FANDOM

• I have put in for a claim about an admin's unruly behavior and his authoritarian personality which also had led to an infinite block on the wiki. I have been a solid and competent contributor since 2012 and even though I did make some immature mistakes. His ban on me or having another admin enact the block.

Just wondering when my complaint will be taken alook at? #888066 Courtenay.

on the Marvel Database has been abusing his power as an administrator. I have created multiple pages for character and added pictures for them and he came and changed my photos for ones that he deemed better. Since being the original creator and the words written on their pages come from me, I asked to have the character pages deleted but he restored them and put a block on the pages. Since I wanted them gone and he brought them back I believe that violates Fandom's TOS regarding plagiarism on his behalf and even though I got verbally nasty with him he did not remove the pages per my request which another admin said I had that right. I would like him to be possibly be removed from admin status due to this occurrence as it it not the first time he has done it to me and no one else. He supersedes other editors all the time and accused me of being petty and paranoid and I don't appreciate it. He probably has already blocked me. If someone can get in touch with me as soon as possible I would appreciate it. I think he has been blocked before due to child sexual predator accusations also.

Loading editor
      1. There is no formal appeals process. If you sent in a report on the Zendesk, they'll tell you that admins can block at their own discretion.
      2. It's not plagiarism by any definition of the word. Per Fandom's license, CC-BY-SA, everything you publish is free to be changed, as long as you get credit for your share - which you get in the edit history. The admin(s) does not have to remove anything.
      3. Admins are only removed by community vote, not because people come complaining. If that was done, there'd be no admins left.
        Loading editor
    • Yeah I just learned about Fandom's policy, i didn't get credit at all. The work was overwritten with the admin's name now attached to the images that I origianlly uploaded. The work was circumvented.

If your saying everything is free under CC-BY-SA, then I had a right to revert the photos back to it's original form but the Admin locked the pages so his stuff could not be changed.

Loading editor
    • You were credited. Your image should still be visible in the upload history. Your edits are still visible in the edit history. Blanking pages is considered vandalism, and that got you blocked.

Loading editor
    • Feels like my ban became a community consensus based on personal attacks. I was one of the top 20 contributors on the leader board since 2012 and all my work, all the hours I put into it is just gone, erased like it ws never there. I've seen alot of it being torn down and changed drasticially after they gave me the boot. So I'm without a home now and nowhere to contribute.

Loading editor
    • I blanked the pages that I created. But another admin restored it and told me if I wanted it deleted just put a delete tag on it which I did but the admin I had a problem with removed them. I blanked out one page that was not my own content which was his favorite character to show him what it feels like to have someone mess with the work that you yourself spent hours on creating. All an admin has to due is lock the page and me as an editor and creator of the page has no say so in it. That kind of act is based on the superior and unilateral decision of one person instead of acting like a community.

Loading editor
    • I got blocked because I didn't fall in line like a good soldier. I took pride in my work just to have someone else to take credit for it. Yeah my original pictures are still there I don't know but this Admin thinks he can make the best picture avaiable and trades them off so his name is on it when people see it. Just feels wrong.

Loading editor
    • Gijimu wrote: I blanked out one page that was not my own content which was his favorite character to show him what it feels like to have someone mess with the work that you yourself spent hours on creating.

It takes less than a second to undo that. Also takes only a few seconds to block you for it. You gain nothing.

Loading editor
    • Plus I didn't get first, second or final warning. I don't use sock puppet accounts and besides that one time I have never vandalized any page since 2012. I have been plagarized multiple times on Marvel Database and no one seems to want to take action except give those people a warning. I didn't even get that warning like I said. I was voted off the island without any kind precedence. Is this how a solid contributor gets treated?

Loading editor
    • Warnings are not required. If you vandalize, you can get blocked. Where do you think you have been plagiarized?

Loading editor
    • Your right I don't gain anything except a swift kick to the butt.

Loading editor
    • On a couple of pages, I wrote the character's histories and someone took my words and copied and pasted it to a character page that they created so they could skip out on trying to write something in their own words. One of the admins wrote in the page histories that the words should be credited with my name from pages that I created but she couldn't do anything urther then that. And it has become a bigger hassle on the Marvel wiki then ever before.

Loading editor
    • Screenshot (196)
        Loading editor
    • I have become fustrated over these kind of things so one the admin was changing out the pictures that I uploaded with potos that were basically the same ones just a few bytes biger or smaller but you can't really see any majpr changes to them. I just think he wanted his name on them like he had done to me in the past.

Loading editor
    • And he called you paranoid and petty for that. It's a bit crude, but the key to editing is not taking edits to your work personal.

Loading editor
    • I know and I agree with you able taking things personal. There is alot of other things said about me and I did my best not to go down that same road. I was #11 on the wiki board and now it's all gone. Is it possible for admins to act out if they feel like they have a sense of power. I don't know what to say or do anymore. And I don't have anywhere else to contribute unless the ban is removed for maybe something more temp. like a couple of months ban or something less stringent. I would head over to the DC database but I don't have a grip of the knowledge to tell the difffernce on the different Earths and stuff like that. I'm used to the Marvel designations. But I do collect Justice League and a couple of other DC books.

Loading editor
    • Your best bet is ask the admin that blocked you for leniency on their wall on Community Central. But it's no guarantee.

Loading editor
    • I have contacted the creator and owner of the database Jamie and he said that he will bring it up with the team about the situation but he hasn't gotten back in touch with me yet. He has been sick. But I know that some of the admins are biased when it comes to me now and I don't think I will get a fair trial (don't know if that's the right word to use) or fair shake.

Loading editor
    • Screenshot (197)

Same photo he just wants credit for himself

Loading editor
    • Screenshot (199)

Unnecessary page lock

Loading editor
    • It's not the same image. The admin's image is larger. There is no need to revert that better image back to yours.

If the page had not been locked, would you have reverted the image again? If yes, then that page lock was not unnecessary.

Loading editor
    • No

Loading editor
    • Regardless if it was bigger it still looks the same when the file is put into the info box.

Loading editor
    • So the admin is right in every situation then?

Loading editor
    • Then why didn't he take out the time to prep and do the page himself. If he was going to insert "a better image". I take time out of my busy schedule to help and also to have fun in this creative process but I'm just probably better off doing what everyone else does and just fly under the radar and just contribute with the simplest way I know how like a lot of other contributors I know who are also content moderators. My output of work is much more rich and full of information which is what I thought was what people wanted instead of seeing a page with no character history whatsoever so all this work seems like a big letdown.

Loading editor
    • I was told that the founder was the one who made the decision but I don't know if that is true or not. Am I wasting my time trying to talk to Jamie about the situation as admins are pegging him with the action of carrying on with the ban? I don't know what steps to take, due I just let 7 years of quality work just vanish like I was never there. I mean they have already instituted steps in doing that. Do I go to another wiki and start anew or create my own?

Loading editor
    • It varies per wiki who "makes the decision". Sometimes, it's the founder, sometimes, it's the most active admins. Wait and see

Creating your own wiki would just be a colossal waste of time.

Loading editor
    • Okay I just hope it will be talked about and not something I’m being made to believe that there is a chance for some kind of resolution. Until Jamie says something it seems like it’s busy that already has been attended to. What wiki would there be to join then so I can feel like I a part of something again?

Loading editor
    • Do I just say good-bye to fandom then after 7 years?

Loading editor
    • If that wiki is the only place you think you can contribute, then yes. You can always come back.

Your sense of self-importance is unrealistically inflated and probably factored in your block. That said, the permaban seems extreme.

Loading editor
    • I try not to have an ego, and I lack alot of self importance, thats why when I do things I try my hardest to make it the best I can and inject some pride into myself because all I am used to is being torn down in real life. I agree the permaban does seem extreme. I have owned up to what I did and even apologized to the admin regardless if I get back on or not. But i doubt they will read it so just have to accept the things that i have no control over.

Loading editor
    • Your communications on Marvel DB don't seem like those from someone with a lack of ego or low self-importance. Do I need to link some of your statements?

You will likely have to be contrite and helpful for a long time on places like Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki, where your knowledge might still be useful, to earn a removal of your block.

You definitely have some self-awareness issues if you see yourself as the humble victim. Ample evidence shows you deserved a block on some level.

Loading editor
    • I never said I was a victim. And 500.00 a month on Doctor bills for my OCD says otherwise and raising kids as a single father is tough for someone in my position. I have repeatedly said that the block wasn't deserved, I have said I thought the block would be for like a month or 2. Not trying to worm my way out of it, I have agreed with the reasons for it, it's the permaban that I thought was a bit extreme. I have owned up to my immaturity. Thats all I can say. Whether they change the perma to a less extent of course that is out of my hands but I can't get anyone to even respond to my messages.

You don't need to link any statements, I know what it says what I am trying to convey is statements can be influenced by emotional triggers. Someone can be cool and calm as be, but if fear, being upset, being prideful, or if anything is going to affect a person whatever it maybe they sometimes show it in their words or actions, like if a cop had a bad day at home, he might take his frustrations out on people who he may pull over like give a ticket to or whatever. Like everyone else I have multiple facets to myself. Anyone would get frustrated if they worked really hard on a project just to find out someone just came by and copied all your work so they can get credit for something. I'm not talking about the admin, I had recent editors just downright plagiarize my work and just copy and pasted it to something they didn't feel like committing a 100% too. The original writer wouldn't necessarily be bothered by it but when more than one person starts doing it, it does become a hassle. I could link to you the numerous things that were taken from what I had written. 

Loading editor
    • There are always reasons behind poor behavior, but people on this thread aren't really the people you need to convince. If you want this thread to be useful, you should brainstorm things you can do that might get you unblocked (besides badgering the Marvel DB admins).

Loading editor
    • Yeah I'm trying to but I don't know what I would be helpful in. The Cinematic wiki is good but I have always been a comic book enthusiast the most and when I write something about a character I have the comic present to look at as a guide. I know one user of the DB would keep on with the admins and he finally made it back in after months of talking to them. They voted on it finally and the majority was in favor of letting him back due to his contribution history. I'm hoping for the same outcome it doesn't hurt to cover all bases. I am very willing to sit out awhile and respect the ban that's in place it's just the severity of the ban that I am trying to get changed.

Loading editor
    • So has your situation been voted on? Sitting things out for awhile (a couple weeks to a month) is a good idea just for cool down.

It might help to try to call out individual instances where you knew you were a jerk and apologize to the parties involved whether they were admins or not. Sincerity can help your cause. As a long time admin, sometimes I just wouldn't want to deal with a permabanned user for awhile, but I happen to be less likely to permaban a productive contributor and more likely to try to arrange a probation period and a set of rules for return.

I was actually brought in by FANDOM staff to one wiki to try to rehabilitate a problematic, but highly active and productive user and I can generally say I succeeded. However, managing these situations is not a skill every admin has.

Loading editor
    • No not that I know of, and if they did I can't find out or wasn't privy to the conversation. I have apologized to the parties involved also and even agreed to the block due my behavior but the permaban wasn't expected.

Loading editor
    • Another user went through a ban also but after sometime had passed was allowed back to the wiki after they talked aout it but admins did stay in contact with him during the time he was blocked. Unforntunately I haven't been as lucky except for answers back by 1 admin whosaid he would do the best it can when he felt better. But I don't know how far they would be willing to go to champion in my favor of a less extreme block.

Loading editor
    • Just to wrap this thread, I'm working with the Marvel Database team to review this appeal. Once a decision is made, we'll communicate it accordingly.

Loading editor
    • Thank you, whatever decision is made I appreciate your promptness and candor regarding this matter.

Loading editor
    • Looks like things are going in the right direction... if my brain was working right, I would have pointed you to the Wiki Manager.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.