FANDOM

• I have been 5 months in my new wiki (not sure if that means it it s still technically new) and I have had lot's of amazing help on these forums especially by: Andrewds1021, Fandyllic and Tupka217 (you guys saved my bacon loads of times).

But now I am at an impasse. I still have not attracted any other editors, the complexity of the wiki is rising and getting another's perspective on what to: improve, focus on or even proofread is becoming more and more desirable.

I read staff blogs, articles and user blogs on how to improve and grow wikis. But I really am not sure what to do- besides keep up what I am doing and continually overview the available resources.

Any further suggestions?

Loading editor
    • I wish I could help with this. However, at this point, I don't think there is much more that can be suggested. At least, not by someone who isn't interested in the topic (such as myself). If there were some magic formula for making a wiki popular, I sure would like to know what it is.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: I wish I could help with this. However, at this point, I don't think there is much more that can be suggested. At least, not by someone who isn't interested in the topic (such as myself). If there were some magic formula for making a wiki popular, I sure would like to know what it is.

At least I know I am doing all I can with what I have, ty!

Loading editor
    • Have you seen my old blog, Attracting users to a wiki and things to make it grow?

Some other ideas fro attracting users that aren't in my blog:

• Visit related wikis and ask users there if they are interested in contributing to your wiki. It's usually good to get approval of admins at the wiki before you start recruiting.
      • Advertise your wiki in other social media sites like reddit, topic-related forums, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
      • Try to post a topic related news article in your Discussions at least once a month.
      • Check Special:Analytics to see what pages people are viewing most and where they're from. It might help tailor content better.
        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Have you seen my old blog, Attracting users to a wiki and things to make it grow?

Some other ideas fro attracting users that aren't in my blog:

• Visit related wikis and ask users there if they are interested in contributing to your wiki. It's usually good to get approval of admins at the wiki before you start recruiting.
      • Advertise your wiki in other social media sites like reddit, topic-related forums, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
      • Try to post a topic related news article in your Discussions at least once a month.
      • Check Special:Analytics to see what pages people are viewing most and where they're from. It might help tailor content better.

I actually go to your blog post once in a while to see how I am doing :)

Ty for the extra tips.

Loading editor
    • I probably should do a new blog post, but to be honest I haven't been doing much admin stuff that actively, so my perspective isn't as comprehensive and up-to-date as it used to be. Also with the UCP (unified something) coming, many of my insights might be useless.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, I am kinda on slow or hesitant pace myself with this new mediawiki updates/changes coming. But if this update puts wikias more desirable for new blood maybe it will breath more editing life in wikis as a whole- or I can dream that at least XD

Definitely, don't pour your time into something that might be 99% out of date after migration which who knows how soon that'd be.

Loading editor
    • UCP; Unified Community Platform?

I agree with you both that it would stink to put in a lot of effort just to have to reqork it after. However, given that it is still MediaWiki, I would hope it wouldn't require too much. Then again, it does depend on what your wiki uses. I won't go into detail because it is off-topic for this thread but the wiki I admin will probably have a lot to rework; in addition to the content tasks already on the to-do list.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.