FANDOM

• MisterWoodhouse
    MisterWoodhouse closed this thread because:
    Closing old release thread to focus feedback onto newest thread
    16:43, April 15, 2020

Hey gang!

This is a new sort of Tech Update that I'm calling Release Highlights. It will focus on each noteworthy release for the UCP. Edited new to noteworthy, due to expected release cadence later in the process.

This is the first one, meaning that new wikis can be created on the UCP now! Existing wikis will remain on the legacy Fandom and Gamepedia platforms until UCP is ready for them.

We are considering this first release basically an "open beta" version of the platform. It is for very simple wikis and serves to help us understand how the new codebase performs under normal load. The greater the editor count, the better the data we collect.

Let me reiterate that. This is NOT the feature complete release. We will continue to have releases which add new functionality until Phase 1 is complete and obviously continue to fix bugs throughout Phase 1 (next several months) and beyond. Release cadence will be swift.

Here are some benefits from the MediaWiki 1.33 upgrade that Eva picked out for highlighting:

• User rights can expire. You just want to make someone admin while you’re out for a 1-month vacation? No problem: On MediaWiki 1.33, when you promote a user, you have the option to enter an expiry date. Once that date is reached, the user will automatically lose that right again.
    • RecentChanges is much improved. For example, it offers live updates that communities previously had to add via custom script. You can also save your filters, so you don’t have to reset them every time.
    • Better Visual Editor that we’ve improved further with some Fandom styling and UX improvements. Details can be found in my blog.
    • You can choose your gender preference. You can decide in your user preferences which pronouns you want to use, and whether you want the male or female version of “user” applied to you (for languages where there is such a difference).
    • Additional watchlist options in your user preferences. For instance, you can edit your watchlist (called followed pages on old Fandom) directly from Special:Preferences.

There are some known issues we'd like to lay out:

• The admin setting to choose User Talk pages over the new Message Wall has not fully been implemented, due to an issue. A fix is coming soon, but in the meantime, staff can make the switch for you.
    • Adding a video to an article from the editor is not implemented, with a fix for that coming very soon as well.
    • The full range of copyright scenarios for image uploads does not display, making "This is my own work" the only option, despite the veracity of that statement.
    • Localization strings have changed from custom Fandom translations built up over years on the forked 1.19 platform to the standard MediaWiki translations on 1.33, so some of the terms which non-EN users see will have changed.

And, as promised, here is the wiki you can treat as a fun sandbox for playing around with the new editor . Community Connect attendees will remember that I promised to name it Wreck-It Woodhouse and so I did.

If you encounter bugs, please continue to report them appropriately.

Welcome to the UCP. Welcome to the future of Fandom.

Loading editor
    • Really like the new RC functions, always liked it in the Wikipedia and now we're finally getting it, too.^^

Loading editor
    • Couple more issues:

• Editing preferences on UCP wikis resets (or changes) some preferences on non-UCP wikis
      • Your global.[css|js] files aren't imported and your personal .css files aren't used either.
      • Trying to edit Personal .js files that are NOT called wikia.js result in an error: "As an anti-abuse measure, you are limited from performing this action too many times in a short space of time, and you have exceeded this limit. Please try again in a few minutes." apparently this is the case on non-ucp wikis as well
      • On screens smaller than 761px the global navigation becomes unusable, with search, user dropdown, and notifications disappearing.

Questions:

• Extension:DPLForum isn't included, we will still be getting that as an alternative to Feeds, correct?
      • Special:Search is still the current search feature, will we be getting the newer MediaWiki search?
      • I don't personally use it but I'm curious: Special:WikiActivity no longer exists. Is it coming back or is everyone going to use RC from now on?
      • Is the new masthead/profile going to always be loaded with JavaScript? The jumping about of content is very distracting and makes it hard to click on the thing you meant to click on

Overall though, quite lovely! I'm enjoying the newer RC a lot.

Loading editor
    • MechQueste
      MechQueste removed this reply because:
      nvm
      19:30, March 11, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • We do not have JS Review in this release, which is why you're seeing the JS issues.

We haven't brought over all the extensions yet. Since the Forums retirement has not happened, DPLForum was not sized as a Day 1 requirement.

I believe the small screen issue has been ticketed.

Not sure on the masthead design specifics.

Loading editor
    • good

Loading editor
    • yes

Loading editor
    • This feels like a life accomplishment. This is amazing!

Anyways, here's a several of issues out of the dozens that I would like to talk about:

• The fieldset in Special:Contributions (or "Activity") is not modernized.
      • Where's Special:WikiActivity? The wiki activity button takes me to Special:RecentChanges.
      • Where's page values in the three lines in the visual editor?
      • In the source editor, the mobile cursor (with desktop site enabled) is not in the same place as the selected text.
      • I tried the Message Wall only once, but the main messaging function didn't work at all.
      • I tried transcluding my userpage template that is from Community Central, but it threw me an error.
      • There are a lot of errors in the console.
      • MediaWiki:Noarticletext is different in UCP. Will the modified versions of that system message remain the same?
      • CSS/JS isn't loaded at all and their pages don't have the ace editor.
        Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

I believe the small screen issue has been ticketed.

This dates back to a similar bug that was ticketed in the non-ucp version back in 2018 Also, the new localization strings is mostly for new features that MW1.33 gives (Bumping up from 1.19)

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

• Where's Special:WikiActivity? The wiki activity button takes me to Special:RecentChanges.

And even directly typing in "Special:WikiActivity", the page does not exist.

Loading editor
    • Another issue: The little caret thing when you go to create a link isn't positioned correctly:
      2020-03-11 12-4138 grim

For those wondering if MediaWiki:Welcome-message-wall-user is used, I tested and it doesn't look like it is.

Loading editor
    • When editing Common.css...

You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reason:

You do not have permission to edit this CSS page because it may affect all visitors.

Permissions for editing of sitewide CSS/JS/JSON files were recently separated from the editinterface right. If you do not understand why you are getting this error, see mw:MediaWiki_1.32/interface-admin.

And Common.js gives anti abuse warning. The wikis.css and wikia.js don't work at all.

Loading editor
    • More issues I can report:

• Setting preferences and such reset the preferences and signature on regular Fandom.
      • When you're clearing the notices in the VisualEditor, it says "0 notices". Although that does definitely make sense that there are no more notices, it's unnecessary to show that there are 0 notices.
      • There's only editor instructions on the links and not anything else like text formatting, citing, using headings etc.
      • {{DISPLAYTITLE}} doesn't work.
      • The source editor has a really large line height.
      • The masthead doesn't include other details like location, birthday, occupation and gender.
      • The notifications dropdown is absurdly wide.
      • My edit count in that wiki shows that it is 35002, when it's supposed to be 2.
      • There are 47 edits on that wiki, but the recent changes page doesn't show 47 edits.
      • The Community page from Discussions leads to the main page.
      • The Recent Wiki Activity module shows UTC time only.
        Loading editor
    • Universal Omega
      Universal Omega removed this reply because:
      It ouputed a white page, but still worked
      17:20, March 11, 2020
    • My main problem is with interlinking, I guess I have to create the template on that community :(

Loading editor
    • Testing out message walls - the message in the notif dropdown puts a white line between the "X has written a message on your wall" (or whatevs) and the title of the post.

Also, not localized yet but that was expected.

Loading editor
    • I've left some comments on my few test edits.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:
      • The masthead doesn't include other details like location, birthday, occupation and gender.

That's by design. We switched to a freeform bio with the Profile changes.

I'm looking into the other stuff.

Loading editor
    • Alright, thanks for the info!

Loading editor
    • Another issue:when an account is globally blocked, the message on their contribs page is missing.

Loading editor
    • Regarding the new source editor: will there be some options such as common used templates to be inserted? Or maybe common summary messages? These kind of things are really usefull, so it would be very nice to see these kind of features (even if it requires some custom JS, as it is the case now) on the new editor.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

And, as promised, here is the wiki you can treat as a fun sandbox for playing around with the new editor . Community Connect attendees will remember that I promised to name it Wreck-It Woodhouse and so I did.

I just happen to comment on your blog about a Sandbox wiki for people to play with, good job!

Loading editor
    • Screenshot 2020-03-11-14-51-20

The FANDOM bar is broken.

Loading editor
    • ^ Both the header and the footer are broken.

Loading editor
    • The toolbar is collapsed on every new wiki you enter. I hope that doesn't stay a thing.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote: More issues I can report:

• There are 47 edits on that wiki, but the recent changes page doesn't show 47 edits.

Did you filter in Minor edits? by default it is unselected.

Loading editor
    • A running Feedback list I'll keep all my P's and Q's in this:

• Love that avatars upload at a higher resolution.
      • Personal CSS not working? (They don't have a timeline for CSS and JS)
      • Why is my Profile page tagged as Pages with syntax highlighting errors?
      • Cool we can move categories!
      • Boo categories do not auto fill anymore in source code.
      • Image Gallery should have the Filter as an expand option- the first thing you see is a filter selection and not images. I tend to want to see the recent images; before needing to filter.
      • All filters should be pre-collapsed at the top and when expanded laid out a bit more organized (neat/tidy). Lot's of the times we just want to quickly glance at: latest edits/images/videos. And seeing a filter that takes up most the page first every time seems counter intuitive. When we are on the search we are usually be then committed to a filter so opening/expanding and checking and selecting is expected.
      • Where is the Wikitext Short Cuts?
      • Preview/Publish should remain locked at the top and not a scroll to the bottom thing.
      • Really prefer Activity Feed over this recent Changes Feed- I really hope Activity Feed will be added as well- at this time I almost never use the Changes Feed and only use Activity Feed.
      • I am not fond of the pop up summary. (This can be disabled, so that is good)
      • I don't like how editing is a pop up menu and that it takes so long to load.
      • Source editor has to be continually selected (I hope that it just fixed with preferences) (preferences DOES not fix this, keeps reverting back to visual editor)
      • Source editor for css is appalling.
      • Source editor for editing infoboxes is also terrible
      • Basically if this is the new source editor I may will have to stop wiking.
        Loading editor
    • Another two issues:

• The editor uses cursor: pointer instead of cursor: text like it should as a text editor (affects Visual and Source Mode)
      • Creating images with vignette links link https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/central/images/1/19/Getting_Started_icon.png/revision/latest/smart/width/53/height/53?cb=20190606105944 doesn't work, shows up as a link instead of an image:

Getting_Started_icon.png

Loading editor
    • What I've noticed:

• Bureaucrats can't create Discussion Moderators, Chat Moderators, and Rollbacks.
      • Uploaded images can't have transparency. Assuming this is a bug.
      • Live! Chat is missing; hoping the extension just hasn't been updated yet.
      • There seems to be less room between paragraphs. Not sure if this just came with updating MediaWiki or if was done intentionally. Kinda jarring to me.
      • The word "community" is added top every wiki. I find this kinda annoying since every wiki would need to contact staff to rename the wiki to a wiki. Perhaps we could have a drop down menu for this?
        Loading editor
    • Universal Omega
      Universal Omega removed this reply because:
      19:32, March 11, 2020
    • Is there a timetable for

• CSS and JS
      • default for source editor instead of visual editor
      • switch "activity" with "Message Wall"
      • When receiving a message on Message Walls, will the notification be in annoucements?
      • clearing out dups on Fandom?

Overall, not a bad start, although very rough and early in stages of UCP.

Loading editor
    • Jackboog21 wrote: What I've noticed:

They stated earlier that there are no added extensions on the UCP at the present time - this is why only NEW wikis are created here and no Migration of Older wikis are done yet!

Loading editor
    • Jrooksjr wrote: They stated earlier that there are no added extensions on the UCP at the present time - this is why only NEW wikis are created here and no Migration of Older wikis are done yet!

It was stated that not all extensions had been, and that DPLforums wasn't a day 1 extension. I'm basically asking if Live! Chat will be eventually added or if it'll be removed, which I'm hoping it's not.

Loading editor
    • I got an error "Timed out while waiting on cache-iah17227-IAH" when attempting to view user activity. Just a blank page with that notice.

Loading editor
    • Also, I accidentally removed my rights on my test wiki, but still the tags show up. But am denied rights. Also when removing them there wasn't an * next to the user right. Also there is no founder tag. And message wall posts add to what I assume should just be discussion posts.

Loading editor
    • use https://fandom.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new  and ask for them to restore your ranks.

Loading editor
    • Hello,

A user received two welcome message on her Wall. Is it a known issue?

Celdrøn @fandom (discussion)

Loading editor
    • That doesn't appear to be a UCP wiki so I don't think this is the place to ask. Try Special:Contact

UCP doesn't appear to even support welcome messages

Loading editor
    • It's not a UCP wiki, and yes, that issue is already known. We won't fix it, though, since the problem will go away once all wikis move to the UCP anyway. 

Loading editor
    • when will wikis move up to upc may i ask ??  or any idea when they will? and by any chance you can share with us other upcoming ideas you guys are planning for the future?

Loading editor
    • Is that a confirmation that UCP will not support welcome messages? Or just stating that Welcome Messages don't glitch when used with feeds?

UCP signatures are trimmed to 256 characters. Is this limit going to stay or will it be raised? If it's staying I hope trancluding templates from CC will arrive soon.

Loading editor
    • It's a Wall bug. There's no point in fixing code that gets replaced within the year(-ish). It's not a breaking bug.

Loading editor
    • Possible Bug: I filled out BIO on my profile page in test wiki and now all my wikis have that bio. I removed it and it is still showing everywhere but the test wiki.

Also, my edit count is a crazy high number (but not a total edit count across all wikis) on the test wiki.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote: Possible Bug: I filled out BIO on my profile page in test wiki and now all my wikis have that bio. I removed it and it is still showing everywhere but the test wiki.

Also, my edit count is a crazy high number (but not a total edit count across all wikis) on the test wiki.

Bio's have always been global, hence if you change it on one wiki, it changes on them all.

The edit count is a bug, and there is a fix in the works.

Loading editor
    • Original Authority wrote:

Hollowness wrote: Possible Bug: I filled out BIO on my profile page in test wiki and now all my wikis have that bio. I removed it and it is still showing everywhere but the test wiki.

Bio's have always been global, hence if you change it on one wiki, it changes on them all.

The edit count is a bug, and there is a fix in the works.

I do not have BIO option on my other wikis. AND even after deleted it is still showing- so I think BUG.

Loading editor
    • I think BIO (UCP) = Profile (Fandom - current)

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote: I do not have BIO option on my other wikis. AND even after deleted it is still showing- so I think BUG.

Try clearing cache or using the JS extension to edit bio on all wikis.

Loading editor
    • Carpe Universum wrote:

Hollowness wrote: I do not have BIO option on my other wikis. AND even after deleted it is still showing- so I think BUG.

Try clearing cache or using the JS extension to edit bio on all wikis.

I have been Ctrl + F5ing like mad (?action=purge doesn't work either).

Loading editor
    • I guess visual aides are needed.

Profile on UPC

I filled out BIO on UCP Wiki -> then Deleted

Profile on CC

It isn't an option on other Wikis

Profiles why is bio showing after deletion

Even after Deletion shows on regular Wikis but not UPC Wiki

Loading editor
    • You might try using the JS Extension EditBio and see if you can set it there

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote: You might try using the JS Extension EditBio and see if you can set it there

That is a work around? (then ty!) But should I not report the bug here as well?

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

Himmalerin wrote: You might try using the JS Extension EditBio and see if you can set it there

That is a work around? (then ty!) But should I not report the bug here as well?

Gives me an option to edit BIO but won't let me delete it :(

Loading editor
    • Hi Hollowness - it's related to the cache. I've cleared the cache on your profile for you, and now it is no longer showing up. I have also sent in a bug report for this (actually - I reported the issue a day ago!).

Loading editor
    • What about the "Since Joining This Wiki (Date)" part?

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz wrote: Hi Hollowness - it's related to the cache. I've cleared the cache on your profile for you, and now it is no longer showing up. I have also sent in a bug report for this (actually - I reported the issue a day ago!).

TY!

Loading editor
    • TheSuperAlmightyDragon wrote: What about the "Since Joining This Wiki (Date)" part?

Not all of the features have been recreated yet

Loading editor
    • Hmmm, Anyone else having issues uploading certain image files to avatar in UCP profile page?

Unable to upload avatar: Error: There was internal error while saving avatar

But on a good note re-uploading my regular avatar in UCP resized it to not cut off the text- so that is good!

Loading editor
    • Two more issues:

• Signatures are truncated to 256 characters (which is the reason some users including me were reporting missing signatures after editing UCP prefs; they were too long to be saved on UCP wikis)
      • Special:Contributions looks much messier than it does on non-UCP wikis:

UCP:

2020-03-11 20-3819 grim

Non-UCP:

2020-03-11 20-4043 grim
        Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote: Hmmm, Anyone else having issues uploading certain image files to avatar in UCP profile page?

But on a good note re-uploading my regular avatar in UCP resized it to not cut off the text- so that is good!

That’s...weird? perhaps the image size was exceeded?

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote:

Hollowness wrote: Hmmm, Anyone else having issues uploading certain image files to avatar in UCP profile page?

That’s...weird? perhaps the image size was exceeded?

No idea.

Re-uploading Avatar change

Top Avatar Uploaded on Wiki. Bottom Uploaded on UCP Wiki.

It looks like it is a slightly higher resolution too.

Loading editor
    • another two issues (browser is Firefox nightly v76.0a1, 2020-03-10):

• after scrolling all the way to the top or all the way to the bottom in the editor the scrollbar sticks when trying to scroll the opposite direction. Steps:
        1. Edit a page on a UCP with enough content that you are able to scroll.
        2. Scroll all the way to the bottom and then continue to scroll for another few seconds.
        3. Attempt to scroll upwards.
      • (not directly related to UCP but will become more noticeable as Forums as Message Walls disappear) When there is enough content in the notifications drop down (the bell) to cause it to scroll, scrolling is impossible except on the scrollbar or the far right edge directly before the scrollbar shows up.
        Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:
      Two more issues:
      • Signatures are truncated to 256 characters (which is the reason some users including me were reporting missing signatures after editing UCP prefs; they were too long to be saved on UCP wikis)
      • Special:Contributions looks much messier than it does on non-UCP wikis:

UCP:

2020-03-11 20-3819 grim

Non-UCP:

2020-03-11 20-4043 grim

It is because of the MW version upgrade which newer MW versions have changed some interface parts such as this one.

Loading editor
    • Mediawiki.org has a lovely interface for Special:Contributions:
      2020-03-11 21-2344 grim

Though it doesn't show up on any userpage, it's only available at the Special:Contributions page

Loading editor
    • Another Issue found: It appears that the profile editor on UCP interacts badly with dark themes

Loading editor
    • Sorry, this is probably Source Mode snobbery but I am just so loathing the sad excuse of source mode so far in UCP (So I hope this is the staff's next focus after bugs are sorted). Was this seriously made by people who only use visual editor? Because it looks like source code pasted in Visual Editor.

UCP Source Mode vs Wiki Source Mode

Top expanded Source Editor. Bottom UCP Source Editor.

• I really want my wiki text bar back.
      • I really like preview and publish at the top locked to be returned.
      • I hope you are adding features and media and find and replace collapse bar back?
      • the sizing is just sad- and I hope this will be fixed to adjusted sizing.
      • Why is the header and recent activity feed even there? (wasting space or oversight?)
      • I am missing colour differentiation of regular source mode code- especially in CSS and Infoboxes (I count on that a lot when using wiki text, templates and infoboxes).
        Loading editor
    • Woah, this just in Profile page glitch (anyone else getting this)?

Profile Page Glitch

Profile page glitch?

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote: Woah, this just in Profile page glitch (anyone else getting this)?

Profile Page Glitch

Profile page glitch?

Happened to me earlier!

Loading editor
    • Carpe Universum wrote: Happened to me earlier!

Maybe they are playing around with coding XP

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote: Woah, this just in Profile page glitch (anyone else getting this)?

Profile Page Glitch

Profile page glitch?

The staff are still processing any problems with this new update, any problems could be reported the Zendesk, but I think it would be a waste to send them a message about a problem that they’ll eventually resolve.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote: Maybe they are playing around with coding XP

Hopefully that's what it is - hopefully they give an option to use current editor (or make new one more like it) because the new one really sucks!

Loading editor
    • Reply to #65

I only use the source editor as well, but the UCP VE's Source Mode fulfills my needs pretty well, minus crazy loading times and a reliance on JS. I would prefer the 2010 Wiki Editor with syntax highlighting a lot due to it's comparatively insane load speeds and simpler/more familiar appearance.

I do appreciate UCP's source mode though, it's miles better than the current VE's Source Mode, which is nigh-unusable.

Edit: I'd also love to be able to use the CodeEditor extension for css/js pages, currently we get the editor in the bottom half of the picture on #65.

Reply to #66

FANDOM does that occasionally. It looks like CSS just doesn't load, a refresh usually fixes it.

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote: The staff are still processing any problems with this new update, any problems could be reported the Zendesk, but I think it would be a waste to send them a message about a problem that they’ll eventually resolve.

That is exactly why I have posted here on this thread and did not ticket.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote: That is exactly why I have posted here on this thread and did not ticket.

Still, they’ll eventually restore all of the features onto UCP, as they progress through this update.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:

Reply to #65

I only use the source editor as well, but the UCP VE's Source Mode fulfills my needs pretty well, minus crazy loading times and a reliance on JS. I would prefer the 2010 Wiki Editor with syntax highlighting a lot due to it's comparatively insane load speeds and simpler/more familiar appearance.

I do appreciate UCP's source mode though, it's miles better than the current VE's Source Mode, which is nigh-unusable.

Reply to #66

FANDOM does that occasionally. It looks like CSS just doesn't load, a refresh usually fixes it.

If this is in reference to me. I'll say it simply: if the current UCP Source mode stays the same- I'll stop editing. I have been in wikis 9ish years, admin'd for a handful or wikis and have over 100k edits. I love wikis and I never ever ever use ultimatums lightly (and I usually follow through), but this is a complete turn off and I only hope that the finished product of source mode is at least tolerable which at the moment to me- it is not.

I do appreciate you at least stated your favoured Source Editor choice (it looks like a better option for sure). Hopefully, that is enough to give more options to staff to improve and they do need to improve upon UCP Source Mode's current state. But remember this UCP is about feedback and working with editors (not against) and IMO simply fulfilling your needs isn't good enough; this is an upgrade we have some say in and I hope it's better than fulfilling our needs- or why upgrade.

Loading editor
    • Might take some getting used to the source editor (never even used the old Visual editor)

I greatly prefer the old Special:ListUsers which lists only people who have edited on that wiki and by number of edits, but I guess that's not a part of the new MediaWiki.

Loading editor
    • Mira Laime wrote: It's not a UCP wiki, and yes, that issue is already known. We won't fix it, though, since the problem will go away once all wikis move to the UCP anyway. 

I though all new wiki would be created on UCP, maybe I read to fast, and did not get all important informations.

Thanks.

Celdrøn @fandom (discussion)

Loading editor
    • Jackboog21 wrote: What I've noticed:

• Bureaucrats can't create Discussion Moderators, Chat Moderators, and Rollbacks.
      • Uploaded images can't have transparency. Assuming this is a bug.
      • There seems to be less room between paragraphs. Not sure if this just came with updating MediaWiki or if was done intentionally. Kinda jarring to me.
      • The word "community" is added top every wiki. I find this kinda annoying since every wiki would need to contact staff to rename the wiki to a wiki. Perhaps we could have a drop down menu for this?

Bureaucrats weren't able to promote Discussion Moderators and Chat Moderators anyway, as Administrators promote them instead.

Loading editor
    • But now, neither admins nor b-crats can. Discussions moderator exists but can't be given, while Rollback and Chatmod don't show at all.

Loading editor
    • May i ask is  Community centrel going to get this aswell? and   @misterwoofhouse may i add you on discord there is something i wanna ask you ?

Loading editor
    • may i also ask for the Talk pages   is that going to be retired ?

Loading editor
    • Community Central will be one of the last Fandom wikis migrated over to the UCP, as it hosts a number of critical global functions for the legacy plaform. No, you may not add me on Discord. You may email me: will@fandom.com

Loading editor
    • ok and for the talk pages are those going to be removed aswell?

Loading editor
    • Talk pages are part of core MediaWiki. They are not being retired.

Loading editor
      • Is the name "community" going to remain set by default when you're to name your would-be wiki in the Start a Wiki form, simultaneously supplanting the so-far wiki?
      • What about article comments? They were meant to appear in a new shape, none have been so far, though.
      • When can we expect CSS and JS to be enabled?
      • Is there any plan to introduce a tool that pastes the selected template's code to the article being edited in the source mode, such as "PreloadTemplates" on Dev Wiki?

Greetings, me.

Loading editor
    • Per the answer you got on Discord, no to the community thing.

Article Comments are not yet enabled. We would have done a feature highlight otherwise.

I don't have a timeline for CSS and JS.

I have nothing to announce regarding the adoption of Dev Wiki customizations as products.

Loading editor
    • What about the page Special:WikIfeatures? Will it he brought, replaced, or eliminated?

Also the user contribs page doesn't show any edits, regardless of how many edits there are.

In addition, user can post on other's message walls, even if the user is blocked on the wiki.

Loading editor
    • Reply to #74

Hollowness wrote:

I do appreciate you at least stated your favoured Source Editor choice (it looks like a better option for sure). Hopefully, that is enough to give more options to staff to improve and they do need to improve upon UCP Source Mode's current state. But remember this UCP is about feedback and working with editors (not against) and IMO simply fulfilling your needs isn't good enough; this is an upgrade we have some say in and I hope it's better than fulfilling our needs- or why upgrade.

Quite true, I certainly hope the staff listen to us and bring in the 2010 WikiEditor and the CodeEditor editors. In the meantime (and if they decide against it), you can load Syntax highlighter in your developer console following the "For end user if not installed on wiki" instructions. Copy the mw.loader.load(...) into the console and run when using the barebones source editor and you'll get syntax highlighting.

Reply to #78

TortoiseCat5 wrote:

But now, neither admins nor b-crats can. Discussions moderator exists but can't be given, while Rollback and Chatmod don't show at all.

Unsure about the Rollback role, but not having the Chatmod role available makes sense given that the Live!Chat extension isn't available on UCP yet.

Reply to #86

TortoiseCat5 wrote:

What about the page Special:WikIfeatures? Will it he brought, replaced, or eliminated?

A subset of Special:WikiFeatures is available in the lower right corner of Special:AdminDashboard, beneath the "$WikiName community's Progress" section.

The available features are

• Europa Infobox Theme
      • Require all contributors to log in

Missing features are

• Polls (provided via the Extension:AJAXPoll)
      • Blogs
      • Article Comments
      • Message Wall/Talk Page toggle
      • New Image Galleries
      • Chat
        Loading editor
    • Special:WhatLinksHere doesn't work on Message Walls.

Loading editor
    • Also, I uploaded this to w:c:wreckit-woodhouse, but it doesn't show up in my contributions or w:c:wreckit-woodhouse:Special:Newimages

Loading editor
    • Scarecroe wrote:
      Special:WhatLinksHere doesn't work on Message Walls.

Per our discussion earlier this week, that is not a bug. It is due to the new Message Wall design no longer being MediaWiki custom code.

Loading editor
    • TortoiseCat5 wrote: In addition, user can post on other's message walls, even if the user is blocked on the wiki.

I certainly hope that the "cannot edit own talk page" block option is enabled, considering how it likely locks out all message walls regardless of the user who has the message wall.

Loading editor
    • I dunno if you read my earlier comment on the announcement page, but the new editor just will not load up for me. I click on either "ADD NEW PAGE", "CREATE" or "EDIT", and all that does is refresh the page and nothing happens. The link changes as if it's in an editor, but that's about it.

Side note: when I click "Edit Source" it straight up says "The editor will now load".

I hope this is fixed soon, because I can't do anything on a wiki if I can't get the editor to even start.

Loading editor
    • Special:WhatLinksHere with Message Walls works here, try heading to here and see if it shows you a link (does for me).

More bugs:

• All links pointing to Message Wall:Username are redlinks since those pages don't seem to actually exist anymore.
      • The "Free form" bio is not so free form: All newlines are collapsed into a single line. Difference:

Non-UCP wikis:

2020-03-12 12-256 grim

UCP wikis:

2020-03-12 12-2525 grim
      • Line-breaking just breaks words instead of breaking and attaching a hyphen to the end of broken word on the previous line. This can be fixed by applying word-break: break-word; and hyphens: auto; or instead of breaking words, you can just shove words that would overflow onto the next line: word-break: break-word;

break with hyphens:

2020-03-12 12-3358 grim

shoving long words onto the next line:

2020-03-12 12-346 grim
        Loading editor
    • Gempony7 wrote:

I dunno if you read my earlier comment on the announcement page, but the new editor just will not load up for me. I click on either "ADD NEW PAGE", "CREATE" or "EDIT", and all that does is refresh the page and nothing happens. The link changes as if it's in an editor, but that's about it.

Side note: when I click "Edit Source" it straight up says "The editor will now load".

I hope this is fixed soon, because I can't do anything on a wiki if I can't get the editor to even start.

What browser/browser version are you using? It's possible it doesn't support the JavaScript required to load the editor. (Another reason we need the 2010 Wiki Editor)

If it is the case and you can't use the VE due to browser age, try going to Special:Preferences on a UCP Wiki, go to the "Editing" tab and in the Editor section uncheck both "Enable the visual editor. It will be available in the following namespaces: User, File, Category, (Main)" and "Temporarily disable the visual editor while it is in beta". Save preferences and try to edit a page again.

You should get an extremely bare-bones source editor. If you want Syntax Highlighting you can try following the instructions at the top of post #87

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:

Reply to #74

Hollowness wrote:

Quite true, I certainly hope the staff listen to us and bring in the 2010 WikiEditor and the CodeEditor editors. In the meantime (and if they decide against it), you can load Syntax highlighter in your developer console following the "For end user if not installed on wiki" instructions. Copy the mw.loader.load(...) into the console and run when using the barebones source editor and you'll get syntax highlighting.

I will certainly add it once CCS/JS is enabled on the UPC. Thanks :)

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:

Gempony7 wrote:

I dunno if you read my earlier comment on the announcement page, but the new editor just will not load up for me. I click on either "ADD NEW PAGE", "CREATE" or "EDIT", and all that does is refresh the page and nothing happens. The link changes as if it's in an editor, but that's about it.

What browser/browser version are you using? It's possible it doesn't support the JavaScript required to load the editor. (Another reason we need the 2010 Wiki Editor)

If it is the case and you can't use the VE due to browser age, try going to Special:Preferences on a UCP Wiki, go to the "Editing" tab and in the Editor section uncheck both "Enable the visual editor. It will be available in the following namespaces: User, File, Category, (Main)" and "Temporarily disable the visual editor while it is in beta". Save preferences and try to edit a page again.

You should get an extremely bare-bones source editor. If you want Syntax Highlighting you can try following the instructions at the top of post #87

I'm using Microsoft Edge currently. Looks like I can't be on Fandom anymore, because I can't even click the tabs to make em work

Loading editor
    • GarfieldTC
      GarfieldTC removed this reply because:
      Duplicate
      16:54, March 12, 2020
    • Gempony7 wrote:

I'm using Microsoft Edge currently.

MediaWiki's browser support table says Edge 12 and up is supported and since the UCP editor is based on MediaWiki's VisualEditor it should run. I'll find a Windows computer with Edge I can test on

Loading editor
    • Gempony7 wrote: I'm using Microsoft Edge currently. Looks like I can't be on Fandom anymore, because I can't even click the tabs to make em work

Edge hasn't worked well for it in quite awhile. They haven't taken steps to fix it because not that many editors use Edge.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:

Gempony7 wrote:

I'm using Microsoft Edge currently.

MediaWiki's browser support table says Edge 12 and up is supported and since the UCP editor is based on MediaWiki's VisualEditor it should run. I'll find a Windows computer with Edge I can test on

Ok then

Loading editor
    • TortoiseCat5 wrote:

Gempony7 wrote: I'm using Microsoft Edge currently. Looks like I can't be on Fandom anymore, because I can't even click the tabs to make em work

Edge hasn't worked well for it in quite awhile. They haven't taken steps to fix it because not that many editors use Edge.

I see ...

Loading editor
    • TortoiseCat5 wrote:

Gempony7 wrote: I'm using Microsoft Edge currently. Looks like I can't be on Fandom anymore, because I can't even click the tabs to make em work

If you don’t mind the problems with the Edge browser, you can go ahead and use it, if you do find a problem, use the zendesk to try to get it resolved.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

• Source editor has to be continually selected (I hope that it just fixed with preferences) (preferences DOES not fix this, keeps reverting back to visual editor)

And this turns on Visual editor on my other wikis- very annoying.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

Hollowness wrote:

We're working on getting the preference fixed to work with the change from discrete editor options to mode selction.

Loading editor
    • UPC Gallery Sample

UPC Gallery Sample

I like the new button for galleries.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

Hollowness wrote:

Experienced this too.

Loading editor
    • Edge bugs on UCP:

• User profile/masthead doesn't load. When/if (and I sure hope they do, since the dynamic loading is horrible) they generate it along with the page (as part of PHP I imagine) this should be a non-issue
      • Navigating Special:Preferences beyond the "User Profile" tab is impossible since clicking on the other tabs does nothing.
        • Typing in the complete url to a different tab does not cause the tab to load.
      • Clicking the Edit Page button does nothing except for refreshing the page.
        • Going under the edit dropdown and choosing "Edit Source" takes you to a new page with the text "The Editor will now load. If you still see this message after a few seconds please reload the page."

If you can access a UCP wiki on a separate browser and get to your Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing (Special:Preferences under the editing tab), uncheck both "Enable the visual editor. It will be available in the following namespaces: User, File, Category, (Main)" and "Temporarily disable the visual editor while it is in beta" and then save, you get an editor that works with Edge.

It does basically nothing except edit text (I'm calling it the "bare-bones editor"), though, and the Syntax Highlighter gadget I suggested in #87 does not work.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:
      Edge bugs on UCP:
      • User profile/masthead doesn't load. When/if (and I sure hope they do, since the dynamic loading is horrible) they generate it along with the page (as part of PHP I imagine) this should be a non-issue
      • Navigating Special:Preferences beyond the "User Profile" tab is impossible since clicking on the other tabs does nothing.
        • Typing in the complete url to a different tab does not cause the tab to load.
      • Clicking the Edit Page button does nothing except for refreshing the page.
        • Going under the edit dropdown and choosing "Edit Source" takes you to a new page with the text "The Editor will now load. If you still see this message after a few seconds please reload the page."

If you can access a UCP wiki on a separate browser and get to your Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing (Special:Preferences under the editing tab), uncheck both "Enable the visual editor. It will be available in the following namespaces: User, File, Category, (Main)" and "Temporarily disable the visual editor while it is in beta" and then save, you get an editor that works with Edge.

It does basically nothing except edit text (I'm calling it the "bare-bones editor"), though, and the Syntax Highlighter gadget I suggested in #87 does not work.

In addition, EdgeHTML is now considered abandoned engine since the move of Edge to Chromium

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote (from blog): Wiki Activity was not proven to increase any engagement, so we opted to go with Recent Changes as the new experience, thanks to a number of improvements from the Wikimedia Foundation on that front.

I am someone who heavily relies on Wiki Activity (it is my wiki's top viewed page- even if it is only by me) over Recent Changes. As an admin especially- please bring it back.

Loading editor
    • HM100 wrote: In addition, EdgeHTML is now considered abandoned engine since the move of Edge to Chromium

Right.

@Gempony7, if you want to update to the new edge now as opposed to getting a broken editing experience, you can do so through https://www.microsoft.com/edge. Note that this will replace the existing edge install, so it's a one-way ticket. If you choose to upgrade and don't like it, you're stuck.

You'll be getting it eventually anyway though, so you might as well get a better editing experience now rather than waiting for Microsoft to roll it out eventually. You will need access to an admin password to perform the update.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:

HM100 wrote: In addition, EdgeHTML is now considered abandoned engine since the move of Edge to Chromium

Right.

@Gempony7, if you want to update to the new edge now as opposed to getting a broken editing experience, you can do so through https://www.microsoft.com/edge. Note that this will replace the existing edge install, so it's a one-way ticket. If you choose to upgrade and don't like it, you're stuck.

You'll be getting it eventually anyway though, so you might as well get a better editing experience now rather than waiting for Microsoft to roll it out eventually. You will need access to an admin password to perform the update.

an admin password? Where do I find that?

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote: I am someone who heavily relies on Wiki Activity (it is my wiki's top viewed page- even if it is only by me) over Recent Changes. As an admin especially- please bring it back.

It's also much easier for newer users to understand. Getting rid of it opens the door to heavy vandalism not being caught.

Seems hard for me to believe the feature was never used, especially compared to RecentChanges.

Loading editor
    • reply to #111

Gempony7 wrote:

an admin password? Where do I find that?

If you own your device (as opposed to business/business's IT department) you have one. If you didn't set up a separate user account then the account you're using right now is the admin account and you don't need to worry about it.

If you download the update and run it and it doesn't ask for a password but rather just asks you if you want to allow access, you're the admin account. If it asks for a password you'll need to figure out if you can install applications.

reply to #112

Jackboog21 wrote:

Seems hard for me to believe the feature was never used, especially compared to RecentChanges.

WikiActivity is used massively more-so than recent changes on the wikis I edit so I'm with you there, surprised Fandom considers it rarely used.

Loading editor
    • Jackboog21 wrote:

Hollowness wrote: I am someone who heavily relies on Wiki Activity (it is my wiki's top viewed page- even if it is only by me) over Recent Changes. As an admin especially- please bring it back.

It's also much easier for newer users to understand. Getting rid of it opens the door to heavy vandalism not being caught.

Yeah, I find it very hard to believe as well.

Loading editor
    • I didn't say never used. I said it wasn't proven to increase engagement, which I'm told was its intended purpose. (It was before my time)

Loading editor
    • Doe anyone know if Maintenance reports will still be business as usually? I use them as error reports for hard to find oversights.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: I didn't say never used. I said it wasn't proven to increase engagement, which I'm told was its intended purpose. (It was before my time)

If it's used, then it shouldn't be removed. Also, what are you defining as "engagement"?

Loading editor
    • Jackboog21 wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote: I didn't say never used. I said it wasn't proven to increase engagement, which I'm told was its intended purpose. (It was before my time)

If it's used, then it shouldn't be removed. Also, what are you defining as "engagement"?

"Engagement" probably gaining new or more editors.

Loading editor
    • Two questions regarding the profile page:

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote:

We are talking about that- just above your comment.

Loading editor
    • Actually Special:UserActivity was what I was talking about

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote:

Two questions regarding the profile page:

• Try Special:EditWatchlist
      • Special:UserActivity is only available here on CC as far as I can tell, so it's not surprising it's absent on UCP at this point
        Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote:
      Actually Special:UserActivity was what I was talking about

That's controlled by an extension, I believe, and we are not at our full slate of extensions we'll be supporting yet.

Loading editor
    • UserActivity, as an extension, is only on Community Central. It's also not present on non-UCP wikis.

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote: Actually Special:UserActivity was what I was talking about

Ah gotcha, typo moment- been there!

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: UserActivity, as an extension, is only on Community Central. It's also not present on non-UCP wikis.

Will it transition to UCP?

Loading editor
    • Random and unimportant at this time but when can we test banners on the new profile page?

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote:

Tupka217 wrote: UserActivity, as an extension, is only on Community Central. It's also not present on non-UCP wikis.

Will it transition to UCP?

See Woodhouse above.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote: Random and unimportant at this time but when can we test banners on the new profile page?

Not yet. They didn't implement this option yet.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

Hollowness wrote: Random and unimportant at this time but when can we test banners on the new profile page?

I know that is why I asked "when".

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

JustLeafy wrote:

Hollowness wrote: Random and unimportant at this time but when can we test banners on the new profile page?

Unknown.

Loading editor
    • 'nother bug three bugs:

• Adding ?debug=1 causes the masthead and profile tabs to completely break (when on your user and activity pages) and nothing whatsoever to show up on your Message Wall page.
      • your Message Wall Greeting page isn't transcluded onto your Message Wall.
      • The Discussions activity feed doesn't work on UCP, it renders as plain text instead of creating the feed.

As an aside, User Talk no longer redirects to the Message Wall equivalent, even if Message Walls are enabled! Hopefully this stays the case.

Loading editor
    • UserActivity still works on Central, but as explained above, I think, it displays global edit count for UCP wikis which is a bug.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote: More bugs:

• [...]
      • The "Free form" bio is not so free form: All newlines are collapsed into a single line.
      • Line-breaking just breaks words instead of breaking and attaching a hyphen to the end of broken word on the previous line. This can be fixed by applying word-break: break-word; and hyphens: auto; or instead of breaking words, you can just shove words that would overflow onto the next line: word-break: break-word;

I'd like to change my suggestion from word-break: break-word; or word-break: break-word; and hyphens: auto; to white-space: pre-wrap which combines the desirable result of wrapping words and behaviour of <pre> where newlines and white-space are preserved.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:

Himmalerin wrote: More bugs:

• [...]
      • The "Free form" bio is not so free form: All newlines are collapsed into a single line.
      I'd like to change my suggestion from word-break: break-word; or word-break: break-word; and hyphens: auto; to white-space: pre-wrap which combines the desirable result of wrapping words and behaviour of <pre> where newlines and white-space are preserved.

By free form, I meant not constrained by a specific field question, not put it in literally whatever format you want. That's what your About page is for.

Loading editor
    • Fair enough, I guess I read too much into it. If nothing else though, the bio should wrap words instead of the sharp splitting it does currently.

It would be nice for parity (new lines) with non-ucp bios, but I get that doing so w/o a method of collapsing them might end up with a massive masthead. As it is, some people's bio sections are 20-30 lines already. So I guess while I'd prefer prettier word-splitting and newlines, the people with massive bio sections might rule out that being an option.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:

Hollowness wrote:

JustLeafy wrote:

Unknown.

Is this meant to be disparaging? This is for devs/staff if they could- if and when they know- let us know.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

Tupka217 wrote:

Hollowness wrote:

JustLeafy wrote:

Unknown.

Is this meant to be disparaging? This is for devs/staff if they could- if and when they know- let us know.

As Woodhouse said above, the full set of extensions is currently not yet decided. As this feature pertains only to Community Central and that's presumably somewhere near the end of conversion to UCP, the timetable is up in the air. It's not meant to be disparaging. It's meant to explain that nobody knows for certain at this point.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

Tupka217 wrote:

Hollowness wrote:

JustLeafy wrote:

Unknown.

The profile banner system is not available at this time and I do not have an ETA for it beyond during Phase 1.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: As Woodhouse said above, the full set of extensions is currently not yet decided. As this feature pertains only to Community Central and that's presumably somewhere near the end of conversion to UCP, the timetable is up in the air. It's not meant to be disparaging. It's meant to explain that nobody knows for certain at this point.

As you have given me information already mentioned by MisterWoodhouse- and I already knew. And with the chain of quotes of other obvious facts I already knew- it came across as such.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: The profile banner system is not available at this time and I do not have an ETA for it beyond during Phase 1.

Thank you- that is what I wanted to confirm.

Loading editor
    • Adding images in source editor don't autofill either. I assume this is related to the categories not autofilling that someone else mentioned earlier?

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote: Actually Special:UserActivity was what I was talking about

Special:UserAcitivty hasn't been on other wikis, it's only been on Community Central.

Loading editor
    • Using the "Media" interface to try to add pics, I start typing in the image filename and pics disappear and reappear as I type more characters, often saying no results found despite three images existing with the same few initial characters in their filenames.

Loading editor
    • TheBigGnome wrote: Adding images in source editor don't autofill either. I assume this is related to the categories not autofilling that someone else mentioned earlier?

That was me. I think autofill is not enabled, not working or removed for some reason.

Loading editor
    • When I edit a page, the "Recent Wiki Activity" feed on the right side of the page doesn't update to show it until I edit another page. It's always a page behind (or maybe it's a certain length of time).

Edit: It seems to be a time lag.
        Loading editor
    • The "Save Changes" button should stick like the toolbar does so one does not have to scroll all the way back to the top of a long page to click it.

Loading editor
    • Why do we have the toolbar in Source Editor anyway? It's annoying.

Loading editor
    • When will the roll-outs begin? When can wikis apply to test it out? When will CSS and JS be enabled? Will the Loops extension still work and be enable-able? Do you have any of that information at this time?

Loading editor
    • TheBigGnome wrote: Why do we have the toolbar in Source Editor anyway? It's annoying.

Because an interface without without tools isn't an interface?

All though the current Source Editor has a bunch of things we probably don't need because we are editing in source; some sort of shortcuts toolbar is helpful if you don't have all memorized or simply like to have editing tools. I personally customized Edit Tools to suit my needs and it saves me loads of time. If Source Editor had a customizable edit tool bar- for those who find it annoying can have only preview/publish on it and for those who are quick key crazy- can load it up.

Loading editor
    • Similar issue to the Edge problems, though I am not using Edge (just an older version of FF).  The edit source option is the only editing option that does anything for me, outside of changing the URL, and I get the same message as in the Edge case.  Waiting does nothing.  Clicking on the reload link adds "&venoscript=1" to the URL and finally gets me to the skeletal source editor.  Adding the "&venoscript=1" URL fragment to the end after simply clicking the Edit button does not load the visual editor.  Didn't think it would work, but was worth a shot.  Not that I use the visual or classic editors much in the first place.  Anyway, somewhat annoying – both the two-click process and the paucity of features on the source editor.

Someone mentioned Special:RecentChanges does not show minor edits.  Thankfully, this does not appear to be the case... on the Wreck-It Woodhouse community, at least.  I do hope Special:WikiActivity at a minimum remains as an option for power users.  I use both RC and WA quite frequently on the wiki I admin, as the information one provides complements the information the other provides.  In past instances of vandalism, WA was the easier tool to use to catch it.

Loading editor
    • There's no way a bold button or an italics button saves any editor any time.

Loading editor
    • CW-Eaves wrote: Someone mentioned Special:RecentChanges does not show minor edits.  Thankfully, this does not appear to be the case... on the Wreck-It Woodhouse community, at least. 

Correct, by default it has "Minor Edits" unselected/hidden. If you filter and check "Minor Edits" they show and it is just a matter of saving your filter.

Loading editor
    • TheBigGnome wrote: There's no way a bold button or an italics button saves any editor any time.

lol No, definitely not those ones.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

TheBigGnome wrote: There's no way a bold button or an italics button saves any editor any time.

But I do find it handy having add photo, add gallery and add video if I forgot to upload the file first. But mostly I like to use my Edit Tools as a quick reference WikiText sheet, if I haven't been editing a while- I forget all the templates and wikitext I commonly use. I probably only use 4-5 of the 15 things on the current toolbar and I probably could even reduce it to 2-3 that I'd be bummed to be without.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

TheBigGnome wrote: There's no way a bold button or an italics button saves any editor any time.

At the same time, having the bold/italics buttons available in source editing mode can ease the learning curve for editors who are newer to that style of editing.  And pages with complex coding require a would-be editor to use source editing.

Loading editor
    • CW-Eaves wrote:

At the same time, having the bold/italics buttons available in source editing mode can ease the learning curve for editors who are newer to that style of editing.  And pages with complex coding require a would-be editor to use source editing.

Actually, I was just thinking that a little while after posting. It is how I learned source code/wikitext myself. I remember I was trying to do more productive edits and found the admins where editing in source mode and they were stepping stones on how I got better at wikitext and templates.

And after I got it- I found other editors just didn't compare- who cares if it seems easier in another mode- if you don't know how to create or edit the template or code at source; you can't do half the stuff source code editors are doing and that is how I converted. Every wiki I worked with to improve- improved drastically with my source editing- other editors are for the laymen. It started though, with the little steps like bold and italic buttons and I never looked back XD

Loading editor
    • Yet another bug!

• The "Related Wiki" thing that shows up when using Special:Search is going off the edge of the page:
      2020-03-12 20-1126 grim

Also, I'm not quite sure how minecraft relates to the Wreckit-Woodhouse wiki..?

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote: Also, I'm not quite sure how minecraft relates to the Wreckit-Woodhouse wiki..?

Probably a somewhat similar name or search result. I can see the connection.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote: Yet another bug!

• The "Related Wiki" thing that shows up when using Special:Search is going off the edge of the page:
      2020-03-12 20-1126 grim

As for your question about it overlapping with the page, staff should able to fix that.

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote: As for your question about it overlapping with the page, staff should able to fix that.

Agreed - I fixed it just by using a custom CSS chrome extension.

Loading editor
    • When you add new features to the UCP, will you upstream the code so that your extensions can benefit Wikipedia and other MediaWiki projects, or will you keep all of your additions proprietary?

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote:

Himmalerin wrote: Yet another bug!

2020-03-12 20-1126 grim

As for your question about it overlapping with the page, staff should able to fix that.

And as for why the MC wiki shows up, it's not the weirdest result I've had there. I've accepted long ago it makes no sense.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:

HM100 wrote: In addition, EdgeHTML is now considered abandoned engine since the move of Edge to Chromium

Right.

So good news: I just got myself Google Chrome this morning and It actually manages to open itself when I'm on that and I can work with it. That and I don't have to replace anything either so I can still use Microsoft Edge if I wanted to for other stuff ^^ haven't actually fiddled with the new editor yet, but I'm glad it actually can open at all.

Loading editor
    • Carpe Universum wrote:
      When will the roll-outs begin? When can wikis apply to test it out? When will CSS and JS be enabled? Will the Loops extension still work and be enable-able? Do you have any of that information at this time?

Roll outs are being scheduled based on platform performance and development progress for features needed for the wikis being migrated to thrive.

We will outline the application process for wikis in the next couple of weeks.

Custom CSS and JS will be enabled around the same time that the first migrations begin, as we have to finish work on porting the code review staff tool.

I am seeing Loops as slated for full rollout of the platform, which will be later in Phase 1. No ETA on when that release will be, as it has many dependencies.

Loading editor
    • Not a bug persay, but <body> is missing the oasis-dark-theme class on dark themed UCP wikis which makes it difficult to write CSS that looks good on both light wikis and dark wikis.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: Roll outs are being scheduled based on platform performance and development progress for features needed for the wikis being migrated to thrive.

We will outline the application process for wikis in the next couple of weeks.

Custom CSS and JS will be enabled around the same time that the first migrations begin, as we have to finish work on porting the code review staff tool.

I am seeing Loops as slated for full rollout of the platform, which will be later in Phase 1. No ETA on when that release will be, as it has many dependencies.

Thank you!

Loading editor
    • Is Extension:TemplateData going to be introduced along with the update?

Loading editor
    • IF anyone wants to try out the new stuff with user groups message me on my wall and I’ll add you admin on my test wiki.

https://cocopuff-wiki.fandom.com/wiki/Cocopuff_wiki

Loading editor
    • Fell free to do testing on it no rules on it at the moment

Loading editor
    • Original Authority
      Original Authority removed this reply because:
      Spam
      15:36, March 13, 2020
    • Original Authority
      Spam
    • Original Authority
      removed as spam messages removed; this won't make sense with the removed messages.
    • Original Authority
      Spam
    • Original Authority
      Spam.
    • Original Authority
      Spam.
    • Original Authority
      Spam.
    • Original Authority
      Won't make sense given the removed spam.
      15:37, March 13, 2020
    • Issue: Special:Recentchanges sometimes (maybe about half the time) takes a good 5-10 seconds to load and will sometimes break (complaining about not being able to fetch updates) after pressing the Show New Changes button. This mainly occurs after I've been messing in the the css on the page with devtools, but that shouldn't (I feel) have a major effect. Firefox Nightly, 76.0a1 (2020-03-13)

UCP's RC is more featureful than our current RC and WikiActivity but I feel like with the removal of WikiActivity performance should be a massive concern. Checking the "Use non-JavaScript interface" in the UCP Recent Changes Prefsection will probably alleviate the issue, but at that point you lose what made the newer RC a good tradeoff

Loading editor
    • Bug: the search bar semi-uncollapses when on your message wall page.

Here's what it should look like:
      Wreckit-woodhouse-properSearch
      Here's the broken search:
      Wreckit-woodhouse-brokenSearch

Doesn't happen on article pages, your contributions, or your user page.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote: Bug: the search bar semi-uncollapses when on your message wall page.

Here's what it should look like:
      Wreckit-woodhouse-properSearch
      Here's the broken search:
      Wreckit-woodhouse-brokenSearch

Doesn't happen on article pages, your contributions, or your user page.

A bug ticket has been filed, thanks for reporting this.

Loading editor
    • Are there any plans to incorporate some of the FlaggedRevs extension in the new platform?

Loading editor
    • Why there are both Talk pages and Message Wall?
      UCPMessageWall

Mine Message wall

UserTalk

Mine user talk

. It is bug, or unimplemented feature? Becouse this is really critical! Who wants to have 2 talking pages? And: You have Talk Pages on Articles too! So, now everyone will be writing their messages in Talk Pages!
        Loading editor
    • TreeIsLife wrote:

Why there are both Talk pages and Message Wall?
      UCPMessageWall

Mine Message wall

UserTalk

Mine user talk

. It is bug, or unimplemented feature? Becouse this is really critical! Who wants to have 2 talking pages? And: You have Talk Pages on Articles too! So, now everyone will be writing their messages in Talk Pages!

Talk pages have always been available that I am aware of even if not enabled (I can do talk pages on my regular wiki even now though I have other messaging as main). It just if not enabled- isn't on your profile page.

Loading editor
    • TreeIsLife wrote:

UCPMessageWall

Mine Message wall

UserTalk

Mine user talk

The bottom image is not a user talk page, but a regular talk page. These can both be in use on a community. A user talk page would be at User talk:TreelsLife, not Talk:Treelslife.

Loading editor
    • Please bring the Wiki Activity to the UCP and have it coexist with the new improved Recent Changes. I use both to track what's going on at the wiki in my Admin role and think that they complement each other very well for different purposes.

Loading editor

TreeIsLife wrote:

UCPMessageWall

Mine Message wall

UserTalk

Mine user talk

The bottom image is not a user talk page, but a regular talk page. These can both be in use on a community. A user talk page would be at User talk:TreelsLife, not Talk:Treelslife.

Uhmm: Here is a better image.
      UCPAdresssTreeIsLife
        Loading editor
    • TreeIsLife wrote:

UCPAdresssTreeIsLife

The quality of the image isn't in question.

You can in any wiki create a talk page even without talk pages enabled. There is no known changes in this area at this time. This has existed before UCP, you are upset about a pre-existing thing; not a new one. Therefor it is should not be critical.

Loading editor
    • Talk pages are apart of MediaWiki's core so they can not be disabled - I think they were internally redirected on the wiki's with Message Wall's

Loading editor
    • I'm unable to login into AutoWikiBrowser on UCP wikis but I can successfully do so on non-UCP wikis. When I attempt to log into https://wreckit-woodhouse.fandom.com/ I get the following rather unhelpful error:

UCP-AutoWikiBrowser-loginFailed
        Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote: I'm unable to login into AutoWikiBrowser on UCP wikis but I can successfully do so on non-UCP wikis. When I attempt to log into https://wreckit-woodhouse.fandom.com/ I get the following rather unhelpful error:

Worked for me yesterday, but not today.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

TreeIsLife wrote:

UCPAdresssTreeIsLife

The quality of the image isn't in question.

You can in any wiki create a talk page even without talk pages enabled. There is no known changes in this area at this time. This has existed before UCP, you are upset about a pre-existing thing; not a new one. Therefor it is should not be critical.

But ok, so now comments are not here, there are 2 talks pages and it will be better, to fix it. But Messages walls are only tempory thing, as MediaWiki 1.35 is replacing old page-type Talk with Forum-like talk.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:Talk_pages

Loading editor
    • Fandom will be using MediaWiki be version 1.33 not 1.35!

Loading editor
    • Jrooksjr wrote:
      Fandom will be using MediaWiki be version 1.33 not 1.35!

It said it if it would upgrade in the following years. Because MW1.35 is in Beta

Loading editor
    • Per that link, as stated before, talk pages are apart of MediaWiki but can be bypassed with extensions! They then said that they were using the Discussions extension. They did not say that Talk pages were replaced in MediaWiki.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:

I'm unable to login into AutoWikiBrowser on UCP wikis but I can successfully do so on non-UCP wikis. When I attempt to log into https://wreckit-woodhouse.fandom.com/ I get the following rather unhelpful error:

It turns out I simply didn't understand how to use AWB, I have everything running now!

I hate it when people just say "Everything is working now!" without explaining how they got it working. So that's what this is.

I only attempted this on a UCP wiki, wreckit-woodhouse.fandom.com. Steps might/might not be different for non-UCP wikis or more vanilla mediawiki instances.

After downloading AWB head to Special:BotPasswords and create a bot by typing in your bot username, I used Username-UCPBot, so Himmalerin-UCPBot. Press "Create".

On the next page you can choose what your bot account can do, at the very least you probably want to check "Create, edit, and move pages". After choosing all the permissions you'd like to apply to your bot, scroll down to the bottom of the page and press "Create".

A message will show up, saying something along the lines of

The bot password for bot name "$YourBotName" of user "$YourUsername" was created.

The new password to log in with $YourUsername@$YourBotName is $PasswordString. Please record this for future reference. (For old bots which require the login name to be the same as the eventual username, you can also use $YourUsername as username and </b>$YourBotName</b>@$PasswordString as password.)

Run AWB and follow Help:Using AutoWikiBrowser. When it comes to put the wiki name in, use wreckit-woodhouse.fandom.com as the the name. When it comes to log into AWB, use $YourUsername@$YourBotName as the username and $PasswordString as the password. NOT $YourUsername as the username and $YourBotName@$PasswordString as the password. You should now be successfully logged in. You can now use AWB, either follow the rest of the help page or mess around.

Loading editor
    • TreeIsLife wrote: But ok, so now comments are not here, there are 2 talks pages and it will be better, to fix it. But Messages walls are only tempory thing, as MediaWiki 1.35 is replacing old page-type Talk with Forum-like talk.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:Talk_pages

No, no they aren't. That is a usable but "failed" experiment called Structured Discussions, later renamed to Flow. They're completely scrapping it and starting over with normal talk pages and making minor improvements to them to make using talk pages easier. See Talk pages project and an example image here.

Loading editor
    • Hello. I just saw this thread; I created a wiki today, and there are a few issues that I figured I'd bring up.

• Videos in infoboxes: when a video is put in an infobox, the play icon is enlarged and moved down, nearly doubling the size of the infobox.
      Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 8.05.30 PM
      • Videos in galleries have messed-up images
      Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 8.07.42 PM
      • No option to set editor defaults; I prefer source editor, and it always defaults to Visual Editor.
      • No permission to create the CSS; I heard that CSS had not been implemented yet, so that one just might be waiting for it to be implemented.
      • No Special:WikiActivity; only Special:RecentChanges

Thanks for your time!

Loading editor
    • NerdWithAKeyboard wrote:

• No option to set editor defaults; I prefer source editor, and it always defaults to Visual Editor.

You have to disable visual editor in preferences (in the new UCP) but this will disable source editor on non-UCP wiki. It is a know bug (Thread:1823409#104).

Loading editor
    • I think it would be great if you added a feature to disable to UCP platform because it's really confusing for me. I've been using the Legacy platform ever since I started here.

Loading editor
    • The UCP is only for new wikis at this time. You are still able to use the legacy platform for wikis made before March 11th

Loading editor
    • Special:WikiActivity is a must, I agree it would work well in tandem with Special:RecentChanges.

Users on our Wiki who I gave the link to are finding the Recent Changes tab to be hard to navigate due to how small and close together all the entries are. It looks very 'technical' and has been offputting for more casual users who just want to come in, socialise, and chat to their friends. I'm an admin and I'm finding looking at it needlessly difficult. Maybe it's my ADHD, but it is so much information at once and I can't really focus on any of it. I appreciate it has its uses! I would just hope Wiki Activity is ported over or there are efforts to make Recent Changes more accessible. 

I think I read here that comments will be making a comeback, and I hope they do. The name change from Wiki to Fandom really screwed our site over (turns out everafterhighfandom.fandom gets dwarfed by everafterhigh.fandom in search engines, who knew) and getting rid of the comments and Wiki Activity (the hub for activity on many Wikis) would be the nail in the coffin for us.

This all sounded negative of me, but honestly aside from those two things, I'm pretty damn happy with the changes.

Loading editor
    • I mean, we should be able to switch platforms in new wikis, not old ones. I made a new wiki recently but can't seem to change it back to the Legacy platform. All my older wikis are in the Legacy platform.

Loading editor
    • Aquamarinesandopals wrote: Special:WikiActivity is a must, I agree it would work well in tandem with Special:RecentChanges.

Users on our Wiki who I gave the link to are finding the Recent Changes tab to be hard to navigate due to how small and close together all the entries are. It looks very 'technical' and has been offputting for more casual users who just want to come in, socialise, and chat to their friends. I'm an admin and I'm finding looking at it needlessly difficult. Maybe it's my ADHD, but it is so much information at once and I can't really focus on any of it. I appreciate it has its uses! I would just hope Wiki Activity is ported over or there are efforts to make Recent Changes more accessible. 

I think I read here that comments will be making a comeback, and I hope they do. The name change from Wiki to Fandom really screwed our site over (turns out everafterhighfandom.fandom gets dwarfed by everafterhigh.fandom in search engines, who knew) and getting rid of the comments and Wiki Activity (the hub for activity on many Wikis) would be the nail in the coffin for us.

This all sounded negative of me, but honestly aside from those two things, I'm pretty damn happy with the changes.

Comments will not have comeback, as it was mentioned in blog. Special:RecentChanges can be set-up to show content, that's in WikiActivity. This is becouse RC got really big overhaul in 7 years. There are filter savers, and other good stuff. If you were on Wikipedia's (or on other Wikimedia project) RC, you know that.

Loading editor
    • TreeIsLife wrote:

Comments will not have comeback, as it was mentioned in blog.

Where does the blog say that? I see it saying article comments will be retired, but it also says Message Walls are being retired, and we have a replacement for that, I don't see why it should be different with Article comments.

Aquamarinesandopals wrote: Maybe it's my ADHD, but it is so much information at once and I can't really focus on any of it. I appreciate it has its uses! I would just hope Wiki Activity is ported over or there are efforts to make Recent Changes more accessible. 

You and your wiki might be interested in a stylesheet I'm writing for RC that will hopefully make it a little easier to read. Given that WikiActivity has stylesheets at a site-wide scope w/o violating the Customization Policy, when UCP wikis have CSS you should be able to apply it for the entire wiki to use.

Loading editor
    • What will happen to the comments then? Some of our pages have hundreds of comments from over 7 years, I don't think our userbase would be happy to see them vanish. I appreciate we may be atypical, but a lot of our wiki has had its culture (so to speak) grown in the comments - most of our users have been around for the whole of thsoe 7 years and considering so many of us grew up on this Wiki, I'd hope there is at least a way to archive the comments. It would be a lot of memories lost.

My issue with the RC I'm seeing isn't the content on it (though absolutely, if Wiki Activity is going then it needs to include the stuff from there), it is how it is displayed and laid out.

Wiki Activity spaces things out and gives each page being edited its own line, the name of the user and the time of the edit on another, and then has a summary on another. It is incredibly digestable for people like me (and our only other admin), with disabilities that make it hard to engage with long, seemingly endless streams of text with minimal visual difference between them. 

Furthermore the look is intimidating for our casual users. It looks too technical for them. If this can be customised that is a big benefit, but if new users (our userbase is also often very young) can't navigate it they just won't stick around to find out.

Unless there are suitable replacements, losing these will be a huge detriment to us. If the RC sees no aesthetic updates to make it more accessible then I can't see us being able to move forward, unfortunately. 

Loading editor
    • Aquamarinesandopals wrote:
      What will happen to the comments then? Some of our pages have hundreds of comments from over 7 years, I don't think our userbase would be happy to see them vanish. I appreciate we may be atypical, but a lot of our wiki has had its culture (so to speak) grown in the comments - most of our users have been around for the whole of thsoe 7 years and considering so many of us grew up on this Wiki, I'd hope there is at least a way to archive the comments. It would be a lot of memories lost.

My issue with the RC I'm seeing isn't the content on it (though absolutely, if Wiki Activity is going then it needs to include the stuff from there), it is how it is displayed and laid out.

Wiki Activity spaces things out and gives each page being edited its own line, the name of the user and the time of the edit on another, and then has a summary on another. It is incredibly digestable for people like me (and our only other admin), with disabilities that make it hard to engage with long, seemingly endless streams of text with minimal visual difference between them. 

Furthermore the look is intimidating for our casual users. It looks too technical for them. If this can be customised that is a big benefit, but if new users (our userbase is also often very young) can't navigate it they just won't stick around to find out.

Unless there are suitable replacements, losing these will be a huge detriment to us. If the RC sees no aesthetic updates to make it more accessible then I can't see us being able to move forward, unfortunately. 

Is it true that Article Comments will disappear? If so, I can see both positives and negatives to this decision: 

The Pros: Less potential for vandalism on that front, people won't post spam anymore in comments. 

The Cons: People in general wouldn't be able to share their thoughts on a subject anymore, lack of communication among the community. 

To the user whose reply I quoted, I kind of feel you on the whole "losing memories on comments" type of thing; a lot of memories have been made via blog posts and comments on my main wiki, which is Arthur Wiki. Losing the comments would cut back on people posting spam, sure, but it would also lose some good memories. 

On a side note, I don't get why people are complaining about Recent Changes. I personally don't mind the change over to this format. This type of format is also used on Grifkuba, another wiki site that I go on, so maybe I'm just more used to this format than others. 

-Arthur Read fan 

Loading editor
    • Per previous blog posts, Article Comments are being rebuilt to not rely on retired code. They are not currently on new UCP wikis, as they were not deemed critical for this stage of Phase 1.

Loading editor
    • Despite all the knee jerk reactions to the new UPC so far (which I hope isn't discouraging staff who have been working so hard on this). What benefits will we get now we couldn't before (that may have not been mentioned as of yet)?

So far what some of us are losing (which may of course be rectified before this goes to legacy wikis) hasn't seem worth it (to some of us on the surface so far) but knowing what we can and will gain may help people to have patience for a more finished product.

Loading editor
    • If that means they'll appear again in some form, so wikis like ours don't have to rely on talk pages which really won't work for the community we've built, then that is a lot of concern from us alleviated. 

The lack of comment about the WA/RC is troubling, though. Please do consider accessibility IRT the RC page. I know I'm in a minority, but I'm really not saying this to be whiny or something. I think the page looks fine aesthetically otherwise, and I can see how useful it could be, I just... can't use it easily. If the WA is going I'm obviously sad, but I do understand and I hope we can at least get a toggle on RC between what it is now and someting more readable. I really don't want an aesthetic choice that bumps off our admin team to be the nail in the coffin for us.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:
      Despite all the knee jerk reactions to the new UPC so far (which I hope isn't discouraging staff who have been working so hard on this). What benefits will we get now we couldn't before (that may have not been mentioned as of yet)?

So far what some of us are losing (which may of course be rectified before this goes to legacy wikis) hasn't seem worth it (to some of us on the surface so far) but knowing what we can and will gain may help people to have patience for a more finished product.

Phase 1 is about upgrading and unifying the platforms.

Phase 2 is when we can begin widespread experience enhancements based on the modern foundation. This will include new passes at wiki designs, engagement options, Extension availability (MW 1.33 opens a lot of doors here!), etc.

Beyond Phase 2 is when we can work on adding new content types which enhance the wiki experience. The big one we're looking at is a robust system for wikis to create maps related to their fandoms.

We're in release 1 of stage 1 of Phase 1. This is a marathon for the really good stuff, not a sprint.

Loading editor
    • Aquamarinesandopals wrote:
      If that means they'll appear again in some form, so wikis like ours don't have to rely on talk pages which really won't work for the community we've built, then that is a lot of concern from us alleviated. 

The lack of comment about the WA/RC is troubling, though. Please do consider accessibility IRT the RC page. I know I'm in a minority, but I'm really not saying this to be whiny or something. I think the page looks fine aesthetically otherwise, and I can see how useful it could be, I just... can't use it easily. If the WA is going I'm obviously sad, but I do understand and I hope we can at least get a toggle on RC between what it is now and someting more readable. I really don't want an aesthetic choice that bumps off our admin team to be the nail in the coffin for us.

Accessibility is something we're taking a deeper look at right now and will continue to do so when we go into design changes with Phase 2 of the project.

We hear the feedback about WikiActivity and we're tracking it.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Hollowness wrote:
      Despite all the knee jerk reactions to the new UPC so far (which I hope isn't discouraging staff who have been working so hard on this). What benefits will we get now we couldn't before (that may have not been mentioned as of yet)?

Phase 1 is about upgrading and unifying the platforms.

Phase 2 is when we can begin widespread experience enhancements based on the modern foundation. This will include new passes at wiki designs, engagement options, Extension availability (MW 1.33 opens a lot of doors here!), etc.

Beyond Phase 2 is when we can work on adding new content types which enhance the wiki experience. The big one we're looking at is a robust system for wikis to create maps related to their fandoms.

We're in release 1 of stage 1 of Phase 1. This is a marathon for the really good stuff, not a sprint.

For sure, but I think people are just having trouble seeing the big picture at this time. Thank you for posting this, I'll try to link/reference it to those who may need to see it simply outlined like that.

Loading editor
    • For UCP wikis that were broken by starter now being copied over correctly, there is no big picture. They are just broken.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      For UCP wikis that were broken by starter now being copied over correctly, there is no big picture. They are just broken.

For the third time now, the old starter wiki is NOT the source of new wiki spinup. Stop spreading misinformation.

Loading editor
    • Well, then where is the new starer wiki and how do you explain all the missing templates on new UCP wikis?

What you're saying isn't helping and doesn't make these wikis work.

Loading editor
    • This is NOT the feature complete release. We will continue to have releases which add new functionality until Phase 1 is complete and obviously continue to fix bugs throughout Phase 1 (next several months) and beyond. Release cadence will be swift.

I think this may not have been clear, despite being said at the outset. As we continue to add features to the communities on the new platform, so too will we add content functions. Starter was always intentionally minimal, and used to add some basics to demonstrate how additional templates can be made and start communities off on the right foot.

The starter for the new UCP communities is in a private database. It's not accessible by outside users. Shortly before feature releases for UCP, I will add any relevant additions that capitalize on newly available tools.

Loading editor
    • So, I think this starter thing is getting off track from the real problem. I created a Phase 1 UCP wiki and bunches of templates and some lua modules are missing. Is FANDOM staff aware of this problem? Is it considered not a problem (not sure why)?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: I created a Phase 1 UCP wiki and bunches of templates and some lua modules are missing.

They are missing because Scribunto has not been modified yet to be able to load global Lua modules from Dev. If they existed you would be seeing a lot of Lua script errors. I doubt this is considered a bug, as this is a feature-incomplete release and global Lua modules are just a missing feature.

Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote:

Fandyllic wrote: I created a Phase 1 UCP wiki and bunches of templates and some lua modules are missing.

They are missing because Scribunto has not been modified yet to be able to load global Lua modules from Dev. If they existed you would be seeing a lot of Lua script errors. I doubt this is considered a bug, as this is a feature-incomplete release and global Lua modules are just a missing feature.

Can confirm.

This is release 1 of the first stage of Phase 1. We're not at the full-bore advanced feature set and cannot cross-reference modules from the legacy platform.

Loading global modules from the legacy platform will fail.

Expecting the UCP starter wiki to be a 1:1 of the legacy starter wiki when the UCP is not a 1:1 of the legacy platform is a flawed assumption.

When we have more features ported over, the UCP starter wiki will evolve to reflect that feature set.

Loading editor
    • FishTank
      FishTank removed this reply because:
      Duplicate
      23:01, March 16, 2020
    • Why doesn't the hidden UCP starter have non-Lua template equivalents that copy over then? This whole UCP documentation by blog comment is getting pretty tiresome.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      Why doesn't the hidden UCP starter have non-Lua template equivalents that copy over then? This whole UCP documentation by blog comment is getting pretty tiresome.

Because it makes little sense to add them and then change them again once the functions are available. Nor do we intend to do a thorough documentation of a minor feature pre-addition via blog comment. 

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • Laclale wrote: What about custom with CSS and JS, and import FontAwesome?

https://7yultukuri7.fandom.com/ja/wiki/Font_Awesome

https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:FontAwesome

This is first release of the first stage of Phase 1! Custom CSS/JS will be added later. I don't know, if Extension:FontAwesome will be there.

Loading editor
    • There's no final list of extensions yet, but you can always suggest any you'd like for consideration via this form.

Loading editor
    • @ MisterWoodhouse

I am curious as to your thinking. Should new wiki enterprises be considering Gamepedia as an interim wiki to avoid the infantile nature of Fandom's starter wiki?

Loading editor
    • @Jade Emperor

The UCP (Unified Community Platform) will eventually replace the Fandom wikis and the Gamepedia wikis. They are in, as Mr. Woodhouse said,

They are working out the preliminary bugs, then the next release will fix more bugs and add more features, and so on.

Loading editor
    • FishTank wrote:

Because it makes little sense to add them and then change them again once the functions are available. Nor do we intend to do a thorough documentation of a minor feature pre-addition via blog comment. 

Is there any publicly available documentation of UCP besides blogs and blog comments?

Loading editor
    • I'm fine with that

Loading editor
    • When I try to edit with UCP on my phone, the editing bar obstructs my view.

Loading editor
    • i wanted to say i have a few dislikes of this new stuff and likes of it may i explane ?

Loading editor
    • Don't ask to ask, just ask. Or in this case, don't ask for permission to explain, just explain. That's what this thread is for, after all!

Loading editor
    • FANDOM staff probably won't read it, but if you want to share your problems with the new UCP wikis for other users to see, you can put it here: UCP Phase 1 new wiki reaction thread

Loading editor
    • Please continue to say if you spot bugs — how else are they going to get fixed?

Loading editor
    • Jrooksjr wrote: @Jade Emperor

The UCP (Unified Community Platform) will eventually replace the Fandom wikis and the Gamepedia wikis. They are in, as Mr. Woodhouse said,

They are working out the preliminary bugs, then the next release will fix more bugs and add more features, and so on.

I get all that but considering Gamepedia is already on MW1.33 the only growing pains will be when they start moving Gamepedia wikis to Fandom plateform; hopefully about the same time they upgrade to MW1.34.

Loading editor
    • Hopefully, Fandom will not do what they did in the past to the extreme that they did by making special Extensions specifically for Fandom that can not handle being upgraded to new MediaWiki releases every time a new one comes out!!!!

I remember, when it was Wikia and they went from like MW 1.09 to 1.13 and then 4+ years later finally upgraded to 1.19 and then that is where we have been ever since!

I understand they Fandom (Wikia) is not Wikipedia so they create their own extensions but when you add so many that you can not upgrade the Core program as a result of them then you have made too many.

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • @SlyCooperFan1, I hope it stays that way.

Loading editor
    • Yeah... That's sort of why they're removing Forums and replacing them with Discussions. Unmaintainable and prevents you from upgrading MediaWiki. Forums, Blogs, Message Walls, Article Comments, all are extensions written by Fandom that make it difficult to upgrade. Thus their removal/replacement

Which makes me wonder, could Discussions act as a standalone product?

Loading editor
    • Original Authority wrote: Please continue to say if you spot bugs — how else are they going to get fixed?

PNG/GIF Images have white background

w:c:wreckit-woodhouse:Testing_again

Loading editor
    • TableWiz wrote:

Original Authority wrote: Please continue to say if you spot bugs — how else are they going to get fixed?

PNG/GIF Images have white background
      (confirmation I am not the only one experiencing this)

As Andrewds1021 said in your linked thread, can you provide a link of a png/gif with transparency that is exhibiting this behavior?  I found a gif with transparency on the Wreck-It Woodhouse community, and while I have 1000 problems with compatibility, alpha turning into white on gifs and pngs is not one of them.

Loading editor
    • bring back classic editor and old visual editor

fix the background images (literally dark reader inverts the colors)

bring back the message inbox (the one that is not the bell)

revert the userpages back to where they were back in february

actually the whole ucp thing is a bad idea, keep in mind this is coming from an user since 2014, this acc might’ve been created in 2016 but i had plenty of accounts before

Loading editor
    • This is the first release of the first stage of the first phase. Have some patience while we get the new platform up to solution parity. Factoring 7 years and 14 generations of MediaWiki improvements is difficult and we're not going to do it in one fell swoop because that would be terrible. Releasing it bit by bit allows us to better track the sources of bugs and mitigate them.

Loading editor
    • Metal78 wrote: bring back classic editor and old visual editor

actually the whole ucp thing is a bad idea, keep in mind this is coming from an user since 2014, this acc might’ve been created in 2016 but i had plenty of accounts before

Original MediaWiki 1.19 is scrap now. Without Fandom costumizations, MediaWiki 1.19 Fandom wikis could be also scrap. But also with really big costumizing, it's inpossible to say you're modern wiki! That's why Fandom really wants to be up-to-date but with so many extensions created by Fandom - that's inpossible. Now, what is better, stay on old unsupported MediaWiki version or go to newer one (actually MediaWiki 1.33 will end-of-life in May, but still is newer one with small number of exploits). It is better to go on newer ones and I think Fandom wants that too for at least 7 years! And I'm supporting them.

Loading editor
    • Metal78 wrote:
      bring back classic editor and old visual editor

This is coming from a user since 2008: UCP is the best idea they've had in years.

This is just a long "I'm not used to it yet, gimme back the old superficial stuff". 

Loading editor
    • I actually though I was a 9ish year player but then I forgot CC isn't the wiki I first was on- Dragon Age Wiki was and that was Jan 2010 so I am 10 years on Wikia / Fandom.

Though I get the frustration and just wanting to go back but this bridge would have to be crossed eventually anyways and I really rather have it now while they are open to user feedback. I have a wish list and I really hope they consider it and beyond that the end result would be worth it.

And trust me I am a total miss picky pants; who hates change generally. This is like when you watch a reno show and the owners step in and all they see is the room ripped up and start freaking out- by the end result you might be crying happy and had no idea that it could be this great. Or you could be that one owner ticked off you couldn't keep that one thing cause it was riddled with black mold.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, this isn't a you-know-what measuring contest, it was merely meant to illustrate that "years on Fandom/Wikia/Wikicities" doesn't lend any more or less weight to one's opinion in an of itself.

Loading editor
    • The user who started that thread has since posted an example image as well as a link to where they are using it on their wiki. I also downloaded the copy they posted here on CC and uploaded it to MisterWoodhouse's test wiki. It appears that the upload process itself is fine; at least now. Regardless of whether there was an upload issue before or not, the current issue is that the transparency is not kept when the image is displayed on pages. This appears to be caused by a change in which URL is used. The UCP uses a different URL than the legacy platform. The behavior of this different URL is as it has always been; so if one knew of this change, one would have expected this.

The legacy platform uses Vignette's "scale-to-width-down" while UCP uses "fixed-aspect-ratio-down". The option used by UCP applies a background to the image so that the visible region is of a given aspect ratio. If the color of the background is not specified, it uses white. That is what we are seeing with these transparent images. To demonstrate:

<div style="height: 200px; width: 200px; background-color: red;">
      https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/central/images/5/54/Fabricator.gif/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/128
      </div>
      https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/central/images/5/54/Fabricator.gif/revision/latest/fixed-aspect-ratio-down/width/128/height/128
      </div>

Fabricator.gif

Fabricator.gif

Edit:

The issue could be fixed either by reverting to the legacy platform's behavior or by adding the fill parameter to the image URL.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/central/images/5/54/Fabricator.gif/revision/latest/fixed-aspect-ratio-down/width/128/height/128?fill=transparent
      </div>

Fabricator.gif
        Loading editor
    • There are many people who have not been around FANDOM/Wikia/Wikicities that long that have created new wikis recently and immediately noticed many problems. I suspect this first iteration of UCP is an MVP (but not in the good way) meaning "Minimum Viable Product". These are great for business as they get stuff out the door fast, but suck for users, because the determination of "minimum" usually has nothing to do with them.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: Yeah, this isn't a you-know-what measuring contest, it was merely meant to illustrate that "years on Fandom/Wikia/Wikicities" doesn't lend any more or less weight to one's opinion in an of itself.

To show you can relate to another vet user can be helpful in some cases; that is why I brought it up. Edit: Going into detail on random unimportant information is how I type (even how I talk- I think it is a nervous reaction to socializing)- bringing up random trivia or comparison while typing to personalize it or "humanize" the avatar on the computer screen.

But I do think staff does have some consideration of vet/long time users- so saying it doesn't lend any more or less weight I don't believe is entirely true. Most of the time you want information on your demographs of new and old- stating your demograph might actually prove helpful to staff.

But I am not saying vet users supersede newer ones.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: Yeah, this isn't a you-know-what measuring contest, it was merely meant to illustrate that "years on Fandom/Wikia/Wikicities" doesn't lend any more or less weight to one's opinion in an of itself.

And not to go on about this but obviously this is bothering me. I would like to think I would not have live in trepidation after trying to help/relate to an upset user from someone granted with "Helper" and "Councilor" status. It comes across as demeaning and invalidating- which is the last thing to expect from a helper or councilor.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

Tupka217 wrote: Yeah, this isn't a you-know-what measuring contest, it was merely meant to illustrate that "years on Fandom/Wikia/Wikicities" doesn't lend any more or less weight to one's opinion in an of itself.

And not to go on about this but obviously this is bothering me. I would like to think I would not have live in trepidation after trying to help/relate to an upset user from someone granted with "Helper" and "Councilor" status. It comes across as demeaning and invalidating- which is the last thing to expect from a helper or councilor.

You're seeing something in what Tupka said that I don't see. Likely, you were the only one who took it as a slight.

Tupka's point is that unless your time around here is relevant to the point, it isn't important and should be left out. In this case, I don't see how your time period of experience is relevant...

More directly to your point, FANDOM set a precedent by keeping Forum available (we're using it now), but adding Discussions for new wikis. However, just as happened then, many people were disappointed and upset that they couldn't start with or go to Forum (and many still are). In my opinion, you are the one doing the invalidating. You're trying to make it seem that people who think UCP phase 1 sucks don't have good reasons, because they don't share your point of view.

Loading editor
    • I've complained more than once that the title "Helper" just confuses people as it's Fandom I'm helping, not every user on Fandom. But that's derailing the conversation.

Loading editor
    • We haven't had change for so long, and getting a replacement with limited functionality is probably not the best first impression for people who are only used to one thing.

I'm just glad my "one thing" is source, which is core MediaWiki so is probably never going.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

I specifically said it was to try to relate to the user (but forgetting to quote). And I do believe my post was we can't judge until we have the finished project. If the user mentioned their favorite colour to start their post- I may have mentioned mine (then what we'd be arguing over the importance to preferred colours?).

This is a difficult stage 1 phase 1 and it is currently sucking (I am not denying that)- I was merely trying to say what I believed could help. The I felt being nit-picked for mentioning what I believe- I see even you say (your time at Fandom/Wikia/Wikicities), it is a common tidbit people mention.

I just don't see the value of nit-picking someone trying to relate to a user in order to help. The last thing we need during this stressful stage is this. I have always respected both you and Tupka and I was speaking in what I believe was a respectful tone (I hope that is the case for you two (too)) over- how I felt their comment was to me (which means I was clearly upset by it).

If the user was upset by my comment for being demeaning and invalidating- I'd at least try to reassure that wasn't my intention instead of inflaming more.

When you provide help for me (which you have countlessly through out the years) I must admit I found it comforting know you were a vet user but I wouldn't not take your help if you weren't. This was about relating; not saying time in is more important.

edit: slammed isn't exactly accurate term so replaced.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: We haven't had change for so long, and getting a replacement with limited functionality is probably not the best first impression for people who are only used to one thing.

I'm just glad my "one thing" is source, which is core MediaWiki so is probably never going.

Agreed on both points.

Tupka217 wrote: I've complained more than once that the title "Helper" just confuses people as it's Fandom I'm helping, not every user on Fandom. But that's derailing the conversation.

I am sorry, I feel bad to have brought it up since it is already something that causes you grief. But you have helped me loads, so I did assume it was universal.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

The user who started that thread has since posted an example image as well as a link to where they are using it on their wiki. I also downloaded the copy they posted here on CC and uploaded it to MisterWoodhouse's test wiki. It appears that the upload process itself is fine; at least now. Regardless of whether there was an upload issue before or not, the current issue is that the transparency is not kept when the image is displayed on pages. This appears to be caused by a change in which URL is used. The UCP uses a different URL than the legacy platform. The behavior of this different URL is as it has always been; so if one knew of this change, one would have expected this.

The legacy platform uses Vignette's "scale-to-width-down" while UCP uses "fixed-aspect-ratio-down". The option used by UCP applies a background to the image so that the visible region is of a given aspect ratio. If the color of the background is not specified, it uses white. That is what we are seeing with these transparent images. To demonstrate:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/central/images/5/54/Fabricator.gif/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/128
      </div>
      https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/central/images/5/54/Fabricator.gif/revision/latest/fixed-aspect-ratio-down/width/128/height/128
      </div>

Fabricator.gif

Fabricator.gif

Edit:

The issue could be fixed either by reverting to the legacy platform's behavior or by adding the fill parameter to the image URL.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/central/images/5/54/Fabricator.gif/revision/latest/fixed-aspect-ratio-down/width/128/height/128?fill=transparent
      </div>

Fabricator.gif

This is a known bug — there is a ticket and a fix is presumably in the work.

Loading editor
    • @Original Authority: I think you missed a div close (</div>) somewhere. It makes it hard to tell what you added.

@Hollowness: The problem is you sound like a FANDOM shill. Saying the UCP is a work in progress and Phase 1 is only the beginning doesn't help those who are suffering from its awfulness. For my part I've abandoned my UCP wiki until Phase 2, because it is so bad. Part of the problem is that it is missing functionality that it shouldn't be missing, like many standard templates that should work and should be part of a new wiki, but just are not there. I just don't want to manually fix all the crap I've been given. They also don't seem to acknowledge this problem.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: @Hollowness: The problem is you sound like a FANDOM shill. Saying the UCP is a work in progress and Phase 1 is only the beginning doesn't help those who are suffering from its awfulness. For my part I've abandoned my UCP wiki until Phase 2, because it is so bad. Part of the problem is that it is missing functionality that it shouldn't be missing, like many standard templates that should work and should be part of a new wiki, but just are not there. I just don't want to manually fix all the crap I've been given. They also don't seem to acknowledge this problem.

I admit I have been more on cheerleader/optimism mode but mostly cause life sucks universally for everyone atm (but I assure you it isn't because I want to hump Fandom's leg). I actually think this should never have gone live and only 1 beta wiki open to test. But it's not like this is going to be reversed just because we are unimpressed.

I was really close to just freaking out over all of this myself- I even started too in a few posts (but... (too much personal information incoming) I am dealing with a friend's death and didn't want to make this UPC stage 1/phase 1 fail start my whipping boy (and so I may be over compensating with being overly positive but I assure you it isn't for fandom's benefit (it's for mine and for others stressing)))- I am actually disgusted with the UPC wiki as it is at this time (to me it is nonfunctional)- I too have abandoned till I see functionality fixes.

All in all my overly optimistic tone- will change if this does not improve. And I will probably be crankier and more raging then the general tone others are showing. But I thought the least I could do is give it a chance and give other's a perspective that things could get much much better and worth it.

Loading editor
    • I feel like we're continuously forgetting something here: this is a beta. Updates to the UCP will be coming at a rapid pace, we just got another thread with the highlights of the most recent release which doesn't even mention a lot of the bug fixes.

Arguing at each other in here about being Fandom shills is a complete waste of time. We should be giving our feedback without making it so personally charged. This is the start of a brand-new platform: there were always going to be teething problems. Let's work to give Fandom the feedback necessary to point out what needs work, and give them time to act on that feedback.

Loading editor
    • Dude, I have been around a long time in the computer industry. The sh!t about releasing betas to a widespread audience has only become acceptable, because Google has released some really good betas and people forget what crap betas look like.

You don't force everyone who makes a new wiki into beta, that's just bullsh!t. Just because we're used to FANDOM doing it, doesn't mean it should be acceptable.

Here's my advice to those who want to make a new wiki: wait. You may have to wait 3-6 months, but UCP phase 1 is pretty bad and if FANDOM keeps their promises, Phase 2 should be loads better. But that doesn't make Phase 1 good.

Loading editor
    • I agree that everyone needs to remember that Fandom is still working on a lot of additional features. However, I also agree with Fandyllic's stance on "beta" testing. You should not be rolling out your beta test; especially to new users.

Loading editor
    • Please post here if you find anything missing or wrong; we can file bugs from this thread.

Loading editor
    • It would be better to start a thread on the General Discussion board as people tend to fill these comment feeds with random cr@p.

Loading editor
    • Please keep the thread on topic and appropriate (including no swearing please). Offtopic and inappropriate replies will be removed.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote: In the source editor, the mobile cursor (with desktop site enabled) is not in the same place as the selected text.

This is my problem too. I can't edit this way. I don't think I want to use a mobile editor, whatever it is, instead of a full-size editor. Sorry for my English.

Loading editor
    • Hi. Please, could you move on next thread (link), becouse this thread will not be commented by Fandom Staff anymore.

Loading editor
    • TreeIsLife wrote: Hi. Please, could you move on next thread (link), becouse this thread will not be commented by Fandom Staff anymore.

This is incorrect. This thread is still monitored.

Loading editor

TreeIsLife wrote: Hi. Please, could you move on next thread (link), becouse this thread will not be commented by Fandom Staff anymore.

This is incorrect. This thread is still monitored.

It is still monitored, but the new thread is vital to ensure that already corrected things are not being discussed as if they are still a problem.

Loading editor
    • will chat no longer be on fandom after this process??

Loading editor
    • Cocopuff2018 wrote: will chat no longer be on fandom after this process??

I have nothing to announce about Chat at this time.

Loading editor
    • ok. im assuming chat may get removed

Loading editor
    • Are you able to share anything regarding blogs at the moment? Can we expect a replacement for them?

Personally, I've been curious if Discussions would be put forward to supersede the use of blogs, as I can see the purpose and usage of both features correlating to a decent extent.

Loading editor
    • CrazyForMyself wrote: Are you able to share anything regarding blogs at the moment? Can we expect a replacement for them?

Personally, I've been curious if Discussions would be put forward to supersede the use of blogs, as I can see the purpose and usage of both features correlating to a decent extent.

Last I heard was:

Brandon Rhea wrote: We're still evaluating the future of the Blog feature. Since no decisions have been made about it yet, it won't be available on new UCP wikis at this point.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Dude, I have been around a long time in the computer industry. The sh!t about releasing betas to a widespread audience has only become acceptable, because Google has released some really good betas and people forget what crap betas look like.

You don't force everyone who makes a new wiki into beta, that's just bullsh!t. Just because we're used to FANDOM doing it, doesn't mean it should be acceptable.

Here's my advice to those who want to make a new wiki: wait. You may have to wait 3-6 months, but UCP phase 1 is pretty bad and if FANDOM keeps their promises, Phase 2 should be loads better. But that doesn't make Phase 1 good.

EXACTLY.

honestly might revert the whole ucp change as a whole tbh

in january 2016, wikia launched a news site called fandom and not even a year later, wikia is remamed to fandom

and fandom gets new workers and staff and it all comes to the point where fandom was to merge with gamepedia because of staff ideas i suppose?

the fandom renaming update in general was the very thing that led to the events of the ultimate death of wikia, the ucp

will it remain ucp or will it have another name?

i expected less noticeable changes from this update, you know. turns out it’s gonna make people leave (probs including me i don’t know tbh) i guess

Loading editor
    • Metal78 wrote:

i expected less noticeable changes from this update, you know. turns out it’s gonna make people leave (probs including me i don’t know tbh) i guess

Do you have any specific reasons for this? People keep saying "If UCP goes through I'm leaving" but they never say what they don't like (except RC bad, WikiActivity good), let alone give actual feedback as to what could be improved.

Loading editor
    • It will more than likely not be known as anything when the legacy platform (MW 1.19) is switched off. The platform will then just be known as the Fandom platform, I suppose, or just as Fandom.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:

Metal78 wrote:

Do you have any specific reasons for this? People keep saying "If UCP goes through I'm leaving" but they never say what they don't like (except RC bad, WikiActivity good), let alone give actual feedback as to what could be improved.

Also... WikiActivity is a Fandom extension. Where are you going to? None of the other wiki farms will have it.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:
      Metal78 wrote:

ok, got any problem with that? i was giving actual feedback, and also i was saying how people could leave over this change, all you're trying to prove is you're just assuming things

Loading editor
    • Started a new wiki with the UCP platform... can't figure out how the wikitext works since it's all different for me. I can't even make an Infobox, lmao. Can someone help?

Loading editor
    • There's no Infobox Builder yet, that will come later. As for wikitext, you can disable the editor in your peferences.

Loading editor
    • Wikitext works the same. You just have to make sure you are in source mode instead of visual mode.

Loading editor
    • Having said that, I just tinkered some more on my test wiki (Dislaytitle definitely doesn't work), and I could only pick between Visual and Source editor, whereas before, I could disable the editor and thus get the source code window.

Loading editor
    • Interesting. I believe someone else managed to do that in the next thread but they had to disable JS; which I don't think is worth-it. I did get the "plain editor" on a wiki but only because I wasn't allowed to edit the page. So I guess maybe you get it when only viewing source? Doesn't do any good if you are actually trying to edit though.

Loading editor
    • As expected, even in source mode, the new editor is much slower. At least it respects your preferences and defaults to source mode, if desired.

Loading editor
    • Oh God, this new platform is causing me a whole lot of trouble. Even the sliders look different. Honestly think the old sliders look way better.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

@Hollowness: The problem is you sound like a FANDOM shill. Saying the UCP is a work in progress and Phase 1 is only the beginning doesn't help those who are suffering from its awfulness. For my part I've abandoned my UCP wiki until Phase 2, because it is so bad. Part of the problem is that it is missing functionality that it shouldn't be missing, like many standard templates that should work and should be part of a new wiki, but just are not there. I just don't want to manually fix all the crap I've been given. They also don't seem to acknowledge this problem.

If you continue to make personal attacks, there will be consequences. Cut that out.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      not necessary
      14:17, March 23, 2020
    • When will we be able to make Infoboxes on UCP? I'm testing it out on a wiki so I can get used to the new platform, because I'm honestly so lost right now.

Loading editor