FANDOM

• So at our wikia the infobox is too far to the right. This is fine for inboxes without much in them.  However whenever I am looking to place an image in them it seems we need to use data source instead of image source type so to edit the size of the image, otherwise it cuts the image off to the right. I have tried using an image source however we can't make the images bigger than a certain amount. What are some ways around this. Treasure Hacker 20:16, October 19, 2019 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • It is hard to understand your situation without any examples we can examine. Please provide links to and example using data-source and an example using image-source so we can find what is causing the issue.

Off-the-cuff, you should be able to change the size using CSS; I would think. My guess is your wiki might be using CSS to make infoboxes thinner. This is an issue since the infobox feature assumes a certain width when determining the size of an image.

Loading editor
    • Profile Picture Cut Off from Data Source in Infobox
      Thank You. Here is an example of what's happening with the porfile image. Anything greater than 250 px is, for reason I haven't figured outjust yet being cut off on the right. Treasure Hacker 23:12, October 22, 2019 (UTC)
        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 (and most helpers) want a link to where you see the problem... a screenshot only helps to see what the problem looks like, but not how to find out what is causing it. It would be like showing your mechanic a photo of your car with smoke coming out of the front end, but not bringing in your car to the mechanic.

Loading editor
    • Yes, Fandyllic is correct. I link would be much more helpful.

Based on the image, it looks like your infobox is unusually narrow. This is evidence in support of my initial guess but I cannot say for sure until I can examine the page itself.

Loading editor
    • Well here is the template that currently exists. Offhand I can't think of anything that looks abnormal in it.:

https://dothack.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Infobox_New_World_Characters

And here is our wikia css: https://dothack.fandom.com/wiki/MediaWiki:Wikia.css

I think there's something in it that can help.

Loading editor
    • Your image is set to be 500px wide. The infobox is set to be 270px wide. I am not a genious but I am thinking something that is 500px is not going to fit into something that is 270px.

Regardless, have you read Help:Infoboxes#How_to_use_multiple_images_or_videos? You can use this method with the actual image tag and the images will be scaled down to fit in the infobox. Also, your caption will actually show for single images.

Edit:

If you use a proper image tag, you also won't have to center the image yourself. Even if you do, you shouldn't use the center tag. Best practice is to use CSS instead.

Loading editor
    • Thank you. Is there any way I can increase the width of the infobox itself or create it so that conforms to the size of the image instead of the reverse.

Loading editor
    • You can make it larger but then that sort of defeats the purpose fo using a portable infobox. It is supposed ot be compact for display on mobile devices. Is there a reason the image needs to be so large on the page?

Loading editor
    • I think it looks better aesthetically, while it for dosen't need to be 500 px exactly, for example something less like even 350 px might work, the smaller image ratio that they default to look akward in desktop mode for some images. Our wikia doesn't use portable infoboxes because thats what planned for however, but because most of the original infoboxes were automatically converted back wikia made their large formating conversion years ago, the newer infoboxes copy that insteaf since most of our older ones aren't really what we are use to referencing anymore. The older infoboxes however had an ability to be customized in a certain ways that haven't been quite mastered with the new ones. ideally a mix of both would probably work Treasure Hacker 03:56, October 24, 2019 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • Sorry for the delay. Portable infoboxes, when used properly, should scale the images to the correct width. This means the aspect ration won't change. From what I can tell, that is exactly what is going on when you use the gallery tags as intended for showing multiple images with a portable infobox. However, I did notice that there is considerable empty space on the right side of the image; perhaps that is what you are referring to? If so, then that is an issue with the image itself, not how the infobox is displaying it.

Loading editor
    • Thank you for the reply. I actually found away around it now. I was actually referencing the size of the image that gets created by the infobox. From my computer it becomes terribly small, in the corner and somewhat tucked away. Like you deduced in the first post this was happenimg because the box had some hidden limits that it used for whemever the image goes over a certain px. I've created an infobox that gives a little more space. Although its not as fancy as I wish it could be, in the link beloe is more the size I'm hoping most images can be around.nl (I can't remeber if I left it at 40% or 50%, so I might go back and reduce it tad later) Also now that you mention I guess the image could be cropped a bit. I kinda avoided that originaly since I didn't want to mess up how its centered

https://dothack.fandom.com/wiki/DD?oldid=71143#Modified (View in desktop mode if on mobile to see)

Treasure Hacker 15:55, October 29, 2019 (UTC)

EDIT: On a new note whats the best way for me to mimic the visual style of the portable infobox, like the specific colors it uses and the look of the borders.

https://dothack.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Infobox_New_World_Characters/draft

Loading editor
    • In order to copy the appearance, you would need to use site CSS to tweak the appearance of your table. That being the case, you may want to consider keeping the portable infobox and just using the site CSS to make it wider on desktop. Site CSS is not applied when viewing in mobile and the portable infobox was designed specifically so that things would look good on mobile as well as desktop. So, in that case, you should have a decent looking infobox on mobile and your "better" one on desktop. In comparison, if you use a regular table (as is the case with your draft), you will have your "better" one on desktop but risk having a terrible one on mobile.

Loading editor
    • Thank you, though I think we're gonna stay with the classic infobox style for now. For a while now I've seen and had more troubles with portable infobox than I care to imagine. As a result I think at least for this period in time it's a little comforting to finally be with something that doesn't carry some of those same issues. Treasure Hacker 21:49, November 6, 2019 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.