FANDOM

• Im not a new user of wikia, but I am integrating what I create a wiki from 0, so I made a template, but I would like to improve it, before having to change it 120 times, I did through image editing as I would like the template to remain, but I am so beginner I don't understand how to create a template well. For all that I am here asking for help to create it. Here is the example of the template.

5871f83b97fd2f911bd0d323556bec48
      Loading editor
    • Could you please provide a link to the template and an example page where it would be used?

Loading editor
    • Using w:c:myolet:Template:Character I have made these slight adjustments

• add valign=top for the statistic box so level with image
      • as image is on your wiki, it can be accessed direct as [[File:{{{Imagen}}}|230px|link=]]
        image set at 230px width so same height as statistic box
      • made Skills data colspan=3 to use full width
      • split header into 3 sections for thumbnails images - both set at 80px to maintain alignment
        moving background-color to accommodate this change
      • add closing |}

• icon = left icon 80px in header
      • portrait = right icon 80px in header
      • image = example: Thread_saw.png
      {|style="border: 1px solid brown; width: 400px;" cellspacing=0
      |- bgcolor={{{Color|}}}
      | width=80| [[File:{{{icon|}}}|80px|link=]]
      | colspan="6" style="text-align: center; color:#000000;"|<p style="font-size:20px">'''{{{Name|Name?}}}'''</p>
      <p style="text-align: center; color:#000000;"font-size:15px">''' {{{JapaneseName|Thread saw}}}'''</p>
      | width=80| [[File:{{{portrait|}}}|80px|link=]]
      |-
      | align=center colspan=4 | [[File:{{{Imagen|}}}|230px|link=]]
      | valign="top" colspan=4 |
      {| style="border: 0px solid darkgray; width: 350px;"
      |colspan="4" style="text-align: center; background-color: #FFD100;"|'''Statistic LV 1'''
      |-
      | style="width: 80px;"|Mobility
      | '''{{{Mobility|no data}}}'''
      | style="width: 80px;"|Work speed
      |'''{{{Work speed|no data}}}'''
      |-
      | style="width: 80px;"|Stamina
      | '''{{{Stamina|no data}}}'''
      | style="width: 80px;"|Resilience
      |'''{{{Resilience|no data}}}'''
      |-
      | style="width: 80px;"|Supervision
      | '''{{{Supervision|no data}}}'''
      | style="width: 80px;"|Temot Nº
      |'''{{{Temot Nº|no data}}}'''
      |-
      |colspan="4" style="text-align: center; background-color: #FFD100;"|'''Perfect convex'''
      |-
      | style="width: 80px;"|Mobility
      | '''{{{Mobility MAX|no data}}}'''
      | style="width: 80px;"|Work speed
      |'''{{{Work speed MAX|no data}}}'''
      |-
      | style="width: 80px;"|Stamina
      | '''{{{Stamina MAX|no data}}}'''
      | style="width: 80px;"|Resilience
      |'''{{{Resilience MAX|no data}}}'''
      |-
      | style="width: 80px;"|Supervision
      | '''{{{Supervision MAX|no data}}}'''
      | style="width: 80px;"|Temot Nº
      |'''{{{Temot Nº MAX|no data}}}'''
      |- 
      | colspan="4" style="text-align: center; background-color: LightSkyBlue;"|'''Skills'''
      |-
      | style="width: 100px;"|Pasive skill
      | colspan="3" | '''{{{Pasive skill|no data}}}'''
      |-
      | style="width: 100px;"|Active skill
      | colspan="3" | '''{{{Active skill 1|no data}}}'''
      |-
      | style="width: 100px;"|Active skill
      | colspan="3" | '''{{{Active skill 2|no data}}}'''
      |-
      | style="width: 100px;"|Building skill
      | colspan="3" | '''{{{Building skill|no data}}}'''
      |}
      |}

Loading editor
    • Thank TableWiz here the result, you are a hero.
      106b62d1206fa1e220bcde49d4d3d2bc
        Loading editor
    • I notice the wiki has 2 background images - Cell 1.png and Cell 2.png - to be used as background with text over the top

• the background is position: relative (it stays in the same position)
      • the text is position: absolute (it sits where instructed to be)
        • it position by distance from left and position from top

Cell_2.png

Welcome to the MyOLET Wiki!

{| width=176
      |
      <div style="position: relative;">
      https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/myolet/images/f/fe/Cell_2.png/revision/latest?cb=20200127090422

<span style="position: absolute; left:27px; top: 25px; font-size: large; line-height: 30px;">Welcome to the '''MyOLET Wiki!'''</span>
      </div>
      |}

Loading editor
    • Huh? Is there something wrong with that?

Loading editor
    • I would suggest next time you edit a page, you click "Mobile" under preview. That's what mobile viewers see. It's broken. Also take a look at Special:Analytics, and see how many people watch your broken content. And not just people - Google scrapes the mobile view now, not the desktop. If it can't find anything other than a data table, it doesn't count it as a page. If it thinks your wiki has no content pages, it's not going to show up high in search results. It will even get punished.

Your idea of an infobox isn't technically an infobox - it's more of a card. With what looks like a nested table and horizontal orientation. And aside from a table, there's no content on the page. This just rings all SEO and portability alarm bells. Maybe you're trying to emulate a certain esthetic from within the game, but I would suggest you try and explore the possibilities of a portable infobox.

Loading editor
    • Also, do not use the urls for images.

Loading editor
    • Unfortuantely, the data table versus portable infobox issue is something you can have depending on the topic of the wiki. This is especially true for card games. Portable infoboxes look good on mobile but a page with nothing but an portable infobox looks essentially empty on desktop.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Unfortuantely, the data table versus portable infobox issue is something you can have depending on the topic of the wiki. This is especially true for card games. Portable infoboxes look good on mobile but a page with nothing but an portable infobox looks essentially empty on desktop.

You probably can fake a thing or two with a PI with a couple of hotizontal groups. But that does not change that without content outside the table, you've got an empty page.

Just replicating the card can be a nice esthetic, but it doesn't actually teach anyone about the card.

Loading editor
    • Well, other than providing the information on the card, what else would there be to include? My understanding is that the idea of having card pages is so that users who don't have the cards can see what they look like. So being aesthetic is sort of the whole point. If users just want the stats, you could have a large table. However, such a table could be hard to navigate even on desktop and I am fairly certain would not be much "better" than the card pages as far as Google is concerned.

Loading editor
    • I'm no expert on the game (or any card game), but I would at least expect an explanation of the special powers. Just the table, you hit your SEO.

Loading editor
    • Not all card games have special power though. Some games, each card is literally just 2 or 3 numbers with a pretty picture.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.