FANDOM

• Hi!

I'm trying to figure out how to change the font type for a single word. Currently, I'm working on a CharPortal on my Wikia and want the different types of characters to have a different font than the generic "Characters" font. I tried changing it via "span style=font-family: 'font type here'" with no luck. How can I make the font style show through?

Also, my second question, what fonts are able to be used on articles in this way?

Sorry if my question doesn't make sense, I'm still learning about this stuff.

Thanks!

Jillian

Wikia

Loading editor
    • It's

<span style=font-family:font type here>Some words here</span>

If the font you are choosing is not available by default on Fandom (default fonts available include Comic Sans MS, Arial, Times New Roman, Rubik, etc.), you can choose a Google Font that you desire to use and import that Google Font in your site-wide CSS.

Loading editor
    • Okay, that makes sense. I think I had the coding wrong. However, now when I try to do it the correct font isn't showing through. For instance, I did Comic Sans MS and it looks like:

TIB Font-change

circled is the font: not Comic Sans MS

I inserted the coding that you provided.

Loading editor
    • Seems to work for me. What exactly did you put when you tested it? It should be something like this:

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS';">Some words here</span>

Edit:

Using the double quotes is best practice when assigning HTML attributes and using the single quotes around the font is best practice for font names with spaces in them. In a CSS stylesheet you could use either single or double quotes to surround the font name but since the double quotes are reserved for HTML, you have to use the single quotes in this case.

Loading editor
    • Yep, I forgot to put the apostrophe around the font family. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

Loading editor
    • I don't think the single quotes are necessary, but they don't hurt unless they are unbalanced.

FYI, you can put fall back fonts, if a font doesn't exist for some reason like this:

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS, Comic Sans, sans-serif;">Some words here</span>

In the code above, it will check for 'Comic Sans MS', fall back to just 'Comic Sans', and then to sans-serif.

Loading editor
    • FYI, the single quotes aren't necessary, they are best practice. That is what I said in my post and as far as I know it is a true statement.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.