FANDOM

• Hi,

What would happen to article talk pages if I switch my wiki to using article comments? Are they converted to comments, or are they just wiped? I'm thinking that comments may be better for my wiki as it's a rather small one and the talk pages are only used once in a blue moon. Thanks. AdamPlenty (talk) 04:20, February 4, 2020 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • Enabling comments should not impact talk pages at all. However, disabling comments will cause comments to become inaccessible. Even then, the content is preserved should comments ever be re-enabled. Note that the comments feature is slated to be removed from all wikis. The date at which FANDOM expects to start removing this feature from wikis should be announced in the coming weeks.

Loading editor
    • They each have different functions (in terms of usage)

Talk pages require signing the particular comment you made (although in cases where people forget to sign, an unsigned template is added)

Example of this: Logopedia

Comments display the users profile picture with a reply system for any users that want to reply, this format is most commonly found on film and television wikis as people like to discuss about favorite characters, films, shows, and other media.

Example of this: Disney Wiki

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Enabling comments should not impact talk pages at all. However, disabling comments will cause comments to become inaccessible. Even then, the content is preserved should comments ever be re-enabled. Note that the comments feature is slated to be removed from all wikis. The date at which FANDOM expects to start removing this feature from wikis should be announced in the coming weeks.

So article comments and talk pages co-exist? The Wiki features page says "This will replace talk pages on your wiki".

Also, I thought Fandom were working on a replacement feature?

Loading editor
    • It will replace talk pages in the sense that users will be directed to the comments section instead of talk pages. However, if they want, users can manually navigate to the talk pages and will still be able to edit them.

Yes, they are working on a replacement for comments. I wan't sure if you knew that or not so I thought I should mention it.

Loading editor
    • Jkline06 wrote:
      They each have different functions (in terms of usage)

Talk pages require signing the particular comment you made (although in cases where people forget to sign, an unsigned template is added)

Example of this: Logopedia

Comments display the users profile picture with a reply system for any users that want to reply, this format is most commonly found on film and television wikis as people like to discuss about favorite characters, films, shows, and other media.

Example of this: Disney Wiki

So comments can be used to discuss the subject as well as the article? That's interesting (maybe I'm too used to Wikipedia?). AdamPlenty (talk) 04:44, February 4, 2020 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • The two are different, as mentioned talk pages are signed with (well, signatures, of course), Comments are mainly found on the bottom and have a reply system, talk pages also have a reply system as shown with using : as the starting point and continuing down until the talk is over.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      It will replace talk pages in the sense that users will be directed to the comments section instead of talk pages. However, if they want, users can manually navigate to the talk pages and will still be able to edit them.

Yes, they are working on a replacement for comments. I wan't sure if you knew that or not so I thought I should mention it.

Is adding Talk: to the url the only way to access the talk page?

Loading editor
    • Even more confusion, appraently on this page, the namespace talk is placed in front (on the right contribution), however on the actual page where the articles detail is, it’s labeled as comment(s).

Loading editor
    • Jkline06 wrote:
      Even more confusion, appraently on this page, the namespace talk is placed in front (on the right contribution), however on the actual page where the articles detail is, it’s labeled as comment(s).

I just tried to go to the talk page of an article with a comment (Talk: appeared in the wiki activity), and apparently it doesn't exist.

Loading editor
    • Actually Talk is used as the namespace for both the eponymous messaging platform and comments, meaning the two are similar but are displayed in articles differently, Comments are typically found as a clickable button, while talk pages are accessed by clicking the arrow on the edit button.

Loading editor
    • As far as I am aware, once comments are enabled, yes; adding "Talk:" in front of the pagename in the URL is the only way to access the talk page.

As for this whole thing with Special:WikiActivity, that is a result of how the comments are stored. The comments features stores each comment as a subpage of the talk page. However, the talk page itself may or may not exist. The talk page will exist if a user created it. If not, then the talk page will not exist even if the subpages do exist.

This "confusing" storage system is one reason why FANDOM is getting rid of comments, message walls, and forum.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.