FANDOM

• What's wrong with tables in VisualEditor? I'm trying to add a table to my page but the table comes out all wonky after I save changes. Most annoyingly, one of the columns becomes an enlarged caption, a few of the cells gets shifted all over, and I have entire sections of rows just missing or scrunched up into another row. The hell?

Also the wiki page I'm working on is https://extendedrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Monk

Loading editor
    • The issue is the "+" some of your cell contents have. For some reason, VisualEditor is not wrapping all of them in nowiki tags. You can either do that yourself or add a space in front of them so that they don't get misinterpreted as caption content.

What VisualEditor is Doing

{| class="wikitable"
      |+caption
      |Cell1
      |+Cell2
      |}

caption
      Cell1
      Cell2

What VisualEditor Should Do

{| class="wikitable"
      |+caption
      |Cell1
      |<nowiki>+Cell2</nowiki>
      |}

caption
      Cell1 +Cell2

Quick Alternative to Adding Nowiki Tags

{| class="wikitable"
      |+caption
      |Cell1
      | +Cell2
      |}

caption
      Cell1 +Cell2
        Loading editor
    • Thanks man, I thought something was wrong with VisualEditor so I dredged through the classic editor guides to make the table the long way around.

Loading editor
    • You could report this to staff but I am not sure if they would do anything since they are busy with the UCP and the current VisualEditor will be retired once UCP is fully functional.

Loading editor
    • What the heck is UCP? Sorry I'm super un-techsavvy.

Loading editor
    • Unified Community Platform. You can have a look at this article for more information. I'd highly recommend learning about it as it's a very important development ongoing. :)

Loading editor
    • Nice! I didn't know they had that page.

To summarize, the UCP is a new version of the current platform, MediaWiki. However, there are so many differences between the new and current versions that the new one is essentially a different platform when it comes to the user experience. Starting this past Wednesday, all new wikis are created using the UCP. As more features become available to UCP wikis, pre-existing wikis will be migrated from the current platform to UCP. In the end, all wikis will be using the UCP.

Loading editor
    • Thanks guys

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.