FANDOM

• https://viacomcbs.fandom.com/wiki/ViacomCBS_Wiki

Me and some other user have edited on this wiki for a about 2/3 months now and there seems to be less activity / activity gaps. Advice about how to resolve this would be appreciated. There are users, but in a very limited quantity.

Loading editor
    • Unfortunately there are only two ways to increase activity:

1. Increase the activity of each current user
      2. Increase the number of users

So you are going to need to find a way to either encourage the current community to do more or to attract new users (or both).

Loading editor
      1. created blog - failed (users wouldn’t respond)
      2. tried contacting them individually - partial success (some users take breaks)

Anything else, in terms of problems?

Loading editor
    • Not that I know of. However, I am probably not the best person to be giving advice on this issue. Hopefully someone with more experience with growing a wiki will leave a reply.

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote: https://viacomcbs.fandom.com/wiki/ViacomCBS_Wiki

Me and some other user have edited on this wiki for a about 2/3 months now and there seems to be less activity / activity gaps. Advice about how to resolve this would be appreciated. There are users, but in a very limited quantity.

2/3 of a month, goodness, that isn't much time at all. I've been at a wiki for over 3 months(4000 edits) with just a slight uptick of editors and by analyst data that I can access, page views.

Another wiki, really old games, that is years old, hasn't had any editors other then myself; but still attracts page hits. I assume the few posts at an old forum is the reason for the page hits.

Place high quality information on the wiki and link to it at other places where interested may find it. Shrug, I am not the best example of a wiki guru; for that explore popular wiki with top WAM scoring. https://community.fandom.com/wiki/WAM_Hall_of_Fame

Loading editor
    • I would ask people at wikis for specific shows to make sure the page related to their show was up to date on your wiki. Usually they want the info for their show to be good and they can add a link to their wiki on the show page.

I would also get rid of the Table of Contents on your main page or put it at the bottom. It is pretty annoying and pushes the actual info down quite a bit.

Loading editor
    • Is there a way to remove the TOC without removing the = identifiers?

Loading editor
    • And also I would like to have links available for those shows so that they can provide their content.

Loading editor
    • To remove the TOC from a page, place __NOTOC__ on the page. You can always link to a page whether or not it exists. There is nothing special you have to do to have links.

Loading editor
    • As posted by Andrewds1021 in this thread, you can use Special:PrefixIndex as a search engine

{{Special:PrefixIndex/namespace:searchword}}

As the namespace is an article page, you will leave blank. So you could list all pages with a prefix of "Nick" which will list Nickelodeon as well as Nick

{{Special:PrefixIndex/:Nick}}

As the categories grow, you might want to list all related Nick categories

{{:Special:PrefixIndex/Category:Nick}}
        Loading editor
    • I use a tabber system for the front page, would the installation of the new code be helpful?

Loading editor
    • It depends on what it is you are trying to do. If you are trying to make a list of existing pages for each tab, then yes, it could help.

Loading editor
    • Then what does the special prefix thing help with?

Loading editor
    • The special prefix thing will provide a list of pages with a certain string as the start of the name. For instance, in the Paramount tab, you have a list of a bunch of pages that all start with "Paramount". Instead of manually adding each page, you could put this instead:

{{Special:PrefixIndex/Paramount}}

I am not sure if this is what you need or not. I am just talking about it because TableWiz brought it up. Personally, I am still uncertain about what you mean by "I would like to have links".

Loading editor
    • For the show based wikis' admins to be able to help out with adding content they have available without plagiarizing their own wiki.

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote:

For the show based wikis' admins to be able to help out with adding content they have available without plagiarizing their own wiki.

Is this a question?... seems like an incomplete sentence.

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote: For the show based wikis' admins to be able to help out with adding content they have available without plagiarizing their own wiki.

EDITED FOR FANDYLLIC:

That answer of "links" is for the show based wikis' admins to be able to help out with adding content they have available without plagiarizing their own wiki.

Loading editor
    • I still don't understand, but I guess it isn't important.

Loading editor
    • I have to agree with Fandyllic in the sense that I still don't understand what you are looking to do. Are you saying you want to provide them with links to empty pages for them to fill with content?

Loading editor
    • No, Andrew, and Fandyllic,

I’m saying that I would have them provide their wikis content on the centralized ViacomCBS Wiki, for mostly the CBS / CW shows and programming.

Loading editor
    • Right. I got that much. What I am trying to understand is what that has to do with links.

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote: No, Andrew, and Fandyllic,

I’m saying that I would have them provide their wikis content on the centralized ViacomCBS Wiki, for mostly the CBS / CW shows and programming.

If they are Fandom wiki's then it is a simple matter of asking the Admins if it is OK to 'Export' their content onto your wiki. Some editors may have issues with their creations being used as such, shrug, work it out.

Outside Wiki or Sites usually have copyright to the content, so it isn't going to be at all pragmatic.

Loading editor
    • Its not clear to me what content needs to be copied or transferred. The previous replies had almost no useful detail. There is no need to have a ViacomCBS wiki have more than summary info about particular subsidiaries and TV shows.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic,

Is this more of a Disney wiki situation where the content mainly focuses as being a generalist place for Viacomcbs properties

Loading editor
    • That doesn't make me want to change anything about what I said, but I guess I don't understand why admins of other wikis have to give permission or get involved at all directly. If I were working on the ViacomCBS wiki, I would make some stub or summary pages about stuff covered in other wikis and invite users (not necessarily admins) from those other wikis to review the pages for accuracy and correctness. If they want to fix them or add stuff, they are free to, but they aren't obligated to add or edit (because they aren't).

Everything you've said up to now is super vague.

Loading editor
    • So the idea is that user come to your wiki for a brief over view and then go to the other wikis for more details?

Loading editor
    • The idea is that they can a summarized page about the show and some characters

Loading editor
    • I am a hypeactive editior on the Rise of nations Wiki. Some days we have 2 edits; Some days we have so many that I need to take a few goes at reviewing them. Not having a lot of activity is normal for many wikis. Every once in a while the wiki will face a slump. Unless it continues long-term, you shouldn't be worried.

Loading editor
    • RealKnockout wrote: I am a hypeactive editior on the Rise of nations Wiki. Some days we have 2 edits; Some days we have so many that I need to take a few goes at reviewing them.

That is off topic on the subject that this conversation is about https://viacomcbs.fandom.com/wiki/ViacomCBS_Wiki

Loading editor
    • If you have already reached out to the other communities, then there isn't much more to do. Fandyllic's suggestion may be your best option at the moment.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.