FANDOM

• So, I have been making a new infobox template. I have removed several 'label' fields in this template and replaced them with icons. So because of this, when the template is opened, many fields remain unlabeled.

I needed a way to display the label of a field for users other than me when they use this template. I used the 'name' attribute inside the 'data' tag. and it worked. But after I reloaded the page, the 'label' disappeared again.

I just wanted to know if I was using this attribute right, and if there is any other way of showing the label in the infobox only for the editors to recognise the field names, but not to the people who are viewing the content.

I have used the above mentioned template in this page (you will have to expand the table, and check the second infobox for a clear idea, instead of the first) and it works as I want it to, but when I go to edit the infobox contents, the labels are missing.

Loading editor
    • This is not how an infobox is intended to work, and it is either not possible or heavily discouraged to have certain things to (not) show up for a select group of users.

Loading editor
    • The "name" field is intended to identify infobox fields or rows for logical purposes (i.e. for JavaScript or CSS targeting). The "label" field should always have a text value (even if it's in addition to the icon), for accessibility and user experience reasons. You can, in theory, use a template classified as "Infoicon" inside the label to remove the label on mobile, but for the same reasons I would suggest not doing so.

Additionally, I would strongly suggest using actual data wikitables (spreadsheet-style) on that page for usability. The "card" setup you have there is very much against guidelines for useful presentation. Sorting those items is fairly difficult, and it's not a particularly good experience on either mobile or desktop.

Loading editor
    • Mendes2 wrote:
      This is not how an infobox is intended to work, and it is either not possible or heavily discouraged to have certain things to (not) show up for a select group of users.

I think you misunderstood when I mentioned some things not showing up for certain group of people. I meant it should only be visible to someone who is editing the infobox.

Loading editor
    • FishTank wrote:
      The "name" field is intended to identify infobox fields or rows for logical purposes (i.e. for JavaScript or CSS targeting). The "label" field should always have a text value (even if it's in addition to the icon), for accessibility and user experience reasons. You can, in theory, use a template classified as "Infoicon" inside the label to remove the label on mobile, but for the same reasons I would suggest not doing so.

Additionally, I would strongly suggest using actual data wikitables (spreadsheet-style) on that page for usability. The "card" setup you have there is very much against guidelines for useful presentation. Sorting those items is fairly difficult, and it's not a particularly good experience on either mobile or desktop.

Thanks

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.