FANDOM

• I have a Wiki where I tried adding links to a foreign language wiki and most of them don't work. I contacted technical support and they said they'll be on their way to check the problem and try to resolve it. I need to protect all pages for only 1 day so those guys can do their job without interruption. As soon as the problem gets fixed, I'll unprotect all pages, except for the policies page which is generally set to permanent protection. 

Loading editor
    • As a heads-up, I know it's prohibited by Terms of Use and Fandom staff to protect all pages. The whole point of having a Wiki is to open editing to anyone, but for this case, I need technical support for repairs because something is not functioning as it is suppose to. 

I don't think it's a violation. I have a good justification. I'll unprotect it when I get the signal from those guys. It's like a store, they have to (temporarily) close to the public for reconstruction/remodeling. 

Loading editor
    • There *is* a tool designed to lockdown an entire wiki for varied periods of time UPTO 12 hours. It is used by Staff, including Support, and VSTF for instances of serious vandalism to give them a chance to repair a wiki in peace.

Since you're talking about a Staff Support team coming to your wiki, they'll probably have the tool and can/might use it if they feel the need.

Loading editor
    • At the risk of sounding facetious, have you made an interwiki link request?

Loading editor
    • FANDOM staff won't lock down a wiki for that reason, I believe. And yes, it is totally a violation of the terms of use and the reason isn't very good (despite your belief). If you don't trust your community, you're probably doomed.

Loading editor
    • Love Robin wrote: There *is* a tool designed to lockdown an entire wiki for varied periods of time UPTO 12 hours. It is used by Staff, including Support, and VSTF for instances of serious vandalism to give them a chance to repair a wiki in peace.

Since you're talking about a Staff Support team coming to your wiki, they'll probably have the tool and can/might use it if they feel the need.

I never knew that, thanks

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.