FANDOM

• Love Robin
    Love Robin closed this thread because:
    Answered and advised.
    02:14, September 4, 2019

I was wondering... how come Fandom/Wikia doesn't allow at least 2 or 3 name changes? I know that there are issues with transferring data and it can be hard to do it, but I personally don't think being able to change your username at least 2 times would cause that many problems with data transferring. It's better than forcing someone to create a new account and start all over again over not being able to change their names again.

Loading editor
    • Agreed, I came up with this name when I was an emo child, I don't appreciate the inability to change it....

Also they should throw in a button that plays a cat sound.

Loading editor
    • There are technical limitations which keep FANDOM from offering more than one "free" name change. It's something similar to how Redirects should not point/daisychain to Redirects. It causes problems. With a server farm running over 300K wikias, you might imagine how problematic things can get.

Loading editor
    • Love Robin wrote:
      There are technical limitations which keep FANDOM from offering more than one "free" name change. It's something similar to how Redirects should not point/daisychain to Redirects. It causes problems. With a server farm running over 300K wikias, you might imagine how problematic things can get.

I must ask... when you mentioned "free", what exactly did you mean by that?

Also, I understand. Hopefully someday in the future you guys can allowed more than one username change. :)

Loading editor
    • Time to warp whistle out of here

Loading editor
    • PuNnTaNG wrote:

Hopefully someday in the future you guys can allowed more than one username change. :)

The "you guys" are not reading these forums. So you're basically talking to an empty space.

To ask FANDOM staff, you need to use the "Contact us" Zendesk form.

Loading editor
    • We are actually reading these. We just had no reason to dispute what Love Robin said, as it is true.

Loading editor
    • PuNnTaNG wrote: I must ask... when you mentioned "free", what exactly did you mean by that?

"Free" is in quotes because it is not related to anything monetary. Mainly, "free from entanglements" or "without strings".

Loading editor
    • FishTank wrote:

We are actually reading these. We just had no reason to dispute what Love Robin said, as it is true.

Seems like "these" is a very undefined term. Will FANDOM staff allow us to tag posts for their review like we did in the past?

Loading editor
    • I'm like the weird comical relief that takes away from the drama with my hilarious antics when stuff gets too tough, I'm here for creepos like me who are reading other people's interactions

Loading editor
    • If you changed your username once but want to change it again create a new account but don't tell anyone that it's actually the same as your original account!

Loading editor
    • I don't think it is really the redirects that are the problem. They could come up with some script that just goes through and points them all to a single new page. The issue, as far as I can see is abuse. In order to make sure different users aren't confused, renaming your account doesn't release your old name. Say I change my name to Andrewds1022. A new user would still be blocked from creating a new account as Andrewds1021. If they allowed infinite renames, then someone could just go through with a bot and take up all the remaining usernames. Now, I know you aren't asking for unlimited changes, but the limit has to be set to something. By limiting it to 1, Wikia is discouraging the use of names people know they will want to change later anyways. For example, "PewDiePie hit 100 mil that's amazing". What happens with PewDiePie gets 101M subscribers? 102M? 103M? 104M? 105M? 106M? 107M? ... 200M? 201M? 202M? 203M? 204M? ...

Loading editor
    • ChechnyasBestInternet
      ChechnyasBestInternet removed this reply because:
      Read "I don't find it offensive..."
      02:29, August 28, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • I used your name as an example because it was there and easy. I have no idea what you actual intentons are nor do I wish to pretend I do. My apologies if you somehow found it offensive.

Loading editor
    • I don't find it offensive. I'm totally okay with you using my name as an example. I just laugh super duper often.

Loading editor
    • PewDiePie hit 100 mil that's amazing wrote: If you changed your username once but want to change it again create a new account but don't tell anyone that it's actually the same as your original account!

There is nothing wrong with having more than one Account so long as they are not used in negative fashion (trolling, sockpuppeting, various shenanegans, block evasion). In fact, the more open one is about being the same user behind varied usernames, the better.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: I don't think it is really the redirects that are the problem. They could come up with some script that just goes through and points them all to a single new page. The issue, as far as I can see is abuse. In order to make sure different users aren't confused, renaming your account doesn't release your old name. Say I change my name to Andrewds1022. A new user would still be blocked from creating a new account as Andrewds1021. If they allowed infinite renames, then someone could just go through with a bot and take up all the remaining usernames. Now, I know you aren't asking for unlimited changes, but the limit has to be set to something. By limiting it to 1, Wikia is discouraging the use of names people know they will want to change later anyways. For example, "PewDiePie hit 100 mil that's amazing". What happens with PewDiePie gets 101M subscribers? 102M? 103M? 104M? 105M? 106M? 107M? ... 200M? 201M? 202M? 203M? 204M? ...

That works for all pages. Just not... for message walls. We're stuck with an unfixable double redirect for Ripto/Icier, and probably aren't the only one. Okay, it's not really a problem because noone goes to that page, but I like empty Special Pages so that just annoys me.

Loading editor
    • From what I can tell, the message walls don't redirect at all. Sure, there was the issue with Icier's userid getting stripped from al the comment page names. But I would expect that they would have fixed that by now.

Loading editor
    • Nope, they haven't fixed that. Message Wall:Ripto22475 (edit) →‎ Message Wall:Riptoze →‎ Message Wall:Icier

Loading editor
    • I think that might just be here on CC. another wiki

Loading editor
    • Nope.

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • Well, that doesn't seem to be the case everywhere. See this.

That is their user page , not the message wall.

Loading editor
    • Maybe it's got to do with having had wall messages under that name? Who knows.

Probably noone, my ticket's been asleep since forever.

Loading editor
    • I suppose that is possible. Although, the indivudal comments aren't stored in the Message Wall namespace.

Loading editor
    • ChechnyasBestInternet
      ChechnyasBestInternet removed this reply because:
      Fandyllic
      00:36, August 31, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • The state of a wiki after a username move depends highly on when the wiki was created. If it was created after the username move, it proves nothing, since the problem was likely to be related to existing wikis.

Loading editor
    • PewDiePie hit 100 mil that's amazing wrote: Another example:

https://bloons.fandom.com/wiki/User:Ripto22475

I understand tho that it only proves 0.01% of the fandoms having a userpage move after an account rename.

This is irrelevant. You are linking to the user page. We are talking about teh message wall. They are not the same thing.

Loading editor
    • Well, message walls actually usually aren't moved when a user is renamed. Why? Because message walls aren't actual pages so they cannot be actually moved. If they were REAL, editable pages like the userpage THEN they would be moveable. Here's the thing: what is being moved is NOT the message walls themselves is's the THREADS on the user's message wall. If there are no threads on the user's message wall, then it won't redirect at all!

Loading editor
    • Well, what really is happening is Message Walls weren't coded with the idea of user rename in mind, prob bcuz of bad or no QA.

Loading editor
    • SOunds like an issue with wikia's design in general

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021, there you go. Read Fandyllic's answer and you will understand why message walls aren't being moved!!

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 knows that and his point is still valid. Your link was irrelevant.

Loading editor
    • PewDiePie hit 100 mil that's amazing, I am well aware (as far as end users are concerned) of how Message Walls and the other thread-based discussion features work. The point we were debating is whether or not renaming an account redirects the walls as well. Tupka217 provided clear examples where the message walls were redirected and I have examples where they were not. Regarding the renaming of the actual comments, yes, you are correct in that the individual pages storing them need to be renamed. However, with the implementation of the user rename tool, Wikia also changed how the comments are stored (and retroactively renamed all comment pages accross the entire farm). By switching from using the username to the userid, they have significantly minimized the work required. Blog, article, and Forum comments no longer need to be renamed when a user changes their username. The only need for renaming is for Message Wall comments posted on the user's message wall. They need to be moved from "Thread:OldUsername/comment_title" to "Thread:NewUsername/comment_title".

Regardless, I would still imagine that however they redirect the message walls in the cases Tupka217 presented, they could redo it to have them all point to the same page as opposed to chaining them. The fact that they don't does indicate the potential for some lack of deep thought into the process on Wikia's part as it isn't too hard to find out if a message wall has links pointing to it. Then again, as Fandyllic said, Message Walls proably weren't coded with renming in mind. So that might have something to do with it as well.

Loading editor
    • Guess who's still here and who's existence is still meaningless?

Loading editor
    • ^?

Loading editor
    • I don't know what that means. Yes?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllics pointing to your post to reask your question.

Loading editor
    • I'm closing this as answered.

Soul huntre, if you have something significant to say, either open a Blog, or feel free to chat on my wall.

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.