FANDOM

• So by now we all know that Discussions is coming and if you are apart of a community that attracts a young crowd you know that a headache in management is ahead. Especially since they will be coming mainly by app which characterizes FANDOM as a place where "to get into the know".

I personally do not feel that FANDOM is ready. I think discussion mods need more tools (better way to search through posts, an individuals or collective; hold for moderation option; expansion on Insights). Where is the expansion of privacy settings? Where does being a wiki end and being another social media site begin? Are they hiring people to oversee these discussions or will they continue to rely on volunteer work? Not everyone who wants to participate as an admin wants to deal with discussions (see JoJo community).

FANDOM app description (Nov 28, 2019, Android):

All the stories that matter about the shows, movies, and games you care about.

Whether you’re someone who’s into everything entertainment or someone who wants to keep up with the latest on just The Walking Dead, Destiny 2 or Star Wars, the FANDOM app makes it quick and easy to be in the know. Get all the info you care about in one place with customized fan feeds; news, stories, videos and social conversations, all selected by FANDOM, the fan-powered pop culture source.

Loading editor
    • Discussions has been here for some time already. It works fine for what it's designed for.

There is a Global Moderator program to help local admins out.

Loading editor
    • What exactly was its intended purpose because the teeny bobbers I mod are hell bent on making it their facebook/reddit weeb edition? (The occasional few, their diaries.)

Loading editor
    • Its intended purpose was to allow for a discussion forum that worked well on mobile. And it does. And it has brought in many new users, plenty of whom are not aware it's tied to a wiki. And it can be a handful, but it's brought us several good new editors.

Loading editor
    • As Tupka217 said, the primary goal has been met. The Wikia team is well aware of the shortcomings of Discussions and has fixed some of the low-hanging fruit. However, it appears they have chosen to postpone further significant updates until after the UCP project is complete. To my knowledge, it is not intended to be a SNS so we are not likely to see any privacy settings even after the UCP is complete.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.