FANDOM

• I am seeing an edit war regarding an infobox section on a page and I am wondering if it's possible to independently lock the infobox while allowing the main text of the page to be editable?

Loading editor
    • Nope, though I've seen wikis set up an AbuseFilter to warn people of editing certain infobox fields.

Loading editor
    • you can do something similar, but it will be dirty solution: if you want to place uneditable infobox on the page a, then create subpage a/infobox, place filled infobox on the subpage, lock the subpage, transclude the subpage to the main page via {{:a/infobox}}

but it is better to not do such things. besides of hurting editor expereince, it's just a bad way to deal with your editors. it is better just ask them to not touch some infoboxes.

Loading editor
    • Also, it wouldn't stop editors from just replacing the abnormal template call with normal one.

Loading editor
    • I did ask, the request was ignored, so my only recourse was to lock the entire page temporarily and obviously, that is just as inconvenient to editing.
      To be honest, I think when an Admin (me!) sends a personal message to cease an edit war, you'd think that would be enough to get it to stop, but in this specific case, it was not, unfortunately.

Loading editor
    • If the involved users have been asked to stop, you could consider temporary bans. Well, assuming the involved users are not also admins.

Loading editor
    • The involved user is not an admin, but as soon as the page lock expired, they didn't hesitate to remove the information I had specifically requested they leave alone.
      This time I was firmer, gave them a one week editing block, reminded them not to do it again and specified that if they did, the next few blocks would get progressively longer.

But at what point do I decide I've given them enough latitude and just block them permanently?
      At the moment, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because they may not comprehend written English, but not 100% certain of that.

And I locked the page again, if this keeps up, nobody will ever be allowed to edit it, just due to the actions of one irresponsible user and I don't think that's fair on anyone/everyone else who have honest intentions when editing that particular page.

Loading editor
    • Buckmana wrote:
      But at what point do I decide I've given them enough latitude and just block them permanently?

I would've done so already. If they're blocked for something, this has been explained already, and they come back doing the exact same thing, they're out. You can go dor a year long block if you want to give the appearance of not being strict. Once a block expires, as far as I'm concerned, they're still on parole. This is breaking parole. No further warnings.

Loading editor
    • I agree with Tupka217 in that, based on your side of the story, it seems you have already given them enough latitude. At this point, the duration of the blocks are entirely up to your decision.

Edit:

Technically the duration was always up to your decision but it seems they would be hard pressed to make a case that you are being unfair at this point.

Loading editor
    • The last time, I didn't block them, I just politely asked if they would cease and they did not, hence the block this time.

My basic plan is to give them two more chances, breaking each of those will result in a block of 1 month and 6 months respectively, if they don't take the hint after the 6 month block, I'll just block them permanently and be done with it.

Unfortunately, there are those who believe any administration discipline is unfair, because they hate being forced to follow rules.
      And they'll fight to keep breaking the rules, because they don't believe in them being enforced.

Loading editor
    • You're being too kind. He knows what's expected. He doesn't do it.

Loading editor
    • Sounds like a plan. If you are happy with it, then just go ahead and do it.

Loading editor
    • Sorry to revive this topic, but it got so much more unpleasant that I ever could have anticipated, so therefore, I would like some more feedback.

A vandal showed up on the wikia and posted some extremely hateful material based on the edit war, denigrating the fact. I've checked this fact five times now and am convinced it's authentic, so if other users haven't noticed it, they're either pretending not to or are mistaken about what they hear (it's a soundbite from an episode).

Given that the hate contributions involve YouTube, they must be really taking it personally to break the terms of service of two complete websites to pursue their agenda of resentment.

Anyone got any opinions or perspective to share?

Loading editor
    • If you believe someone breaks the Terms of Use, use this form to contact Staff directly. You can also ask VSTF to help you out with cleanup.

Loading editor
    • I did report this user to Fandom Staff, but the vandal/online cyberbully/harrasser created a sock puppet account and reposted their offensive YouTube video.

I reported them to Fandom Staff for the second time.
      They keep threatening me with that action, but how likely is it that this user's reports (if they're making them at all) will be taken seriously by Fandom's staff?

Anyway, given that they keep posting their hateful comment in the comments section of the concerned page, is there a way to protect the comments section or disable it so this section will be free of vandalism? I'm not intending for a permanent protection, just long enough to keep the page controversy free until the issue can be resolved.

And is there a way to stop them posting their inciteful YouTube video on the wikia?
      I've reported that video to YouTube staff, but they're not being as swift as I had expected in removing the video.

Loading editor
    • You can turn off comments altogether.

You can set up AbuseFilter to not allow linking to YouTube. (AbuseFilter is not very admin-friendly though).

For the rest... fighting vandals is a war of attrition. You can ask Staff and VSTF for additional tools, but for the most part, it's block, revert and ignore.

Loading editor
    • Is there a way to block a specific username from being registered?
      So far, this vandal has used the middle name I supplied in both their registered accounts, so I figure if I block that from being used, it might slow them down a little, unless they start getting creative with l33t codes or putting punctuation in to break up the name.

I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to use AbuseFilter now.
      It's a shame that other users are going to feel the effects of this, since they've linked to YouTube with honest motivations.

And I'm thinking I may need those extra tools soon, if it keeps going like this.
      How do I request them?
      Also, what do they do that my currently accessible admin tools do not?

Loading editor
    • Staff won't give out extra tools other than Abuse Filter. Maybe they have a way to blacklist username elements; anti-spoofing should take care of the "l33t variants".

Loading editor
    • @Tupka217, investigated the AbuseFilter installation.
      As you correctly surmised, my brain is experiencing a mental shutdown now, it's not as easy as I'd hoped.

I assume Wikia staff can do this for me.
      How do I request they add this file to the wikia?

Please tell me configuring it after it's been added is easier.

Loading editor
    • There's an Abuse Filter help channel in the official Discord.

AbuseFilter is really useful. It's also a real disappointment if you want to create a quick filter and don't have much coding knowledge.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, coding is not my strong suit.
      I'm fairly good at wikia coding, but non-basic HTML is a bit beyond me.

Loading editor
    • From what I have personally seen, the anti-spoof for usernames is very lax. I would not count on that for anything.

Does the user keep uploading the same YouTube video? If so, you could just add that specific video to the wiki's blacklist.

Loading editor
    • @Andrewds1021, yes, it's always the same video.

Is that function simple to access?

As in, I can just do it locally on the wikia with generic Admin functions.

Loading editor
    • Oops, wasn’t logged in, but the above comment is from me.

Loading editor
    • Yes, it is.

Loading editor
    • Where can I find this function?
      What is it called?

Loading editor
    • You can read the use instructions here.

Loading editor
    • "Download and place the file(s) in a directory called TitleBlacklist in your extensions/ folder. Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:"

That's what I tried with the AbuseFilter installation, it did not work.
      I kept getting an error message in Terminal about a file it could not find.

Loading editor
    • Those are the installation instructions and they are intended for server owners (which we users are not). The extension is already installed and enabled. You should be able to just follow the usage instructions further down on the page.

Loading editor
    • If you don't know what exactly to do with TitleBlacklist, just check out some big wikis and whether they have it.

Loading editor
    • I'm looking into it now, trying to figure out which code to copy+paste into the wikia Blacklist and how to tailor it to a YouTube video url..

Also, the vandal uses a predictable name for registering their SockPuppet account, so as an extra layer of protection, I am wondering if I could use this page to block anyone who tries to register or use an account with that name.

Loading editor
    • The TitleBlacklist would only block them from making their userpage.

Loading editor
    • Couldn't find any big wikias with an active BlackList page.
      Anyone got any samples to share?

I'm not sure if I was interpreting it properly, but I think I saw a section relating to account creation and how to exclude certain names, the example given on the page is blocking registering of accounts named $2.

Loading editor
    • [WHATEVER].fandom.com/wiki/MediaWiki:Titleblacklist

Just try some big wikis.

Loading editor
    • As Tupka217 already said, it will just prevent the creation of their user page. MediaWiki extension documentation is written assuming that each wiki stands completely on its own and that the reader is the server owner (or someone else with equivalent permissions). Since FANDOM has a global user database, local user registration restrictions do nothing.

Loading editor
    • I applied the code samples as I understood them, just in case.
      Given the severity of this situation, any precaution is worth trying.

@Tupka217 finding a big wikia that had actually edited their blacklist page was an interesting challenge, none of the really big ones had done it and since they are run by commercial organisations who you'd think were a popular target, I expected them to have intensively edited that page.

I did find one in the end though, I guess they were targeted enough to have to edit that page extensively.

Loading editor
    • They are not run by "commercial organizations". The big wikis are run by volunteers same as the small ones.

Loading editor
    • @Tupka217, I was mostly basing that opinion on Pixar's wikia, I think some of Pixar's employees are actually moderating their official wikia.

Loading editor
    • Even if a wiki is "official", that doesn't mean employees of the topic company are running it. Even if they were/are, I am pretty sure the wiki does not benefit from any special "official-wikis-only" features.

Loading editor
    • Sorry to say, this situation is completely out of control now.
      The vandal got around the block for a third time just to keep inciting hate and conflict based on the edit, which I should point out, has been removed by now because a polite user made their case respectfully as to why it isn't correct.

You'd think that would be enough to end this dispute quietly, but apparently it was not.

Since the targeted hate campaign involved posting a YouTube video that was not visible due to being marked as private, but most likely offensive/harrassment, how do I go about requesting the installation of AbuseFilter to deny all YouTube linking?

Loading editor
    • If you ask staff or VSTF for an IP check, you might be able to implement an IP range block. This, in theory, would block the user based on the network they are using. If successful, you would be able to leave video uploading in its current unrestricted state.

Loading editor
    • For a temporary measure, I'm testing Blacklist's ability to block YouTube videos.
      Since I've never used it before, I'm waiting to see if it can stop any of the aggressive vandalism occurring.
      Whether or not that change is permanent depends on if a long term solution can be found.

I've reopened the report with Fandom staff regarding this particular vandal, hopefully they are looking into something like what you described above @Andrewsd2101.
      Another member of the community said the IP block needs to be expanded to /16, given that it's been unsucessful at least twice, whatever that means.
      I think they meant expanding the range of IP addresses blocked to inhibit whatever method is being used to circumvent the security measures.

Loading editor
    • They are not likely to perform an IP check unless you explicitly ask for one. Is the user already IP range blocked? Who set that range block? It is generally not a good idea to blindly set range blocks; that is why I suggested the IP check. /16 is way to large even if the vandal is using IPv4.

Loading editor
    • Another user posted some genuine YouTube videos, so I'm guessing Blacklist can't stop that activity after all.

Fandom staff set the initial two blocks, I set the third.
      Still waiting for a response to the latest incident.

Loading editor
    • Buck, you should also consider asking for a Wiki Manager for your wiki. Elena of Avalor is large/popular enough to warrant one. They can help with a lot of your coding issues (if not personally, they will have direct access to those who can) and is a more direct method to reach Staff's ears than even the forums (still useful for other issues).

Content created on Youtube, however, is a different pickle. YT customer service can be a rooster's tooth to pull…

I know it can be a pain to have to deal with troublesome users, and while auto filters and other like solutions is nice—and I may be in a minority here—but there is also something cathartic about whack-a-mole blocking… especially when done Block, Revert, Ignore.

Loading editor
    • @Love Robin, thank you for suggesting this.
      I've filed a request for a Community Manager for Elena of Avalor.

Still waiting for an Abuse Filter to be supplied.
      For now, the incident seems to have been forgotten, but in case something like this ever happens again, I think it would be prudent to have the tool in place rather then desperately trying to get it installed while vandalism is actively in progress.

Just me being CrazyPrepared, I'd rather have it and not need to use it, then need it and not have it.

Loading editor
    • If this is for the Elena of Avalor wiki, I would imaging FANDOM would definitely be willing to provide a wiki manager. FANDOM seems pretty vigilant about protecting "for kids" wikis.

Loading editor
    • @Andrewsd1021, yes it is for the Elena of Avalor wikia.

Sofia the First had a even worse vandalism just before this one, so maybe they both need a wiki manager.
      Wondering if that was just a co-incedince, since these shows are connected via canon lore.
      Or if someone had targeted them both due to that connection.

That did happen in the past, a vandal was blocked on Elena of Avalor and immediately jumped to Sofia the First to continue their vandalism until they blocked were there as well.

Loading editor
    • AS the two shows are in the same universe, mention Sofia 1 when asking for a WM, hopefully the same for both.

Loading editor
    • @Love Robin, thank you for the input.
      I've amended the request to mention Sofia's wikia as well.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.