FANDOM

• Hi, i am translating a page to my native language. What i must do for not violate copyrights? I linked original page to my page. What i need to do after this?

Loading editor
    • What needs to be done depends on the license of the wiki you are copying it from. Most wikis use CC-by-SA but you should double check just to be sure. The rest of this reply assumes CC-by-SA.

You must give "attribution". Unfortunately, this means different things to different people. Some people consider importing the page with complete history to count as attribution. This, however, is probably not ideal for your case since you are translating the page. A link on its own would probably not be considered attribution unless it is clear from the context that it is pointing to a source page. For example, you would want to do something like "translated from wikiA" as opposed to just "wikiA". I have seen some wikis okay with just a mention in the page source text; if you know how to insert notes.

Regardless, keep in mind that some people will still not like you copying the content even if you are well within the terms of the license. There are some users who feel (albeit incorrectly) that they "own" the content. There is a current thread (here) about this very issue.

Loading editor
    • yes original wiki use CC-by-SA. Where to type "translated from wikiA'?

Loading editor
    • That text was just an example of what you could do. There is no cross-wiki standard on how to give attribution. Typically, something like that would go either at the very top or very bottom of the article. Usually wikis will put a box or something around it so it sands out from the rest of the text. Because of this, it is typically created as a template such that the appearance will be the same on all pages.

Loading editor
    • Oh. Ok, i will do that. Thanks you :)

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.