end of the world regardless lol

Agreed. Couldn't have said that better myself.

-Arthur Read fan 

Loading editor
    • Arthur Read fan wrote: It's kind of like when Microsoft offered their infamous "free Windows 10 upgrade" on owners of Windows 7 or 8.1 back in 2015-16, which ruined a lot of people's computers when they started forcing the update on them. -Arthur Read fan 

This happened to me, pestered and pestered to update I tried the free trail but suddenly had to go away for a month and when I got back I forgot I was on the trail and once I realized I forgot to revert I couldn't revert and a shortly after it actually wiped my computer completely with no recovery. THIS is a good example of why I dislike repetitive pestering.

And as for LieutenantNaps comment, I was leaving feedback which I am allowed. Even if it is still a choice and not the end of the world- feedback is allowed and I will continue to give it. And we did conclude this discussion on our own.

Loading editor
    • The great irony of the Discord controversy is that it isn't the only place where FANDOM point users to a third-party that they may not want to use.

As far as I know you can't do anything on Gamepedia without having a Twitch account. That's way worse than the Discord thing. It also is painful to login to Gamepedia because of the Twitch thing. I commend people who are willing to put up with it.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: The great irony of the Discord controversy is that it isn't the only place where FANDOM point users to a third-party that they may not want to use.

As far as I know you can't do anything on Gamepedia without having a Twitch account. That's way worse than the Discord thing. It also is painful to login to Gamepedia because of the Twitch thing. I commend people who are willing to put up with it.

I do remember you mentioning this before and that truly does suck more.

Edit: if we had a choice of which of those two things be remedied- I'd pick that actual issue; over my pet peeve.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

Arthur Read fan wrote: It's kind of like when Microsoft offered their infamous "free Windows 10 upgrade" on owners of Windows 7 or 8.1 back in 2015-16, which ruined a lot of people's computers when they started forcing the update on them. -Arthur Read fan 

This happened to me, pestered and pestered to update I tried the free trail but suddenly had to go away for a month and when I got back I forgot I was on the trail and once I realized I forgot to revert I couldn't revert and a shortly after it actually wiped my computer completely with no recovery. THIS is a good example of why I dislike repetitive pestering.

I know, right? Thankfully, it never happened to me or my Lenovo ThinkPad T420 laptop, which I still have to this day. It still runs Windows 7 Pro. I got it in April 2016, and I remember having to keep it away from the internet and updates for the most part, at least until about October 2016, when Microsoft FINALLY stopped with the free Windows 10 promotions. Fortunately, updates were (and still are) set to manual on my laptop, but I figured to err on the side of caution, just in case.

-Arthur Read fan 

Loading editor
    • I also have a beef with Windows 10 although not because I forgot to switch back to 7 (though I regret that as well). However, if we want to have a "bash Windows 10" thread, it would probably be best to have it on one of our walls rather than filling this thread with irrelevant conversation.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      I also have a beef with Windows 10 although not because I forgot to switch back to 7 (though I regret that as well). However, if we want to have a "bash Windows 10" thread, it would probably be best to have it on one of our walls rather than filling this thread with irrelevant conversation.

Yeah, true. We're kind of going off-topic. I'll probably start a thread about Windows 10, but not right now at the moment, because I'm going to be busy with other things. 

-Arthur Read fan 

Loading editor
    • Yeah, lets get back on topic please.

Loading editor
    • ?

Loading editor
    • Will FANDOM continue using Discord for community engagement in the long run? Or will UCP contain a feature to replace Discord?

Loading editor
    • Forbym wrote: Will FANDOM continue using Discord for community engagement in the long run? Or will UCP contain a feature to replace Discord?

Discord remains a part of our community engagement plan. It provides best-in-class engagement tools in a scalable manner without the cost of something like Slack. We're really happy with how it has turned out, from the Ask Me Anything series to Community Checkpoint and the aforementioned Weekly Discussion prompts. This week's prompt is about "new to you" entertainment, since so many releases have been delayed by the worldwide health crisis.

Loading editor
    • Is there an estimated time for when MediaWiki:Wikia.css and/or DPLforum will become available? Those are the two things preventing the early migration for my wiki's testing wiki.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote: Is there an estimated time for when MediaWiki:Wikia.css and/or DPLforum will become available? Those are the two things preventing the early migration my wiki's testing wiki.

Not one I can share yet.

Loading editor
    • More central list of UCP info

If you see a problem with the UCP, please review this list kindly hosted by Noreplyz, before reporting it as a comment to this technical updates thread: User:Noreplyz/UCP

If you don't see your problem in the list, feel free to add it, but try to use proper spelling and grammar. Screenshots and other evidence are also appreciated.

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.