FANDOM

• I've just started a wiki and can't figure of how to make a category. (I think this is the right area to ask this?)

Loading editor
    • Have you read Help:Category?

Loading editor
    • Yes. But it makes no sense to me. I've tried what it says

Loading editor
    • At which stage do you go wrong? Adding the category to a page? Creating the category page? We can't steer you in the right direction unless you're more specific.

Loading editor
    • first you need to make a page, after you've made it scroll down and there should be a field called "Categories", add the categories you want the page to be in and it's done (this doesn't work for making categories you don't want the page to be in though)

Loading editor
    • Creating the category. 

Loading editor
    • To do this, start a new page — called Category:Name — in any of our editors. Add a sentence or two which explains what the category is about. Then add the page to another category that has already been created.

Name would be replaced by the title of the category you are creating.

Is that understood?

Loading editor
    • /: er... Yes. (I only read have of the article... I'm so stupid!)

Loading editor
    • Um.... I've created the category. But it won't let me add it to pages. When I search the name, it's not there. If I press save it won't let me. How am I supposed to add category to pages?

Loading editor
    • I am not sure how you are trying to add the category but all of the methods I know of should let you do it even if the category can't be found. You are supposed to be able to use a given category even if you haven't created the page yet.

How are you trying to add the category?

Loading editor
    • Scrolling to the bottom to the page and clicking add category basically

Loading editor
    • Okay. When adding a category using the category box at the bottom of a page, it should come up with a list of suggestions based on the created category pages. However, even if it doesn't show, you can still add it. Just continue until you have typed the entire name and then hit the return/enter key on your keyboard. For example, if the category page you created was "Category:MyFirstCategory", then, when trying to add it to the page, type "MyFirstCategory" and then hit the enter key. To save the change, I believe there is a save button or something you need to click as well.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.