FANDOM

• Hello, again. A few other Star Wars fans and I founded a small Wiki on 20 March. However, we ran into a little issue. Everything is different than what we're all used to. The fonts are different, the other guys can't create pages on other devices, and we can't access templates. The whole interface is different. I even tried accessing the CSS in order to fix some things, but it doesn't even work. I can't even access Wiki Features. The weirdest thing is that none of the other wikis are like this. Any idea what happened as of the founding date? Thanks, in advance!

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • Is there any way to switch back, or do we just have to get used to it?

Loading editor
    • Octology wrote:
      Is there any way to switch back, or do we just have to get used to it?

Staff said they won't switch it back since it's so outdated.

Loading editor
    • Skyline97 wrote:
      Octology wrote:
      Is there any way to switch back, or do we just have to get used to it?
      Staff said they won't switch it back since it's so outdated.

But it's so much better! Seems dumb. If they're trying to 'fix it' why don't they 'fix' the other wikis? And why do they have to let it on us if it's clearly not even ready yet. This is disappointing.

Loading editor
    • The fact that a lot of features are currently missing is the exact reason why they haven't migrated any pre-existing wikis yet. However, they will be doing that as features become available. As of the last timeline estimate, most/all wikis will be using the new platform by the end of 2020.

As for why they rolled the new platform out for new wikis, that is a whole discussion that staff and users are already having. In favor of rolling it out:

1. Most new wikis don't require advanced features; so not having them isn't a huge issue
      2. It gets new communities/users introduced to the new platform so it isn't a surprise to them when pre-existing wikis migrate later
      3. It provides pre-existing users an opportunity to get used to the new platform before their communities get migrated
      4. It allows further refinement of the new platform through collection of actual performance data and user feedback

Points that have been raised against rolling it out:

1. It is still not developed enough; more testing should have been done before rolling it out
        • Even if there aren't as many features, there shouldn't be this many obvious bugs
      2. New users should not have to deal with bugs and changing features
        • Since they are new, they may not even know what is a bug and what isn't
        • Since pre-existing users haven't had time to test it out, how does the community help new users who want to do this and that? It is the blind leading the blind.
      3. With so few features ready to go, users are probably going to create a new wiki and then be disappointed when they find out they can't replicate a design they saw on an older wiki.
        Loading editor
    • Hmm. I don't like it. I feel like 1. and 2. are major points that I feel like should stop them from using new founders as guinea pigs.

It seems that it doesn't give editors any base Infoboxes. Do I have to create those from Scratch?

Loading editor
    • They are not copied automatically but the old starter templates should still work. You can find them on Fandom Starter Pages.

Loading editor
    • Thanks, as usual. I hope they reconsider, but I'm glad we all have people like you to help new editors through.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

They are not copied automatically but the old starter templates should still work. You can find them on Fandom Starter Pages.

Well, unfortunately this isn't true either, because at some point the several of the "old starter templates" were changed to use Lua which doesn't work in the UCP. One example is w:c:starter:Template:MessageBox which also doesn't have a pre-Lua version. And to add insult to injury, the non-Lua version was deleted, so you can't even grab the source from history.

Loading editor
    • Shoot, really? Well that complicates things. As I was reading this I was thinking I could get the source, but obviously that isn't the case either. 

Loading editor
    • You can find the source of some templates by digging around other wikis, but you are running into one of my core complaints about the new UCP wikis. SInce we can't see the new "starter" UCP wiki, we can't tell what is supposed to be in new wikis and if the copy process fails, we can't even manually copy what was supposed to be there.

When I posed this problem to FANDOM staff, I got the brush off. They just aren't ready to care. You'll be guinea pigs and if you don't like it, tuff sh!t.

Loading editor
    • Seems that way right now huh, lol.

Loading editor
    • It is true that you won't be able to copy Lua-based temapltes at the moment. However, most templates are not Lua-based and can be copied just fine. As it is, Module:Mbox, as posted on the starter wiki, has some issues anyways.

Note that you shouldn't need to copy Template:!. The new platform should have a magic word for this instead. The magic word is used in the same manner as the template so you shouldn't need to adapt your usage.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.