FANDOM

• I am trying to add an iframe that pulls from a live Google Sheet. I know I have to set this up as a mediawiki page and add it as a Verbatim tag (at least that's what a search is telling me) but it tells me I don't have permission to edit MediaWiki pages. I'm the wiki owner.

help?

Loading editor
    • First off, there is no such thing as "wiki owner". You can be the bureaucrat or an admin, but Fandom owns wikis, not the users.

Also, if you want to add an iframe using a Google Sheet, you do not have to set this up as a MediaWiki page, but you can use the extension GoogleDocs4MW. You do not have to install it, and you can use the instructions as mentioned as use there. Fandom uses a slightly different version of that, but the code on Github doesn't have any instructions, so it might be easier to follow them on MediaWiki.

Loading editor
    • And two general maintenance notes:

• And the verbatim tag has been turned off since a couple of years.
      • Most Mediawiki messages can't be edited by regular users now, except those whitelisted. Though IIRC creation of custom ones should still work. Others can be edited by staff upon request.

Both of these actions were taken at the same time after a massive security issue.

Loading editor
    • Thank you!

Loading editor
    • Also, iframe tags cannot be added directly either.

This and the two things Tupka217 mentioned were done to improve security of Wikia's sites.

Loading editor
    • You could theoretically do this with Javascript, but I'm not sure that is allowed either.

Loading editor
    • They might allow the JS; TimeanddateClock got approved. But why put in the effort when there is already an extension?

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:
      And two general maintenance notes:
      • And the verbatim tag has been turned off since a couple of years.
      • Most Mediawiki messages can't be edited by regular users now, except those whitelisted. Though IIRC creation of custom ones should still work. Others can be edited by staff upon request.

Both of these actions were taken at the same time after a massive security issue.

"Both of these actions were taken at the same time after a massive security issue."

What massive security issue???

Loading editor
    • Essentially, someone used HTML to create an overlay of the log in area, and suckered several people into lohhinh in to that. Including one staffer. With the credentials of this staff account, the vandal then deleted a couple of big wikis and redirected others to My Little Pony and such.

Loading editor
    • Did some digging, here it is.

Loading editor
    • And the security followup here and Fandy's overview of affected wiki's here.

Loading editor
    • It must have taken quite a bit of digging to find it again. Thanks.

Loading editor
    • I just checked TimQ's contributions. He hasn't had many of late.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.