FANDOM

• Hey gang and happy Wednesday!

We just put out a new release that includes a number of bug fixes and a few additions. Here are some highlights:

Portable Infobox Builder

It is now on the Unified Community Platform! While infobox creation was already possible, the purpose-built tool for it is now live for all the new wikis.

Message Wall admin toggle

The ability to switch from Message Wall to User Talk Pages on a UCP wiki has been added to the admin dashboard.

Link tooltip in new Editor

The undismissable tooltip indicator for the Link feature in the new Editor has been corrected.

Message Wall bug fixes

We corrected some bugs related to post removal, including the real-time disappearing of removed posts and users without the right permissions seeing an unactionable Remove Post button.

Localization

Profile and Message Wall both respect language preferences now.

---

We're continuing to document the bugs and feedback you're reporting. I don't have any recurring patterns to talk about today like I did last week, but rest assured that the feedback is flowing to the right people.

Loading editor
    • Cocopuff2018
      Cocopuff2018 removed this reply because:
      hi
      15:14, March 25, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • Yes, InfoboxBuilder. I also noticed the [[ ]] source editor button is now a more visible color.

Loading editor
    • Two bugs:

• The Message Wall toggle in the AdminDashboard didn't immediately take affect, after pressing it the first time and reloading it was back to being On, it took two more press/refresh cycles to stay in the Off position
      • After the Message Wall feature is Off the Message Wall tab on the profile is gone but is not replaced with a User Talk tab like with what happens on non-UCP wikis. If User talk is going to be treated as an alternative to Message Walls there needs be an easy way to access it.
        Loading editor
    • It appears InfoboBuilder is not available to anons. Is that restriction intentional?

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin#4
      After the Message Wall feature is Off the Message Wall tab on the profile is gone but is not replaced with a User Talk tab like with what happens on non-UCP wikis. If User talk is going to be treated as an alternative to Message Walls there needs be an easy way to access it.

The talk page can be found by accessing to the user's profile, and hover your mouse over the dropdown next to the edit button. You will see "Talk (0)". That's how a user's talk page can be found. The user talk option can also be found by going to user's contributions.  But yeah, a user talk tab would be helpful. 

Loading editor
    • That's... not a great place for it as an alternative to Message Walls but it's good to know that there's a link leading you to the User talk page from somewhere

Loading editor
    • I noticed a bug with UserRights - if you give a user temporary rights, then the user on trial can simply change the rights expiry to indefinite. It makes no sense to give temporary rights when the user can just permanentize it themselves.

Loading editor
    • TortoiseCat5#8
      I noticed a bug with UserRights - if you give a user temporary rights, then the user on trial can simply change the rights expiry to indefinite. It makes no sense to give temporary rights when the user can just permanentize it themselves.

I don't see a bug with user rights.

Thread-moderator and content moderator on UCP cannot remove their own rights, unlike the older platform.

If you grant a user admin rights for a definite time, the admin cannot change the expiry time in their own user right, unless they have bureaucrat right. Any bureaucrat in a wiki can customize expiry dates for themselves.

Loading editor
    • Applemasterexpert wrote:

TortoiseCat5#8
      I noticed a bug with UserRights - if you give a user temporary rights, then the user on trial can simply change the rights expiry to indefinite. It makes no sense to give temporary rights when the user can just permanentize it themselves.

I don't see a bug with user rights.

Thread-moderator and content moderator on UCP cannot remove their own rights, unlike the older platform.

If you grant a user admin rights for a definite time, the admin cannot change the expiry time in their own user right, unless they have bureaucrat right. Any bureaucrat in a wiki can customize expiry dates for themselves.

Not an issue I'm seeing.

Loading editor
    • Applemasterexpert wrote:

Himmalerin#4
      After the Message Wall feature is Off the Message Wall tab on the profile is gone but is not replaced with a User Talk tab like with what happens on non-UCP wikis. If User talk is going to be treated as an alternative to Message Walls there needs be an easy way to access it.

The talk page can be found by accessing to the user's profile, and hover your mouse over the dropdown next to the edit button. You will see "Talk (0)". That's how a user's talk page can be found. The user talk option can also be found by going to user's contributions.  But yeah, a user talk tab would be helpful. 

Reported as a bug — this is confusing.

Loading editor
    • Special:InfoboxBuilder bugs:

• After following the flow to create an infobox (Press "New Page" button, input "Template:TemplateName", Select template type as "Infobox") you get taken to the Special:InfoboxBuilder/Template:TemplateName but the infobox builder never loads. Refreshing the page causes it to successfully load.
      • When modifying Section Headers the text explaining Collapsible Section Headers is duplicated:
      2020-03-26 10-4031 grim
        Loading editor
    • I got the infobox loader to work straight away. Took a couple of seconds but didn't need to refresh.

Loading editor
    • That's weird, maybe it's a firefox issue. I can consistently reproduce it on the lastest Firefox Nightly. I'll test in Chromium I guess

Edit: After testing in Chromium (loaded without requiring a refresh) I went back and tested Firefox and it too is now loading without requiring a refresh which is odd given that it used to happen every single time I went to use the InfoboxBuilder

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote: Special:InfoboxBuilder bugs:

• After following the flow to create an infobox (Press "New Page" button, input "Template:TemplateName", Select template type as "Infobox") you get taken to the Special:InfoboxBuilder/Template:TemplateName but the infobox builder never loads. Refreshing the page causes it to successfully load.
      • When modifying Section Headers the text explaining Collapsible Section Headers is duplicated:
      2020-03-26 10-4031 grim

Bug report filed — thanks.

Loading editor
    • I really want to see various permissions restored for local usergroups. Such as Content Moderators and Discussion Moderators being able to revoke their own rights.

To have any local usergroups not being able to revoke their own rights puts them at a disadvantage, as no one except Administrators can revoke Discussion Moderator (and Chat Moderator) rights from users, while no one except Bureaucrats can revoke Content Moderator (and Rollback) rights from users.

On one occasion in 2015 I had to ask a Bureaucrat to remove Rollback rights from my account, as I didn't need Rollback rights when I already had Administrator rights. While on another occasion in 2015, I had to ask Staff to remove Rollback rights from my account, as the only Bureaucrat at the time was inactive, and as an Administrator I could not revoke my own Rollback rights.

When Chat Moderators, Rollbackers, Discussion Moderators, and Content Moderators were granted the ability to revoke their own rights, I felt that it was a step in the right direction, and therefore I hope that all the local usergroups that currently can't revoke their own rights on UCP wikis will eventually be able to.

Loading editor
    • For the sake of convenience, I agree with you that it doesn't make sense to not allow users to voluntarily demote themselves. That said, I think any user who would willing demote themselves would also be the same type of user that would be responsible enough for the extra groups to not be an issue.

Loading editor
    • If the rights setup is different than on old Fandom, that's likely a bug, not intentional. We'll have to verify this and pass it to our developers.                                                           

Loading editor
    • Bug:
      Gallery - Captions in mode="packed-overlay" & mode="packed-hover" sometimes are not in the correct position. mode="slideshow" sometimes does not display images.

Screenshot 2020-03-28-08-41-32-78
        Loading editor
    • I can't say for sure but I think Fandom might be overriding the default gallery tags with its own gallery extension. Try using the gallery syntax for the legacy platform.

Loading editor
    • Actually Captions in mode="packed-overlay" & mode="packed-hover" works well. It's likely the same mistake as me editing a page on the mobile platform with source editor. Which is where the cursor is not in the correct position.

Fandom gallery attributes are not compatible with mode={traditional|nolines|packed|packed-hover|packed-overlay|slideshow}. And the original gallery attributes (caption, heights, perrow, showfilename, showthumbnails) are also not compatible with standard galleries (without mode). Except widhts

Loading editor
    • Well, I wouldn't have expected to be able to use the legacy Fandom gallery attributes with "mode". I just wasn't sure if maybe the built-in gallery tags where being suppressed so that Fandom's custom extension could be used instead. Apparently, that isn't the case. Although, it looks like the legacy syntax still works as well.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      It appears InfoboBuilder is not available to anons. Is that restriction intentional?

Maybe FANDOM wants to phase out anonymous users I guess.

Loading editor
    • Seems like an odd way to do it if that was the intent. They could have just disabled anon editing as a whole.

Loading editor
    • Is it available to anons on Legacy? I wouldn't want anons creating infoboxes, tbh.

Loading editor
    • Yes, as far as I am aware. And I just tested it again. At the very least, they can use the interface. I didn't try to actually save any changes.

Loading editor
    • Are the New image galleries going to be available on UCP Wikis or is the feature going to disappear once UCP roles out?

Loading editor
    • Apologies is this has already been noted. There are just so many posts at this point it honestly don't feel like reading them all just to check that it hasn't already been reported.

As demonstrated in this thread, there appears to be in issue with linking images to pages. I haven't done any extensive testing or anything so I can't really speak to the extent of the issue. However, I can say that the images link properly in the preview but not on the rendered page.

I feel like there was another issue I wanted to mention but I forgot.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Apologies is this has already been noted. There are just so many posts at this point it honestly don't feel like reading them all just to check that it hasn't already been reported.

As demonstrated in this thread, there appears to be in issue with linking images to pages. I haven't done any extensive testing or anything so I can't really speak to the extent of the issue. However, I can say that the images link properly in the preview but not on the rendered page.

I feel like there was another issue I wanted to mention but I forgot.

Bug report has been filed.

Loading editor
    • Another issue that may have been already noted regarding the image issue: When trying to scale images past their actual size, instead of becoming larger they just get a white background where there should be an up-scaled image.

Correct (Non-UCP wiki):

2020-04-01 12-3041 grim

Incorrect (UCP wiki):

2020-04-01 12-3048 grim
        Loading editor
    • It seems to be a similar cause. It seems like UCP uses "fixed-aspect-ratio-down" regardless of the specified dimensions. In comparison, the legacy platform uses "scale-to-width-down" when scaling to a smaller size and nothing when scaling to a larger size.

Loading editor
    • More central list of UCP info

If you see a problem with the UCP, please review this list kindly hosted by Noreplyz, before reporting it as a comment to this technical updates thread: User:Noreplyz/UCP

If you don't see your problem in the list, feel free to add it, but try to use proper spelling and grammar. Screenshots and other evidence are also appreciated.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.