FANDOM

• I'm trying to help a new wiki, and I can't figure out whether I should create category pages, reular info pages, or both.

I'm currently trying to set up a nice, easily navigable set of pages for locations in a video game.  I want to include info on both towns and locations within those towns, and I want to sort the individual locations by town.  I know that making the town a category page will let me sort locations nicely.  Do I also put information about that town on the category page, or do I make a seperate page to describe the town?

I'm trying to edit the Eastshade Wiki if you want to look at it.

Loading editor
    • Suggestions here would be based on opinion. For me, I would create a Category:Locations page only instead of a mainspace "Locations" page. The reason is to prevent redundancy. Would it make sense to have a category for all the locations in the game but also have a page of the locations on its own? It would be better to have those two lists together and make individual pages of the locations themselves.

Hope this helps. More suggestions may follow here if you're not satisfied.

Loading editor
    • Cheeseskates, I tend to agree with you.  Having multiple pages for the same topic is redundant.  Now that I've made a category page for the town, though, the wiki still shows the town as a missing link because there isn't an article for it.  Do I route those links to the category page somehow?

Loading editor
    • If I understand correctly, you're asking if you should link a location to its category page. You can do this by adding a colon after [[. ([[:Category:Locations]]).

If I didn't, can you link a page as an example?

Loading editor
    • Here's one of the location pages someone else made.  I added it to the new city category "Nava" I made, but when someone else mentioned "Nava" in the article, the link says "does not exist."  Would the solution you just mentioned fix this?

(you can also see how many other missing pages there are but that's beside the point.)

Loading editor
    • I see what you mean. When that person mentioned "Nava", they did so by assuming a mainspace Nava page existed by typing [[Nava]]. We want to link to Category:Nava. I made an edit on the wiki doing so, which you can check the DIFF for. By linking this way, the redlink is solved by linking to the Category page of Nava.

Loading editor
    • Ahh, I see what you did!  Thanks for helping me understand.  I'm still very new to editing things on Fandom.

Loading editor
    • No problem. This confused me as well when I was starting out, but as long as you keep looking at other wikis and experiment with what you want to achieve, you'll be a superb editor. I also recommend Help:Contents, but it's a bit long to read it all.

All the best!

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.