FANDOM

• Hi,

I am just starting, right now. Is there a way to work on it a bit before making it easy to discover?

https://unofficial-lnf-wiki.fandom.com/wiki/Unofficial_Love_Not_Found_Wiki

Monotropan

Loading editor
    • Nope. But generally, there are so many wikis out there the chances of someone stumbling across yours are small.

Loading editor
    • Thanks. There are none with the topic of my wiki as far as I know. I guess I'll see after 24 hours if the wiki appears when I search for the comic.

Other sites, like wordpress or medium have a "publish" feature or "go live" feature. That would be great. If I put a "Under construction" notice on the first page, and if the wiki shows up in web searches, people might learn to ignore that search result.

Yeesh. I wish I had known this before starting.

Loading editor
    • If you want a private wiki, use ShoutWiki. Note, however, that it appears ShoutWiki does not support HTTPS; only HTTP.

Assembling and maintaining a web site farm costs a lot of money and requires a decent amount of labor. Sites like Wikipedia and Miraheze (another option for private wikis) rely on donations and volunteers. That is great in that they can be offered for free but it also means support can be spotty. Farms with actual employees have to endure a certain amount of revenue. There are 3 general types of business models to accomplish this.

1. Make viewers pay for accounts to view the information
        While this is an option, you have to make sure content is what viewers actually want. You can't ensure that if you allow just anyone to be a creator and/or allow creators to do whatever they want. That is probably why most/all farms that allow the general public to create sites don't use this model. It is typically used by large media groups who actually hire writers to create the content.
      2. Make site creators pay to create sites
        This is what a fair amount of farms do. You mentioned WordPress and Medium. I will also through in Wix, Squarespace, and GoDaddy as examples. It is true that these types of farms typically offer a "free" option. However, the free option does not come with full service. It is kind of like in-app purchases.
      3. Insert advertisements and collect ad revenue
        This is the model that Wikia (FANDOM, Gamepedia, wikia.org) and ShoutWiki use. With this model, private-viewing wikis are not very valuable as the viewership, and thus revenue, is likely to be low.

That being said, I don't understand why ShoutWiki would allow private wikis. Whatever their reason, they are the only farm I could find that allows private wikis but does not charge for hosting, provides professional support, and does not have tiers.

Loading editor
    • hello u cannot make private wikis here on fandom However it wouldnt get the wiki any members and there would be no point of doing that fandom wants  for users to be able to Edit most of the pages on a wiki community if you would to protect every page on a wiki that would go aginest the TOU if there is a user u think is breaking a wiki rule its best to just block them if that doesnt work you can also Request abuse filter wich really helps slow down vandalism 

Loading editor
    • I just mean to make changes not show up until they are ready to be posted. I don't mean leave it private forever.

Loading editor
    • there is no way to do that most of the contents are etc here at fandom can only be protected so only admin and content moderators can edit it However making it private would not be needed 

Loading editor
    • Monotropan wrote: I just mean to make changes not show up until they are ready to be posted. I don't mean leave it private forever.

If the host leaves it to the creator when to "publish" the information, what guarantee is there that it will get published? You could decide to just create a bunch of pages and never publish them.

Loading editor
    • if u wanna use something were you can save stuff as drafts and set to automatically publish later wordpress would be a good place to make a website that can save as draft and publish later

Loading editor
    • I'm asking about this site, not wordpress. Thanks. I see there isn't a way.

Loading editor
    • correct lol but i was just saying wordpress does allow users to save blogs and pages as draft and post later 

Loading editor
    • Right, that wouldn't help me delay posting changes to my fandom wiki.

Loading editor
    • no it wont 

Loading editor
    • can u stop

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.