FANDOM

• Hello! I am curious as to how I can set thumbnails for wiki pages. These thumbnails appear on category pages, in the popular articles sidebar, etc. Is it possible to set a thumbnail for a page? If so, how? Thanks!

Loading editor
    • No, that's not possible. See this old blog.

Loading editor
    • No, the first picture on the page that fits a certain criteria will be the thumbnail

Loading editor
    • Bubblesplosion wrote: No, the first picture on the page will be the thumbnail

Incorrect. See the blog I linked:

Kirkburn wrote:

The image chosen is generally the first image on the page that satisfies these criteria:

• Larger than 130px by 115px for use on category pages, larger than 200px by 100px for the related pages module. Note: the size on the 'File:' page is what counts, not how it displays on the page.
      • Used 10 times or fewer in content namespaces on the wiki
      • One of the first 50 used on the page
      • Not an SVG
        Loading editor
    • But bruh I edited it, why you say that

Loading editor
    • Because you didn't say it, and if you edited it, it was after I started my reply to you.

Loading editor
    • The person would've seen the edit so whatever....

Loading editor
    • At the point I replied, your answer was incorrect. Incorrect answers happen too often, so it's important to take away confusion.

Loading editor
    • You're totally right

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:

Bubblesplosion wrote: No, the first picture on the page will be the thumbnail

Incorrect. See the blog I linked:

Kirkburn wrote:

The image chosen is generally the first image on the page that satisfies these criteria:

• Larger than 130px by 115px for use on category pages, larger than 200px by 100px for the related pages module. Note: the size on the 'File:' page is what counts, not how it displays on the page.
      • Used 10 times or fewer in content namespaces on the wiki
      • One of the first 50 used on the page
      • Not an SVG

Alright, thanks for letting me know! I'm trying to creating a thumbnail for redirect pages in my category, and this helps out.

Loading editor
    • Redirects generally don’t need to have categories (with a few exceptions). I think the redirect also overrides all page content other than cats, so it probably won’t help.

Loading editor
    • It is correct that the REDIRECT command will overwrite/hide all the content on the page. It is recommended that the page's content be blanked, but some like to use it as "hidden content" in the possible event the redirect command might get removed.

And Categories should not be used on Redirect pages except as mentioned, in very rare exceptions (basically, leave to Staff to do if it needs doing).

Now, don't confuse REDIRECTS with DISAMBIGUATION pages. A different animal which also has a few standard practices of minimalism, but exceptions are less rare.

Loading editor
    • As an example of categorized redirects: I’ve categorized all pagenames that are real names. Including redirects. Mostly because I like long lists of alphabetized names. Similarly, if you’ve got a list of items and categories only apply to some of the items.

Loading editor
    • Another good use of categorizing redirects is for misspellings. Often redirects are used to redirect to the correctly spelled version of the page, so you can track the misspelling redirects with categories.

Loading editor
    • I don't know. I am kind of curious to find out if you can have a category thumbnail for redirect pages. I suppose it depends on which version of the page gets searched for the image selection process.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: I don't know. I am kind of curious to find out if you can have a category thumbnail for redirect pages. I suppose it depends on which version of the page gets searched for the image selection process.

Same. Tried it out on one of my wikis, I reckon it'll take a while to update. I doubt it'll stick.

Loading editor
    • I think it's safe to say it doesn't work. Also just now realized Category Exhibition ignores DEFAULTSORT.

Loading editor
    • Ahh... too bad.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.