FANDOM

• I'm considering starting a wiki (for an unpopular manga). I want to know how  much (I need numbers) time I should expect to spend on this project. What are some tips? I'm considering writing maybe 20-30 pages offline first as well as drafting a rough sketch of how I want to organize everything before actually making the wiki. I have a preference to write by hand first. Also, how much technical know-how do I need? I've already checked out a library book to help me learn html, CSS and Javascript.

Should I just start small by expanding a free-range (no admin) wiki? I have one in mind. I've edited before just on a different account. I've only added readable content. I'm horrible with images.

What are your experiences?

Loading editor
    • Time? A lot. Money? Even more. Make sure to focus on the main characters and write a short bio - you can always expand it later, but it's better than a stub page. You can even just creatively rewrite Wikipedia content.

Learning html, CSS and Javascript isn't really necessary - there's no need to reinvent the wheel. You can change the appearance via the Designer and the Dev Wiki and Portability Wiki have useful custom code.

Loading editor
    • It doesn't take money really... just tons and tons of time. You can read my blog that has lots of parts you can add to your wiki: Attracting users to a wiki and things to make it grow.

Another useful wiki for basing content on is Templates wiki.

Loading editor
    • Money as you are usually the only editor at first, and you need to buy all the stuff that comes out/is already out.

Loading editor
    • Well, that depends on the manga then. Doesn't it? It doesn't have to do with starting the wiki per se. But yeah, learning HTML, CSS, and JS is not necessary if you are just starting out. MediaWiki makes it a lot simpler than that. Although, that means you have to know how to use the MediaWiki markup (a.k.a. wikitext). While it is good to have a general idea of the content and text can certainly be developed offline, I would not suggest trying to develop the appearance offline; unless you want to install your own local copy of MediaWiki. However, even then, you should note that Wikia's version is significantly different from the latest base version. So even if you did that, you would probably end up with a handful or two of errors due to version differences.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:

Money as you are usually the only editor at first, and you need to buy all the stuff that comes out/is already out.

You don't need to buy everything... just stuff that isn't covered in detail by external sources. And you really don't even need to do that.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, I'm just used to DC - where there's a lot. I know I won't be able to cover all, but should I need to verify something/grab an image, I'd need to buy a comic I wouldn't have bought otherwise. My Comixology list has got some weird ones in it. Like a The Vampire Diaries digital comic, because every external source listed something that just couldn't be right. That's 1,60 I'm never getting back :P

Loading editor
    • The manga really isn't that popular with the English speaking audience. The official site lets you read for free even though it says it's popular in Japan. 😐 There's not enough material to make it into an animated series maybe a movie but that's it.

Maybe I'm better off expanding on a free range wiki to gain more experience.

Thanks for the comments and tips. 

Loading editor
    • I kinda derailed the discussion.

You can always just set up the wiki. There's no harm in that. If you find you haven't got the time, or if it's too much work, leave it for others to finish.

Loading editor
    • So to be clear, we're actually talking about two very different things. Starting a wiki is easy and many founders start one and walk away within a week or less. However, building and maintaining a sustainable wiki is hard and time consuming and may even fail after you've built it to over 100,000 pages, so you have to go into it with the idea that you can make it as good as you can, because wikis should never be an individual project.

Loading editor
    • If you want a wiki for your manga topic, I encourage you to just start the wiki. Working on a wiki is as hard or as easy as you want it to be, depending how much time and effort you want to invest. Do you like writing up content and organizing? It sounds like you do since you're already getting organized, so do it to enjoy it.

Also, developing a wiki can get other editors (and graphic designers) involved to help build it. So don't think that you need to have the whole thing worked out ahead of time.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Well, that depends on the manga then. Doesn't it? It doesn't have to do with starting the wiki per se. But yeah, learning HTML, CSS, and JS is not necessary if you are just starting out. MediaWiki makes it a lot simpler than that. Although, that means you have to know how to use the MediaWiki markup (a.k.a. wikitext). While it is good to have a general idea of the content and text can certainly be developed offline, I would not suggest trying to develop the appearance offline; unless you want to install your own local copy of MediaWiki. However, even then, you should note that Wikia's version is significantly different from the latest base version. So even if you did that, you would probably end up with a handful or two of errors due to version differences.

thanks for sharing this kind information, this is really informative and helpful for me.

Regards:)

Loading editor
    • KylaraE wrote:
      If you want a wiki for your manga topic, I encourage you to just start the wiki. Working on a wiki is as hard or as easy as you want it to be, depending how much time and effort you want to invest. Do you like writing up content and organizing? It sounds like you do since you're already getting organized, so do it to enjoy it.

Also, developing a wiki can get other editors (and graphic designers) involved to help build it. So don't think that you need to have the whole thing worked out ahead of time.

Should I just start small by expanding a free-range (no admin) wiki? I have one in mind. I've edited before just on a different account. I've only added readable content. I'm horrible with images.

Loading editor
    • Poliyaty wrote:
      KylaraE wrote:
      If you want a wiki for your manga topic, I encourage you to just start the wiki. Working on a wiki is as hard or as easy as you want it to be, depending how much time and effort you want to invest. Do you like writing up content and organizing? It sounds like you do since you're already getting organized, so do it to enjoy it.

Loading editor
    • u dont have 2 have any $ 2 make ur wiki. u get PAID 4 ur hard work when u make ur wiki. u know fandom makes $ from ads right? that means wiki developers earn money from advertisers paying

Loading editor
    • F039A6C4 wrote: u dont have 2 have any $ 2 make ur wiki. u get PAID 4 ur hard work when u make ur wiki. u know fandom makes $ from ads right? that means wiki developers earn money from advertisers paying

Except for the occasional editor rewards, this does not trickle down.

Loading editor
    • And whether or not it trickles down could be completely arbitrary. There is no documented system.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:

F039A6C4 wrote: u dont have 2 have any $ 2 make ur wiki. u get PAID 4 ur hard work when u make ur wiki. u know fandom makes $ from ads right? that means wiki developers earn money from advertisers paying

Except for the occasional editor rewards, this does not trickle down.

What does trickle mean?

Loading editor
    • It means a little bit of the money might make it down to the admin/editor level, but never as actual $, but some item or ticket to an event or gift card or something.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.