FANDOM

• From what I read in this Wiki the "Comments" setction of Articles should go away with the implementation of the new "UCP" something in Arpil 2020 or soon after ... 

At the present time,  tthe only replacement available I can think of will be DIscussions and Taggin the relevant Article/Page in the Discussions post., which quite a change since all pages "comments"  will now be bunched  together ...  

I guess that beging creative with the FIlter feature of Discussions can achieve a somewhat similar results than the in-Page comments...

Loading editor
    • Forums is being replaced in April. Neither the timeline nor replacements for comments and message walls have been publicly announced save for Community Connect 2020. Recordings of Community Connect 2020 along with further details about the replacements for comments and message walls are supposed to be coming out in the next few weeks.

I can guarantee you that the UCP is not coming in April. From the sounds of it, they haven't even finished planning everything out yet.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

Forums is being replaced in April.

This seems wrong. I believe Forum will be removed in April with no replacement unless you count Discussions which most of us who like Forum don't agree with.

If you found some FANDOM staff announcement about some replacement that isn't Discussions (since it is already here, so I'm not sure how it can be replacing anything), please give a link.

Oh, and FANDOM staff haven't announced what they are going to do for CC, Templates, and other wikis that have specific needs that require Forum to be useful.

Loading editor
    • @Fandyllic the only info I have is MisterWoodhouse  late January blog on Connect2020  saying that a blog on Forums ( ergo Comments) replacement was "in the works" and "TBA" soon ..   

​​​​​Thinking aloud  since it seems they will leave the  Wiki-text/DPLforums maybe a network of well maintained Pages within a  few chosen Catgories can achieve something that is close enought to the current "Forums" model ?   I am just spiballing here since I never saw Froums, our Wiki has Discussions enabled.

Loading editor
    • "In the works" and "TBA" is in no way useful information. The inadequacy of DPL forums has already been talked to death. I won't re-hash it. Also, FANDOM staff has explicitly said they won't directly help wikis who want to migrate to DPL forum, they will just link to docs and advise.

As an aside, here's what I think of "soon".

You don't need to see Forum on other wikis. You're in it here.

Loading editor
    • BluesDriver, that idea sounds nice on the surface and I once even started working on a solution to display page contents in such a manner (although didn't get too far as there was/is little demand). It was started as an idea for displaying article comments while the feature itself was disabled. However, to use categories would require a unique category for each conversation. One could use a similar page naming system to what is currently used for threaded discussions (and what the initial idea was meant to work with). However, I imagine such a system would be confusing to new users. On top of that, such a system would not be able to provide the per-comment protections that currently apply in threaded discussions.

Fandyllic, that might be the general opinion here on Community Central and a few other wikis but I have no issue believing that most wikis find Discussions a suitable replacement. It is almost never possible to please everyone and FANDOM has found a solution which it thinks will satisfy most communities. They consider Discussions the replacement for Forums and have officially presented it as such. Therefore, when discussing the removal of Forums with a user whose position on the matter is undetermined, I believe it makes most sense to consider Discussions the replacement for Forums; whether or not I think it is a good replacement.

Loading editor
    • @Andrewds1021  I may be out ot luch  but I  believe most  smaller Wiksi did not fully relaize that FORUMS and COMMENTS are the same thing and that once FORUMS are gone they will not be able to comment on pages and will have to defer to DISCUSSIONS and tag pages in there ...  It seems to me to be  a major change and our Wiki Admins did not discussed it  at all nor advise people to familiartize themselves with DISCUSSIONS in the lead time to COMMENTS disaopearance.... But then, maybe everyone is resigned and wait for so see what is the replacement  while in the meantime  staying on on the sidelines to see  if Admins of bigger Wikis will rise hell indirectly on their behalf .. Pretty sure over 95% of our Wiki traffic goes through COMMENTS this will highly impact us ...

@Andrewds1021  CATEGORIES would be the equivalent of TOPIC / Sub-topic (so a limited and definite set)  then  the TOC would the "list of subjects" and people woudl "comment" by Editing the the "Subject" selected in the TOC ... There is a possibility I belive to have Article TOC sorted by alphabetical order or chronological order if the modus operandi is to add a "new subject" always as new Heading / Sub-Heading  at the end of  Page or existing Heading (=Subject) ... It is cumbersome but repreoduces what I most often saw in Topical Forums ,,,  People can then follow the "topical oages"  they are interested in .. Howewer Pages wiould grow HUGE on very active forums so they would need to be Copied to  an "archive structure" by week / month    ,,,  Not saying it is a solution.  it is just a possible & maybe temporary workaround using what most Editors/Contributors may be more familiar with ... Again this is off the cuff and would need to be properly tested before going any further ...

@Fandyllic  Your "soon" article, reminds me of a Southern saying I heard in Mississippi: "You'll do this sum'day ?  Well sum'day ain't no day of the week !  "

Loading editor
    • BluesDriver, as I already said in my first reply, comments and Forums are not the same feature. The only feature that currently has a set timeline for removal is Forums. Forums, article/blog comments, and message walls all operate on the same basic principle. It is this shared mechanic that is the reason for their removal. However, they are distinct features and each will be reciving its own replacement. Aside from Community Connect 2020, Wikia has not released any public information about the replacement for comments and/or message walls. As such, it is too early to conclude that the replacements for comments will be as discontected form the wiki as Discussions is. As a matter of fact, the lack of connection between Disucssions and the wiki is an issue that Wikia has fully ackowledged and which they claim they will try to avoid when designing the replacements for comments and message walls.

If that is what you meant, why not just use wiki-style forums? I fail to see a significant difference between what you are proposing and this already-in-use solution.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

Fandyllic, that might be the general opinion here on Community Central and a few other wikis but I have no issue believing that most wikis find Discussions a suitable replacement. It is almost never possible to please everyone and FANDOM has found a solution which it thinks will satisfy most communities. They consider Discussions the replacement for Forums and have officially presented it as such. Therefore, when discussing the removal of Forums with a user whose position on the matter is undetermined, I believe it makes most sense to consider Discussions the replacement for Forums; whether or not I think it is a good replacement.

I don't disagree that FANDOM staff considers Discussions a replacement for Forum, but they also have acknowledged that some wikis need something better than Discussions and for those wikis, Discussions isn't a replacement. Also, BluesDriver is clearly in the camp that is looking for features in a replacement that Discussions doesn't have, but Forum does. So for those admins and users, the removal of Forum with the offer to use Discussions which they have already said is insufficient is not a replacement.

Believing something makes the most sense without taking the perspective of those who disagree is like saying "it's okay for me, so it should be okay for you". This is not a compelling argument.

Loading editor
    • @Andrewds1021   They never said  openly  but from I infered if MrWoodhouse and other FANDOM communication is that that when they  talk about retiring "Forums" they talk about retiring "threaded entries"  in the Wiki Dabatabses  (  Comments & Tallk  enries that refer to a User & Message in the Header) ... At least that how I read the fact that they never really entioned Comments and Walls except in passing as getting rid uf the current "threaded" Entries to the Wiki database means retireing ALL festures using such "threaded records" ...  And,  if for some Wikis Forums and it replacement  represent a huge "cultural clash" in the UCP, , I believe they (FANDOM) underestimate the impact of retiring Comments and miving them to a  Discussion-like replacement as alluded by MrWooshouse blog entries since last October...  Maby U misread FANDOM intentions but so far NO ONE provided solid info that  its not exacly what FANDOM means when they keep including  "Forums   ( cand Wall/Comments) " in nmost of their comments....Also I was indeed referring to use of the DPLforum extenstion, at lleast un the transition from Forums to Discusssions until they find a solution tha satisfies most of everyne... IHowever I don't see  DPLForum of any help cor Comments otr Walls 

@Fandyllic  If Discussions where to offer a "special" "Page tag"  maybe separate from their current Tag system  so user can "subscribe" to certain "Page Tag" like if they were "following" and Article then I think  it would be then become a quasi-suitable replacement to in-page Comments especiallly if that "special tag" can be used to add a Template listing all "active" Discussions​ using that "tag"​​​​​​ and it could be as simple as  "PAGE:"+Page_Title. That would allow selection of all "PAGE:"+Page-Title "tagged" entries to be  displayes at the bottom of a Page. Then  from our Wiki perspective, DIcussions could even be an enhancement if they make it easir to Edit, & include thngs like emojis since alnost no one  uses wiki-text in their Comments and some gets very frustrated of the "reformatting" of theitr  Comments by the wiki-text processor....

And to both: Until any exempls are supplied eveyone is only "specualting" and infering according to their own bias, needs & experience ... But like French Critic Nicolas Boileau wrote "Enlightnment comes when ideas collide"  (."Du choc des idées jaillit la lumiere -Boileau )  

Loading editor
    • If that is indeed what you have heard/read, then I can understand where your view of the situation is coming from. However, I have participated in multiple discussions about the removal of threaded discussion features and what other staff have said is that Forum is being removed first with comments and message walls to follow at later dates once the respective replacements are ready. If you haven't done so already, I would suggest giving this thread a read.

Regarding subscribing to page tags, that is an integrating idea. Perhaps you should suggest that to them as a feature to add to Discussions. However, I doubt they will make a way to embed lists of Discussions threads at the bottom of articles. That would probably require them to make Discussions more closely integrated with MediaWiki; something which they have expressed little interest in (and in some cases even seem to be against).

Loading editor
    • @Andrewds1021 thanks for the reminder of the cited thread ... I did read it some time ago that's what pushed me to look into DPLforums which I now see as nothing more that  a Wiki use that underlined the need for "Forums" in the first place (;^)  ... Also I relaize that the  "cultural" shift from Forums to whatever the final Discussions willl ne is a BIG step/hurdle in FANDOM's future as demonstrated by the 4 months deferral that may be followed by further delay and since Comments & Wall will  (most  probably) be treated using the solutions found to move off Forums, I won't hold my breath for a FANDOM staff announcement on the migration of those features anytime soon ...  And my "concerns" just dropped from "HEAVY" to "LIGHT/we'll cross the Bridge when at the RIver's bed" ... Thanks for your valualble insights ...

P.S. The great thing is amongst this  I just found that our Wiki does have Caht enabled it is just that no one really used it untuil now ... (;^)   LIVE & LEARN , I guess ... 

Loading editor
    • For those following this: Comments are staying  as well as as Message Walls.. See: https://community.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:MisterWoodhouse/Unified_Community_Platform:_The_Vision,_Purpose,_and_Process

And: https://community.fandom.com/wiki/Thread:1809689  ( thanks to  @Fandyllic for sharing)

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.