FANDOM

• I have the images linked to the article/category in the form of an image gallery and has been very easy to use/navigate but I noticed that they do not work the same way in mobile mode. AND on top of that I have been considering expanding much much further with this form of navigation.

Now, I should say my wiki is more desktop viewed than mobile so going to be exclusively for mobile is not on my mind at all. But I don't want to completely alienate mobile view users either.

I also noticed TOC links don't work in mobile view either making some of my more helpful pages not so helpful.

So my question is should I just wait till UCP is complete in case it supports more mobile friendly features that are currently desktop view only or should I be looking into other navigation methods that are for both mobile and desktop view and not ugly as sin. Or is there are way to have a disclaimer notice on mobile view only to say the site only fully works in desktop view?

And as a separate question for galleries is there a way to have hover changes? Like inverting image, flipping or gray scaling- when you mouse over.

Loading editor
    • There are multiple reasons not to use images (and only images) as navigational links. Aside from portability (image links and touchscreen? I think not), they're not recognized by search engine crawlers or screen readers. I would reconsider expanding if I were you. Navboxes are also not available on mobile because they don't transfer well to the small screen, and heat maps show they generally get little to no traffic.

Your wiki may be more desktop viewed (check in Analytics) but Google crawlers only check the mobile performance nowadays. It's not something you can just shove under the rug. UCP is not going to cram all the functionality of a desktop into a tiny screen.

Loading editor
    • So there is no decent options, is the bottom line?

Loading editor
    • Well the good thing is (I guess that besides my main page/which has a separate mobile view anyways) most of these nav galleries are on category pages with the corresponding links most likely below. And in other incidences a link to a non-gallery link list is present. So it is almost a dual navigation system.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: There are multiple reasons not to use images (and only images) as navigational links. Aside from portability (image links and touchscreen? I think not), ...

Have you seen the legacy platform's mobile main page? If what you say is true, then the mobile main page feature does the opposite of encouraging a good mobile design. Aside from the wiki description, it is just images that link to pages.

Loading editor
    • It has an image and text. Using just an image is a bad idea.

Loading editor
    • Okay, fair point. I didn't realize the parenthesis was a critical component of your comment.

Loading editor
    • Then I'll clarify my navigation galleries also have text.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.