FANDOM

• I would like some help on coding things into my sidebar as templates in my own wiki. How do I include the following:

Most Visited Articles Most Visited Categories Most Voted Articles Most Voted Categories Most Popular Articles Most Popular Categories

And how do I include a clock in JavaScript formatting that has a working time and date cycle without having to reload the page using the default timestamp format.

If anyone knows how to do these, please get in touch on my own Talk Page on Community Central Wiki or via my own Talk Page on Warren Woodhouse Wiki.

These codes I'm requesting help with is needed for implementing into my own sidebar on my own wiki. You can find the sidebar by CLICKING HERE.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to any replies on this post.

Loading editor
    • Regarding the lists, do you have a wiki you have seen do this? As far as I am aware, it is not possible to retrieve which categories are most visited/popular and whatnot. Yes, there are special pages that do stuff like that but they are using data that, as far as I know, is not accessible to us as users.

What do you mean by "JavaScript formatting"? Do you mean inserted using JavaScript? There are a few solutions already available on the dev wiki; perhaps one will be suitable for your purposes. In no particular order:

Loading editor
    • Cheers. Yeah I meant a JavaScript Clock. Although, I was looking on implementing a clock directly from timedate.com though that’s not possible right now and so I was looking for an alternative solution.

I didn’t know that the popular pages and popular posts sidebar stuff is non-accessible code. It’s just I’ve seen it on Fallout Wiki, Community Central Wiki and various other wikis in the sidebar section on some pages and was looking for a way to add it to every page in the sidebar rather than just a few pages. I suppose I could bring this up at the next online meeting where developers talk about what needs to be improved on the wiki.

Loading editor
    • Is this the feature you meant? I can't find an website at the URL you provided. If that is what you want, you can try to do it using JS. As such, staff may or may not approve it. There is no harm in trying though. Worst case is that they reject your JS and you have to use one of the alternatives I already listed.

Could you link to such a page on the Fallout Wiki? You mentioned a few things that aren't standard (ex. popular categories) so it is possible that they have figured out a way to do it. If they have, I could help you track down what they are using. If, on the other hand, it is just the standard features, then talking to the developers would be the right way to go.

Loading editor
    • I believe it might be standard features. I'll track it down but I'm pretty sure I saw Popular Posts, Popular Articles and Popular Categories via the portal pages like a Community-corner page, in this case on the Fallout Wiki in the desktop version of the site, Popular Pages is listed in the sidebar in the About page at https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki:About?useskin=oasis. Is there anyway to showcase popular pages, popular articles and popular categories using maybe possibly a sort of deprecated code that the system might still be able to read from? Or even to recreate it in a template?

As far as clocks go, yes that's the page I was on about and I did consult with the developers of TimeDate already to discuss if its possible and they said it is as long as the code is correctly added. For some reason I couldn't get it to work on my wiki probably due to a setting I can't access (might have to ask through FANDOM Support email).

Loading editor
    • The Popular Pages module is a standard feature which is displayed on certain pages. I am not aware of any way to force it to appear on pages. As for Popular Posts and Popular Categories, could you link to an example? I have never seen these before. It is possible they are using the AddRailModule script either DPL or the forum tag from wiki-style forums.

As for the clock, it is an "issue" with MediaWiki (not just FANDOM). For security reasons, the default settings of MediaWiki allow only certain HTML tags to be directly included in page content. For the clock to work, you need to insert an iframe tag. However, that tag is not permitted. If you want to include a clock from that website, you will need to use a placeholder in the page content and then have a JS script replace the placeholder with the iframe tag.

Loading editor
    • How do I go about adding a placeholder and script?

<placeholder>example</placeholder>

So you’re saying it’s still possible to implement it even though the ifrane code is now deprecated, as I’ve noticed when I first started my wiki and I tried to include my Google My Maps custom maps which uses ifranes with no luck. Then a staff member suggested that I just add a link to the map rather than embedding it.

Loading editor
    • Here’s an example of code for a scrollbar for my wiki, you need to add this in MediaWiki:Wikia.css then purge the page for it to work!:

####### SCROLLBAR ####### <!-- DO NOT REMOVE THESE HIDDEN LINES DURING EDITING OR DURING IMPLEMENTION INTO YOUR OWN WIKI --> <!-- ATTRIBUTION: By Warren Woodhouse at www.warrenwoodhouse.fandom.com --> <!-- DESCRIPTION: Get more codes from warrenwoodhouse.fandom.com/wiki/Codes --> <!-- LICENSE: warrenwoodhouse.fandom.com/wiki/Terms#WL --> ::-webkit-scrollbar-track { -webkit-box-shadow: insert 0 0 6px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3); border: 1px; background-color: #F5F5F5; } ::-webkit-scrollbar { width: 12px; background-color: #F5F5F5; } ::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { background-color: #FF0000; border-radius: 10px; } ::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb:hover { background-color: #CD0000; }

Loading editor
      1. After my post yesterday, I actually started work on the script for this. I am currently awaiting feedback from the dev wiki since I want to post it there. The reason is that doing so will make it easier for you (and others) to import it to your wiki. Once I incorporate the feedback, I will submit it for approval. Once it receives approval, it should be available for easy import to any FANDOM wiki. However, if you don't want to wait, you could just copy-paste the current version to your wiki. Does your wiki have custom JS enabled? Do you know how to use it?
      2. iframe is not deprecated. It is still a perfectly valid HTML tag. It is just that MediaWiki has decided to not allow users to directly place it in page content.
      3. If you need to embed Google maps, have you tried the Maps extension?
      4. I am not sure how your scrollbar CSS is relevant to this discussion. Could you explain?
        Loading editor
    • Okay, the documentation isn't complete yet but there is a working version up on the dev wiki now. Go here and follow the instructions in the "Installation" section. The "Configuration" and "Usage" sections are not complete yet but the "Example" section should be good enough to give you an idea of what to do. If not, you can ask for more help using this thread.

Loading editor
    • Gladly, I'll explain. Scrollbar Code is custom css. I do have CustomJS enabled and tried to include a Google Maps map on my own wiki articles with no success. If the iframe code works on mobile pages, I'll try and take the steps you've provided.

I'm using AddRailModule and found that its actually easier to install sidebar features than directly through the MediaWiki Rail module panel which doesn't always get approved. Was annoying me to the point that I had to find an alternative. Praise the person who created the AddRailModule! :D

As for the scrollbar code above, I was providing the placeholder tag/nowiki tag so you can include the code in your reply.

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/embed?mid=1yyWU7jFW3L7DVjDgZlFuHDTrtCY" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

This embed code I've included above is a map of all of the locations from the Assassin's Creed franchise. I've created the map using Google My Maps.

I'll have a look tomorrow on the page you've created.

Loading editor
      1. Custom CSS/JS is not applied to mobile. So if you are trying to change the appearance of something on mobile, don't bother.
      2. When you tried the map, was that using the iframe Google gave you or the MediaWiki extension. If it has any chance of working, it needs to be done with the extension.
      3. I see. Unfortunately, it isn't reasonable for someone to anticipate what each wiki will want and create a sidebar feature each thing. That is why AddRailModule exists.
      4. So the CSS was just to provide tags for me to copy?
        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.