FANDOM

• Here are the release notes for Fandom's code release scheduled for December 4, 2019:

• NOTABLE: We will be removing the Android Community Apps from the Google Play store next week, following the removal of the iOS apps earlier this year. We strongly recommend switching to the Fandom app if you haven't already!
    • NOTABLE: We will permanently redirect anonymous users from file pages (those ending in /wiki/File:) to the first article page where a file was used, to improve Fandom's valuation by search engines like Google. Those users can still find important file information such as its description, licensing and source in the image lightbox. This change does not affect logged-in users. For more context on this change, please see this forum thread.
    • FIXED: When a wiki has Special:Forum enabled, it is now possible for wiki-style forums to be used at the same time (after a request to remove the archived status).
    • FIXED: When globally blocked, the displayed "intended blockee" field is no longer empty in some situations.

Note: we currently have fewer user-facing updates to Fandom's current platform, because some development resources have shifted over to work on Fandom's updated software platform.

Loading editor
    • What's the "first article"? Is that the first article on the list (thus, the oldest), or the page on which it was added first? Or is it the most popular? And just so you can practice your "no": can admins (realistically/practically) influence what the target page is?

Loading editor
    • The page where it was added first, chronologically speaking. And no, that's automatically determined. (Hope that was a decent "no".)

Loading editor
    • Pcj

If that page is deleted does it (presumably) go to the next page in the list?

Loading editor
    • Exactly, that's what should happen in those cases.

Loading editor
    • If a file is unused, do anons get bounced to a random page or does the file display like normal?

Loading editor
    • I thought Special:Forum and wiki-style forums could already be simultaneously enabled. Was that not the case?

Since I have never seen it, where would one come across this "intended blockee" field?

I have some questions about the file page redirects but I'll ask on the separate thread.

Loading editor
    • Ursuul wrote: If a file is unused, do anons get bounced to a random page or does the file display like normal?

It redirects to the main page with ?file={pagename} in the URL so the file is displayed in a lightbox.

Loading editor
    • Thanks!

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: I thought Special:Forum and wiki-style forums could already be simultaneously enabled. Was that not the case?

It actually wasn't possible to un-archive DPL forums while Special:Forum is active. If it was never archived, then they could run simultaneously, but if you had one archived, the other enabled, and didn't want to disable Special:Forum, there was a barrier in the backend to just bringing back the DPL Forums. We've not had anyone ask for this in so long that our team was actually unaware about this issue, until recently. Luckily , it's now fixed.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Since I have never seen it, where would one come across this "intended blockee" field?

It's on the notice you'd see when globally blocked. (For example, see the screenshot on this support page)

Loading editor
    • I've been having an issue with page loading for at least a week or two (pages are randomly not loaded). Is this something y'all are aware of?
      Loading Errors
        Loading editor
    • I am not aware of any widespread issues around that. Please do consider a Special:Contact ticket if this continues!

Loading editor
    • IS it not loading up when your trying to edit ?

Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote: I've been having an issue with page loading for at least a week or two (pages are randomly not loaded). Is this something y'all are aware of?

net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET is usually an issue with your side of things, not Fandom's side. Try opening the page on another browser, or check online for other solutions.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz wrote:

DEmersonJMFM wrote: I've been having an issue with page loading for at least a week or two (pages are randomly not loaded). Is this something y'all are aware of?

net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET is usually an issue with your side of things, not Fandom's side. Try opening the page on another browser, or check online for other solutions.

This is true. It happened to me a few months ago. In my case, it was something with the computer as the issue occurred across browsers. However, it did not occur on other devices even if they were on the same network as the affected device. I never figured out what the issue was but it went away on its own eventually.

Loading editor
    • Ah, nice to see a bug I reported fixed.

Will wiki-style forums still be usable after regular forums are retired?

Loading editor
    • As has been stated in previous conversations, wiki-style forums are not going to be removed.

Loading editor
    • ...but they still mostly suck.

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:

Here are the release notes for Fandom's code release scheduled for December 4, 2019:

• NOTABLE: We will permanently redirect anonymous users from file pages (those ending in /wiki/File:) to the first article page where a file was used, to improve Fandom's valuation by search engines like Google. Those users can still find important file information such as its description, licensing and source in the image lightbox. This change does not affect logged-in users. For more context on this change, please see this forum thread.

As I mentioned in the related forum thread, this behavior likely violates the licenses of many images on FANDOM... at least the ones that aren't using the Fair Use justification (which is admittedly probably 95%+).

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.