FANDOM

• Love Robin
    Love Robin closed this thread because:
    done
    18:19, September 9, 2019

I know an underaged user on fandom and I have proof of them being underaged but I don't know how to report them. Please help!

Loading editor
    • You can contact Fandom Staff to report that!

Loading editor
    • thanks!

Loading editor
    • Just so you know, you are not obligated to report them. I just wanted to put that out there because there has been at least one user in the recent past who was afraid they would get in trouble if they didn't report underaged users. IN other words, whether or not you report them is entirely up to you. Since it is a violation of the ToU, others can't justify getting upset if you do report it. On the other hand, if you feel uncomfortable doing so, you are not obligated to.

Loading editor
    • they have violated many rules and have admitted of being underaged. I think it's for the best.

Loading editor
    • Alright then. Fact is, Staffs don't go hunting for underaged users, but whenever it's brought to their attention, they are required by law (see here) to disable underaged users (Whether they want to or not) But as Andrew said, others are not obligated.

Loading editor
    • You don't have to report him because you're not part of Staff. Just forget about him, sit back, and relax.

Loading editor
    • Well, he mentioned the user was breaking multiple rules/being disruptive, so that's reason enough in itself.

Loading editor
    • It's still none of the person's business. Not everyone reports bad people they see. Personally I just forget about them and relax.

Loading editor
    • do you mean staff by fandom staff?

Loading editor
    • Yes. They're out for the weekend, but should be back tomorrow. Just remember to include actual links to where they mentioned the age - Screenshots don't always work since they can easily be edited.

Loading editor
    • Love Robin
      Love Robin removed this reply because:
      intimidating behavior
      14:54, September 8, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • oh really? oops. i'll send a link to the page where they admitted

Loading editor
    • I know that some wikis refer to admins as "staff". However, just for future reference, on this wiki, we typically refer to admins (usually regular users who voluntarily help a wiki and have been given special pemrissions on that particular wiki) as admins and Wikia staff (people employed and payed by Wikia and given special permissions accross all wikis) as staff. That is the terminology consistant with the user group names and provides distinction since both groups are mentioned fairly often on this wiki.

Loading editor
    • DudemasterAJ wrote: do you mean staff by fandom staff?

Yes I do (sorry for late reply)

Loading editor
    • You can contact Fandom staff, and report them to local admins so they'll block them.

IMO, a lot of users take COPPA seriously, but they shouldn't and I'll explain why. Many 10 to 12 year olds use social media, even though they're not legally supposed to (I know their parents can give the company consent by sending a parental consent form but who the hell would do that?) 

I also bent the rules back in the 2000s (When COPPA was created - in 2000). I created a Wikia account (Not this one, a former account that I disabled because the username makes me cringe) when I was only 11 years of age, in 2008. That COPPA law didn't stop me, so its goal is a tremendous failure. Because that was a little more than a decade ago, I got away with it and nothing happened. 

Loading editor
    • RedIgnite wrote: ...

IMO, a lot of users take COPPA seriously, but they shouldn't and I'll explain why. ...

The reason is simple. COPPA doesn't require users to police each other. COPPA places the responsability with the company that owns the website.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

RedIgnite wrote: ...

IMO, a lot of users take COPPA seriously, but they shouldn't and I'll explain why. ...

The reason is simple. COPPA doesn't require users to police each other. COPPA places the responsability with the company that owns the website.

I know, but I'm just saying that the law is a huge failure, it's garbage. The company can't know if the user is indeed under 13, they need proof that he or she is underage but it's impossible to correctly guess their age unless the kid decides to take the cat out of the bag and reveal their actual age. 

Loading editor
    • Not sure about the wording of the actual law. However, the effective law is that when the company has reason to suspect that a user is underaged and they do not have express consent of the legal guardien to collect information on the user, they must not collect information. For Wikia, this means disabling the account since pretty much everything is logged.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Not sure about the wording of the actual law. However, the effective law is that when the company has reason to suspect that a user is underaged and they do not have express consent of the legal guardien to collect information on the user, they must not collect information. For Wikia, this means disabling the account since pretty much everything is logged.

Yeah, but there are some laws that most people break, like speeding. 

Loading editor
    • Here's a main consideration in this situation. The reason why ONLY contact Fandom Staff should be used is because the INTENTION of COPPA is the *Protection* of the underaged. Who often don't know about the law, and are excited to be online with their own account like a Grown Up.

PUTTING THEM ON BLAST by posting *anywhere* what is basically "HERE's ANOTHER ONE!!" is not protecting them. It is spotlighting someone who deserves our protection instead by pointing them out for ALL to see.

So contact Fandom Staff any reports where it is discussed discreetly.

Loading editor
    • In addition, The main reason for the COPPA law is because underaged users are more likely to give out private information. If they keep their age private, they should be smart enough to keep everything else private as well... but if they give out their age, it shows they are more likely to give out even more private info, and they get disabled.

Loading editor
    • TortoiseCat5 wrote: In addition, The main reason for the COPPA law is because underaged users are more likely to give out private information. If they keep their age private, they should be smart enough to keep everything else private as well... but if they give out their age, it shows they are more likely to give out even more private info, and they get disabled.

But the majority of them don’t reveal their age. Just because they’re kids doesn’t mean they’re stupid. Some know a way around things and in this particular case it’s COPPA.

Loading editor
    • aaaa don't argue

it was just a question guys aaa

Loading editor
    • All underage users deserve to have their accounts disabled (even moreso when being disruptive). They are immature, naive and often cause more bad things than good.

Loading editor
    • Wow, this thread devolved fast. It wouldn't surprise me if half the contributors here were under age users when they started.

Loading editor
    • The first reply should have been the end of it.

Loading editor
    • closing

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.