FANDOM

• Love Robin
    Love Robin closed this thread because:
    Asked. Answered. Advised. Rinse. Repeat.
    19:53, October 8, 2019

Can an admin block another admin?

Loading editor
    • Yes. But said admin can then unblock themselves. A bureaucrat can demote an admin and then block them. A bureaucrat can not demote another bureaucrat.

Loading editor
    • Then who can demote a bureaucrat?

Loading editor
    • Staff, and the bureaucrat themself. But staff doesn't do it without a good reason.

Loading editor
    • Huh , you said in your first reply that a bureaucrat cannot demote another bureaucrat.

Loading editor
    • They're saying that a person who is bureaucrat can choose to step away from that role. 

The "beaurcract themself" just means that "the person who is a bureacrat", as in like they can resign from the role, but they still cannot demote other bureaucrats. 

Loading editor
    • You mean" those who do not wish to be bureaucrat they'll resign, and they can longer demote another bureaucrat?

Loading editor
    • Not quite . . . 

Okay, say you and me are both bureaucrats. 

I cannot demote you and you cannot demote me. 

If I wish to demote myself, I can. I can remove myself as bureaucrat and resign, which means I'll no longer be bureaucrat . . . you can demote yourself, too, but we just cannot demote each other. 

Loading editor
    • Then a wiki manager can demote a bureaucrat?

Loading editor
    • As Tupka said: staff members can demote bureaucrats. 

Wiki managers are staff members. 

So wiki managers could - theoretically - demote bureaucrats. 

Loading editor
    • A bureaucrat can be demoted due to what reasons?

Loading editor
    • Inactivity, Terms of Use violations and a community vote against them account for most of them.

Loading editor
    • Demeaning behaviour and unreasonable attitude? 

Loading editor
    • In itself, no. Because those are not objective traits. But if the community thinks so, perhaps.

Loading editor
    • Terms of Use violations like?

Loading editor
    • Like abuse?

Loading editor
    • I'm reluctant to say why staff might demote a bureaucrat, as it's rather complicated on all and likely taken on a case-by-case basis . . . I'd say that things such as death threats, constant copyright violations, and impersonating staff members would result in very likely demotions. 

There's other reasons, for sure, but I would say that if you have a specific issue with a bureaucrat then there's a line of action to go through, which I - or someone else - could send you . . . this starts with trying to resolve with said bureaucrat, with talking to staff as a last resort (or a first resort in case of death threats or severe abuse/harassment). 

You can also ask in the forums with specific types of behaviour, perhaps examples, so that way people could give you more specific advice, too. 

Loading editor
    • I had trouble talking to Hey1234, admin of Disney Wikia. He rebuked me for my statements. He thinks they are nonsense.

Loading editor
    • Most of the Terms of Use is a bit murky. What one person might consider a violation, another might not. Words like "obscene" are open to interpretation.

Loading editor
    • Oxlord wrote:
      I had trouble talking to Hey1234, admin of Disney Wikia. He rebuked me for my statements. He thinks they are nonsense.

He won't likely get demoted for that. 

To be honest, I agreed with some of what was said (at a glance). It just seemed that the two of you argued over semantics and he blocked you for a very short time, and now you're allowed back on the wiki, with all having been resolved. If we keep this strictly on-topic; staff are very unlikely to intervene based off personal disagreements, and he doesn't seem to have broken any ToU (that I know of as a regular user and not a staff member).

I'd personally advise to let it drop, as it might cause more drama by going over and over the issue and aggravate the bureaucrat in question, but - if you can't - you can always politely discuss it with him, providing you stop if/when he asks you to stop. Often, these things can also be resolved with polite discussion and each side listening to the others' points. 

Loading editor
    • He won't listen to my points?

Loading editor
    • Maybe you look into Disney Wikia and into my message to him, then you'll know what I mean.

Loading editor
    • Oxlord wrote:
      Maybe you look into Disney Wikia and into my message to him, then you'll know what I mean.

I will say this in their defence:

There is a difference between 'jealousy' and 'envy', and your change wasn't grammatically correct, as you can't end a sentence with a preposition. You also seem to be messaging them a lot, including not giving them time to reply, sometimes persisting on demanding a reply only a few hours after a previous message (which would be annoying, when they are likely busy and can't respond simply as you wish for a response). 

A few messages of theirs were removed; I'm not a staff member, and I'm struggling to find what was said in those messages due to layout and so forth, so I don't know if maybe they were rude or abusive to you, or even if it was another member that intervened.

I will say this, though . . . 

Bureaucrats don't have to listen. 

Is that fair? No. Is that how wikias work? Kind of. 

He's told you that "this is a rule, please don't argue", and so you can't really argue with him, when he has expressed that he's not willing to budge on the issue. I know it can suck when you feel you're right, and it can be infuriating, especially when you know the other person won't hear you out, but . . . life can be like that. You have to let things drop sometimes, else you'll be stewing in resentment for a very long time. 

Loading editor
    • I assume that you don't know that envy is synonymous to jealousy, do you?

Loading editor
    • Oxlord wrote:
      I assume that you don't know that envy is synonymous to jealousy, do you?

I have an English Literature (Hons) degree. 

First link on Google: https://www.diffen.com/difference/Envy_vs_Jealousy

I could also send you a Simpsons link, as it's permeated pop culture to be referenced.

This is getting off-topic, though. 

tl;dr The only person that can demote an admin is a bureaucrat or staff member, and the only person that can demote a beauracrat is the beauracrat themselves or a staff member. The beaurcrat in question seems to have broken no ToU and had a fair point, so staff likely would not demote them. It's better you just drop it and move on, for your own peace of mind. 

Loading editor
    • I don't care about that link. Google already had it that envy is synonymous to jealousy. You know what synonyms are, don't you? The admin and wiki manager of Disney Wikia was the one who taught me about synonyms, her name was SilverFlight. Synonyms are allowed in Disney Wikia in order to provide concise information. If you think that envy is not synonymous to jealousy, then lodge a complain about Google.

Loading editor
    • Let it rest.

Loading editor
    • https://community.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Mira_Laime/How_to_Deal_With_a_Bad_Bureaucrat

https://community.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Sannse/Calm_Over_Conflict

https://community.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Sannse/How_to_Get_Unblocked

https://community.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Sannse/How_You_Can_Work_Through_an_Admin_Dispute

Look, you can debate semantics all you want, but the bureuacrat said "no". That's it. There's no debate, no discussion . . . he gave you a rule, and so you follow the rule or you don't use that wikia. If you keep arguing with him and breaking his rules, he may follow with blocking you. It's best to walk away. 

Loading editor
    • 4733 500
        Loading editor
    • You should know that every Wikia have more than one admin and bureaucrat. SilverFlight is another admin, bureaucrat and wiki manager. Hey1234 is not the only admin calling the shots in Disney Wikia. I repeat, "not the only admin". He made a rule of "screenshots as infobox profile images" without even consulting with us. Not even voting. Probably because of this, SilverFlight distanced herself from Disney Wikia. For she still support promotional images as infobox profile images. Hey1234 did not even show evidence why screenshots are better. And your saying of "his" rules, what? The Disney Wikia belongs to everyone, not "his". And, in Disney Wikia, we preferred synonyms over adjectives. I ask you this: Do you know what synonyms are?

Loading editor
    • "we preferred synonyms over adjectives"

If you think the two are mutually exclusive, you don't know what synonyms are. Or adjectives. Or both.

Loading editor
    • If you dislike the rule he created, speak to another bureaucrat. 

If you dislike their ruling, create a blog post or Discuss post and engage the community. 

If the community agrees, make a poll and try to get the rule changed. 

Loading editor
    • Oh, most people know what they are. But whether you like it or not, there is a slight difference between the words. And looking at the comment thread on the Disney Wiki, you changed wording unnecessarily. Is this a hill you're really willing to die on? 

Word of advice though? Work on that attitude problem.

Loading editor
    • SilverFlight is the one who taught me about synonyms. Sorry, I should not involve adjectives. So, what I written in last reply was wrong. The Disney Wikia allowed synonyms to state concise information. Like if there's "smart" and "intelligent". They're synonymous to each other, so we remove either one of them, even they are slightly different. And, whether you like it or not, envy is synonymous to jealousy. If you have issues, please complain to the ones who state that envy and jealousy are synonymous to each other.

Loading editor
    • Oxlord . . . 

You've been given several clear answers. 

Your opening post has been resolved, and your questions about the bureaucrat in specific have been answered, too. Do you have anything else to add? We can argue about synonyms all day, but I would suggest talking to your English teacher and/or a writing forum instead. 

If your issue is just semantics, it's really time to let this drop. 

Loading editor
    • SilverFlight "distanced" herself because she has taken on the additional role of Wiki Manager for a few dozen wikis (not Disney). In other words, she's busier than she used to be. She will likely refer you to talk to another Disney admin or TimeShade, the Disney Wiki Manager.

Unless you can allege ToU violations, TimeShade will point you back to a Disney Admin, in this case, probably Hey.

The only "higher court" you can take this to is Contact Fandom Staff, and they *rarely* get involved in local wiki matters (unless a ToU violation).

Let this matter drop. And I repeat, if you get blocked there, we cannot help you for all the same reasons.

Life is not fair. The Internet is even less fair.

Loading editor
    • Like I said, KevinVolkov, Disney Wikia allowed the use of synonyms. SilverFlight and I are okay with that. I don't need an English teacher, I used Google. The rules are made by the community.

And Robin, don't worry about me. I know what I'm doing. I can create a blog or discussion post. 

And I cared only about honour, not fairness.  

Loading editor
    • Life and the internet rarely have that either.

But we're at the point were we're just repeating ourselves in a circle.

Closing this thread

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.