FANDOM

• Hi,

I'm having trouble with the export/import process. When I try to upload my previously-downloaded *.xml file (370MB, ex Wikipedia) I get the following error:

"Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Backend fetch failed

Guru Meditation:

XID: 633462975"

What does this mean, and/or how do I resolve it?

The site I'm trying to build is https://australian-railways.fandom.com ; it will start as a copy of the relevant Wiki pages but I'm setting it up with slightly different rules regarding verifiability of sources and an emphasis on enthusiast content over general public content.

Thanks,

DS

Loading editor
    • You best bet is to ask staff directly at Special:Contact.

Loading editor
    • FYI many templates from Wikipedia don't work on FANDOM, so you will likely see many more errors after the import works.

Loading editor
    • Even though Wikipedia and FANDOM/Wikia both use MediaWiki platforms, they are *divergent* versions. Think of US Standard measurements vs Metric. Nuts, bolts, etc in each do the SAME jobs, but you cannot use a Metric nut on a Standard screw.

Add to that each version has customizations, and yeah, mixing-n-matching becomes problematic.

Loading editor
    • You might want to check if it is a compatibility problem or a problem with imports in general. To do this, just make a dummy page (or use a random page) on some other wiki and try to import it to your wiki.

Loading editor
    • The US vs Metric analogy is not a very good one, because they were never part of the same standard.

This is a bit geeky, but it's more like Ubuntu and Debian versions of Linux... Ubuntu was based off of Debian, but now they are very different. FANDOM was based off an old version of the MediaWiki engine also used by Wikipedia years ago.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: You might want to check if it is a compatibility problem or a problem with imports in general. To do this, just make a dummy page (or use a random page) on some other wiki and try to import it to your wiki.

Thanks for the idea. I grabbed a random page from here and imported it, and that worked fine. However, using a smaller ex-Wikipedia XML file (<1MB instead of 370MB) worked in Firefox but not in Chrome (it froze at 7% upload). This implies file size could be one of the limiting factors. How do I check and/or modify that?

Loading editor
    • Well, you can't modify it. However, you could try to find a similarly sized page from a FANDOM wiki and test using that. Out of curiosity, what is the size of the page FANDOM page you tested with?

Loading editor
    • Looks like the (practical) limit for uploading is somewhere between 2MB and 4MB. That represents a significant challenge for me because there are literally thousands of pages I need to copy across.

Loading editor
    • Easiest method might be to use the Wiki export function to generate a list of all the pages, save that as a text file and cut from there into a separate export page in small slices at a time.

Loading editor
    • I find it hard to believe Wikipedia has thousands of pages about Austrailian railways. Regardless, your idea sounds like the best course of action to me.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.