FANDOM

• Hello. I am an admin on the Creepypasta Wiki. About four months ago now, we adopted the Discussions feature and are continuing to have issues with it.

99% of the users who post in our Discussions come from the Fandom app rather than the wiki itself. We are fine with this, to be clear, but it does cause some issues. The issues stem from two main problems with the feature: the lack of a direct interface with the wiki itself, and the fact that there are limited options for getting people's attention in Discussions.

To start with, the default link to the Discussions rules is not very conspicuous, and even less so when using the app where it's under a tab that you have to open. In addition, since there is still no pin/sticky feature, we can't pin a rules post. We have reason to believe the majority of our Discussions community never even see the rules.

In addition, we are having trouble getting the attention of specific problem users. Our standard way of notifying users that they have broken rules on the wiki is to leave messages on their talk page, but as far as we know there is no way that users are notified of talk pages messages on the app.

We have tried locking offending posts with notices that the post is in violation and that continuing to break the rules will result in a temp ban, but the only way for that to work is if the poster sees that this has been done.

We thought about having a disciplinary thread just for user warnings and ban notices, but I have discovered that you can't even bump threads, so it's unlikely they would be checking the thread to see if the have been mentioned.

We may try pinging users with the new mentions feature, but this may yield limited results as well.

Many of the users in our Discussions seem oblivious to the fact that there is even a wiki beyond the Discussions app. We recently had one user ask if there was a place he could read a lot of creepypasta, a database for creepypasta stories all in one place. Again, we're the Creepypasta Wiki.

Another thing I've discovered through test banning myself is that when users are banned, they aren't notified that they are banned when they try to post in Discussions. They just get a notification saying their post couldn't be saved, and they probably think the issue is a system error then.

I'd like to close by suggesting that the following changes be made to Discussions:

1. The ability for DMs and admins to pin posts.

2. Greater visibility for the rules page.

3. More interface between Discussions and the wiki itself, particularly on the Fandom App where there is currently next to none.

4. Automatically notify app users if someone has messaged their talk page/message wall, or at least make the push notification for it visible in Discussions as well as the wiki.

Or, alternatively, create an analogue to message walls specifically for Discussions, since Discussions users already have parallel profile pages anyway.

5. A mass notification system for Discussions, since as far as I know there is none currently.

6. A clearer message telling banned users that the reason they can't post is because they are banned.

7. Allow threads to be bumped by recent posts. I realize this can be abused, but it could prevent users from asking the same questions over and over as well as create a more vibrant community in Discussions since popular posts wouldn't disappear as quickly.

Loading editor
    • Regarding 1.: that won't happen. I've asked for that since beta.

I would also suggest my own:
      8. Add a block button in the app, or if not, create an easy link between app profile and user page. I don't like having to type RandoMcCoolguy346536lol!!!one's username on the desktop view, especially with tab discarding so I can't double check.

Loading editor
    • If you want your suggestions to actually land in front of staff, I suggest you submit a feedback form rather than posting here.

Loading editor
    • Despite name of this board and the vague accompanying description, this is not the place for requesting new features. The intent of this board is to discuss recently implemented features by FANDOM. How do we decide what "recent" means? Who knows, but it still doesn't mean new features as in those features that FANDOM currently doesn't have.

Submit your new feature suggestions via the "Contact us" Zendesk form.

Since you're specifically asking about Discussions, you should read the Help:Discussions FAQ carefully.

Lastly, no one here really disagrees with any of your suggestions, but we know that suggesting them here is generally spitting into the wind.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Despite name of this board and the vague accompanying description, this is not the place for requesting new features. The intent of this board is to discuss recently implemented features by FANDOM. ...

I am not sure on what the intended use of this board is, but it certainly has been used in the past for posting suggestions. However, as you pointed out, posting them here won't do much.

Loading editor
    • It looks like I was wrong about the timeline for killing these forums... from today's FANDOM staff blog: "At the latest, we will have Forums retired by mid-January." (as in Jan 2020).

I have no idea how we can do support for wikitext without support in Discussion and I think users will balk at a return to the old forums where you have to use sigs and manually indent and all that. Seems like poor planning.

Loading editor
    • Preaching to the choir here buddy. Apparently "parity" means being able to use bold, italics, bullet lists, numbered lists, and preformatted text (see here). Um, can you even use tables yet?

Loading editor
    • Well, I'm fine with just forwarding tons of stuff to FANDOM staff support form... that's apparently what they want.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.