FANDOM

• Hello!  I'm new to Fandom.  I'm trying to help out with the wiki for a game called Eastshade that I really like.  The wiki is really small and incomplete, and there's nobody else on there that has edited recently.  I have lots of ideas for how to make the wiki easier to navigate/use/etc, but zero programing knowledge!  Any help on how to best proceed would be appreciated.

Loading editor
    • Well, the first step would be tell the people here where they can find your wiki, what you want which element to look like, and maybe draw on some other wikis as examples.

Loading editor
    • Thank you!  I'm working on the Eastshade Wiki.  I haven't really put much thought into how everything will look yet; right now I'm focusing on how everything will work (links, page structure, what information to include etc).  Do you have any specific examples of really well-made video game wikis I could look at for inspiration?

Loading editor
    • Focus on ordering your info first, think of what needs a page, and then make content. I don't know what kind of game it is, and don't visit video game wikis much, but you could look at wikis on comparable games and see what could work for you. We can't help you if you don't know what you need help with yet. But when you do, just ask here.

Loading editor
    • I have edited, admin'd and founded several gaming wikis in the past 8-9 years. I find using the game in question in-game structure as a guide to how to structure your wiki helps for players.

For example setting up categories and article structures that are similar to how the game is set up helps transcends the player from the game to the wiki.

If the game is heavily on characters, quests or gear/items start with that and expand to less vital information after. Try to get the those article names (use same or similar names as the game uses), categories (have a well organized category tree is helpful as an editor and a viewer), infobox (personalizing an infobox for each many aspect of the game that requires one) and article structure planned out in a Sandbox environment till you are happy with it.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.