FANDOM

• Fngplg tried to help on Character Category Page 2 but it won't allow me to respond, but I'm wanting to ask how to make the list alphabetical. I didn't use the list they suggested from [Forum] , but there was another on the page that I did use.

<table><forum>
    category=CategoryName
    parameter1=value
    parameter2=value
    </forum></table>

I need to get the list to be in alphabetical order and to put buttons on it so that it can go to the next set of names, but also be allowed to go back.

I haven't put it on any pages as of right now. I'm testing it on a Sandbox page.

Loading editor
    • Again, you don't need a list that long. Noone's going to sift through it on the main page, and it defeats the purpose of having categories. Hand pick the top 5-10. It's your showcase window, you don't want to dump everything in there.

Loading editor
    • It's not for the main page. I made a category just for main characters for that very reason. However, for pages that are about the different species within the books, that is something all together different. Having a list of people that are Carpathian, Vampire, Lycan, etc. that people can scroll though would be helpful and useful. I know not everyone would want to do that, but there are some who do, just to get a feel for the scope of the world within the books. It is giving visitors the option to look at an ordered list of the characters that fall under that species category, but I don't want to have to go in and add a character each time a new one pops up after page 200.

Loading editor
    • DPL is an expensive call, it’s limited for a reason. Maybe there’s a way to make a list per starting letter?

also, general note to those who help: using dpl/forum tags on thread namespace breaks things, apparently.

Loading editor
    • it doesn't break, if used carefully:

at the last time, me just forgot this :)
        Loading editor
    • I looked at the the media wiki and it is even more limited that the category tree, but it said something about a button for next and previous on it. I couldn't get it to work right. However, I still couldn't find how to make it alphabetical.

Loading editor
    • you can't do it. dplforum is an extension to create forum-like pages. it's abilities are limited. there is dpl extension, that can do... things. but a) you have to request it via special:contact; b) you don't need it, because of wrong original task: you don't need a way to display hundreds of pages, you can use categories for this.

just place one hand-picked image with link to the corresponding category, this will be simpler to create and maintain.

Loading editor
    • But that's not what I'm wanting to do. I'm wanting a complete list of characters that are labled under that category so that people dont have to go to the category page. I would like to be able to seperate each letter but that's a whole different can of worms, and would require i go in and add them manually, which I am trying to avoid as a list that auto updates is preferable to a manual list.

I guess no one knows how to make a list that exceeds 200 pages appear on a page that is set up for a list. If we should hit that limit, I guess I will just do a normal, manual list. Thanks anyway.

Loading editor
    • Ladyathena1#8
      I'm wanting a complete list of characters that are labled under that category so that people dont have to go to the category page

why? what benefit do you expect? according to what you ask, you want category page:
      Ladyathena1#8
      I'm wanting a complete list of characters that are labled under that category

that's what category does
      Ladyathena1#8
      I would like to be able to seperate each letter

category does it
      Ladyathena1#8
      I guess no one knows how to make a list that exceeds 200 pages appear on a page that is set up for a list

category has pagination

all your needs already has covered by categories.

Loading editor
    • But I want the list to appear on a page that explains what that species is, not the category page. I kept saying that but no one would tell me what I need to do to do it, just saying don't do that.

Loading editor
    • Ladyathena1 wrote: But I want the list to appear on a page that explains what that species is,

Category has room for that.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.