FANDOM

• Views06 and Chase McFly are saying that copying images from other wikis, edit wars and sock puppets violate ToU. But do these things really violate ToU, or said users might have not read the ToU correctly.

Loading editor
    • Sockpuppeting is a Terms of Use violation.

Edit warring can be considered vandalism, but that’s up to local admins. If you find yourself in an edit war, take the discussion to the talk page. Diffuse the situation.

Images, especially screenshots, are not (or, rarely) “owned” by the wiki that has them first. Fair Use applies. While it is polite to credit the other wiki, they can’t claim any ownership. Screencapper credit is not required. But again, it’s polite.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: Sockpuppeting is a Terms of Use violation.

Just to clarify, the ToU don't explicitly mention sockpuppeting. However, they do have these two bullet points:

User Conduct

You further agree:

• Not to forge headers, or manipulate source identifiers or otherwise attempt to disguise the origin of any content made available via the Service;

You will not:

• bypass any measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Site, including robot exclusion headers.

Here is the definition of a sockpuppet according to Wikipedia:

A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception. The term, a reference to the manipulation of a simple hand puppet made from a sock, originally referred to a false identity assumed by a member of an Internet community who spoke to, or about, themselves while pretending to be another person.

The term now includes other misleading uses of online identities, such as those created to praise, defend or support a person or organization, to manipulate public opinion, or to circumvent a suspension or ban from a website. A significant difference between the use of a pseudonym and the creation of a sockpuppet is that the sockpuppet poses as an independent third-party unaffiliated with the main account operator. Sockpuppets are unwelcome in many online communities and forums.

So one can reasonably argue that, by definition, sockpuppetting violates the ToU. To be clear though, this does not mean users cannot have multiple accounts. The key aspect here is the purpose of the alternate account.

Loading editor
    • SirBenelux
      SirBenelux removed this reply because:
      andrewds beat me to it
      18:20, November 3, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • sockpuppet is not a violation in cases if u want 2 rename ur account again after u already renamed it

Loading editor
    • F039A6C4 wrote:
      sockpuppet is not a violation in cases if u want 2 rename ur account again after u already renamed it

I deleted my message

Loading editor
    • okay. what does this have 2 do with my message

Loading editor
    • F039A6C4 wrote:
      okay. what does this have 2 do with my message

nothin'

Loading editor
    • then why quote it

Loading editor
    • Please guys, don't derail this discussion.

SirBenelux, did we answer your questions sufficiently or are there still things you want to know?

Loading editor
    • Also in the ToU which applies to sockpuppeting:

You agree not to use the Service to:
      Attempt to impersonate another user or person;

Unless otherwise declared, users are expected to be unique, so having another user that you try to represent as a different person is impersonation.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.