FANDOM

• Here are the release notes for Fandom's code release scheduled for September 11, 2019:

Loading editor
    • I finally took a look at the Analytics dashboard. Very interesting. The wiki I admin apparently has way more views than I would have guessed given the lack of editors (just me at this point) and that the game has been closed for nearly 4 years now.

Loading editor
    • I like the second feature very much. I was waiting for it!

Loading editor
    • Glad they added the Analytics dashboard, makes finding it so much easier.

Loading editor
    • Thanks for the easy link access for analytics. The special page was at the bottom of the page in the advanced view.

Loading editor
    • My only issue with this is that it separates the default CSS button from the JavaScript button (which is added to individual wikis through a dev script) but maybe someday a developer may find a way to address that.

Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote: My only issue with this is that it separates the default CSS button from the JavaScript button (which is added to individual wikis through a dev script) but maybe someday a developer may find a way to address that.

I have made the appropriate changes here: w:c:dev:Special:Diff/123186.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz wrote:

C.Syde65 wrote: My only issue with this is that it separates the default CSS button from the JavaScript button (which is added to individual wikis through a dev script) but maybe someday a developer may find a way to address that.

I have made the appropriate changes here: w:c:dev:Special:Diff/123186.

Excellent! :D

Loading editor
    • So, over the weekend, the analytics dashboard went from displaying Chrome, Safari, Other to displaying Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Other. Does anyone know if Firefox views prior to this change are included in the Other or Firefox count?

Loading editor
    • Since it’s come out Firefox has occasionally been displayed in Analytics, my guess would be that the number of Firefox viewers rose on your particular Wiki.

Loading editor
    • Interesting. For me, it only showed starting this weekend. Still not quite an answer not my question though.

Loading editor
    • My guess is that there was no change. If a particular browser is not popular enough, it will automatically be grouped with "other" for better clarity.

Loading editor
    • Okay, so let me see if I am understanding correctly by fabricating a shortened simplified example:

Day Other Count Firefox Count Displayed Other Displayed Firefox
      1 1000 3 1003 NA
      2 1000 10 1010 NA
      3 1000 11 1000 11
      4 1000 32 1000 32
      5 1000 9 1009 NA
        Loading editor
    • I don't have exact ratios that are used as cutoff points, but your simplification would work, if we also assume that the total count (that is: all browsers, including the popular ones) stays the same.

Now let's assume 5% is the cutoff point, "Chrome" will represent one super popular browser that always appear in the stats; "Firefox" this time will represent a browser that has a small group of regularly returning, consistent users; and "Hipsters" are people using various other browsers.

DayChrome Count (and displayed)Firefox CountHipsters CountTotal CountDisplayed FirefoxDisplayed Other
      2194050102000NA60

What happened here? Even though the number of Firefox users and hipsters stayed exactly the same, a ton more Chrome users decided to visit the wiki. This alone caused the Firefox percentage to drop from 10% of total users to a mere 2.5%. Since it dropped below (our hypothetical) 5% cutoff point, it was then added to the hipsters group and displayed together as "Other". If more Firefox users appear or some users of different browsers stop visiting, Firefox will once again be displayed as normal.

Loading editor
    • Okay, so it sounds like I am following you at this point. Just one thing about your example. On both days, the "other" count doesn't meet the 5% cuttoff. So wouldn't it also not be displayed? I ask because the sessions-by-device chart always lists the "other" category in the legend but never actually displays it. Therefore, I am assuming that "other" is also subject to the cutoff requirement.

Edit:

FYI, while Firefox did appear on the chart, it was at 1%.

Loading editor
    • I guess in the "Sessions by device" you only see desktop, mobile, and tablets. Well, those are really the only relevant web browsing devices in today's world, so even if you have visits from other devices, their share is so minuscule that you can't even see the "other" slice with the naked eye.

"5%" was just an example. I don't know the actual cutoff that is used. The "other" category is exempted from this cutoff and always appears. Its entire purpose is to group everything else that didn't exceed the cutoff.

Loading editor
    • Okay. I'll take your word on the "other" slice. For the devices chart, it is always too small to see (as you said, one would expect it to be 0%). As for the browser chart, it hovers between 25% and 33% for my wiki. So I guess I don't have much of a basis for judging whether or not it is subject ot the cutoff.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.