FANDOM

• I'm creating a french language wiki. some pages refer to en.wp, so it's easy to have <wp:pagename>-link in the text but in the help pages there are 2 possible ways for linking to the french fr.wp pages <wp:fr:pagename> <fr:pagename> neither of the yield the desired result

who has tips. D

Loading editor
    • Help:Interlanguage link. in order to use fr:pagename links, wikis have to be linked.

Loading editor
    • Well, the second link seems to be working here. I am not sure where you got that third link from. I would not expect that one to link to the French Wikipedia so if you saw that in an actual example please tell me where so I can correct the example.

Interlanguage links can be thought of as a special kind of interwiki link. The interwiki prefix is a language code and the target is a different language version of the same wiki. So using an interlanguage link on your wiki (or any Fandom wiki) would not link to Wikipedia since Wikipedia isn't even a Fandom wiki.

Interwiki links are recognized because there is a list of prefixes that have special meaning. If a prefix is not on the list, then it won't get recognized as an interwiki link. If I recall correctly, "wp" is not on the list for most Fandom wikis; Community Central is an exception for some reason. Therefore, you cannot use "wp" to link to Wikipedia; you need to use "wikipedia".

Loading editor
    • hi , thanks for your reply a) I requested a link to fr.wikipedia b) wp:pagename works , because its in the [Mediawiki:interwiki_map] c) wp:fr:pagename will not work it should be Wikipedia:fr:pagename,according to the Help:interwiki page; so i will retest that, but i recall that Wikipedia:fr:pagename is rendered to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/fr:moteur

Loading editor
    • retested and Wikipedia:fr:pagename seems to be post processed and land on the correct page

D

Loading editor
    • I am glad it worked for you. Out of curiosity, which wiki is this for? Also, the "wp" example isn't on the help page because I removed it.

Loading editor
    • I reverted my change to the help page because apparently some wikis actually do have this prefix. It looks like it was added in April 2014 so maybe it is just wiki created prior to that don't have it?

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: I am glad it worked for you.

MD Mini Tanger

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Also, the "wp" example isn't on the help page because I removed it.

I reverted my change to the help page because apparently some wikis actually do have this prefix. It looks like it was added in April 2014 so maybe it is just wiki created prior to that don't have it?

It in the list under the link interwikimap Mediawiki:interwikimap

Loading editor
    • Yes, not but all wikis have the same interwiki map and MediaWiki:Interwiki_map is available only on Community Central. For instance, using "wp" would not work on this wiki or this wiki.

Loading editor
    • ok wp: seemed to work on my wiki

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.