FANDOM

• I don't know if this is the place for this or not but I have an issue. I am the owner of a wiki, but I am the only one taking care of it. I need to get some admins that can take care of the wiki when I am not available. There are constant issues with trolls messing things up and I need to know that the wiki is safe when I'm not there. Anybody have tips for choosing admins?

Loading editor
    • In the past, I've looked around when I needed admins to see who was making good contributions on a regular basis. They may have only been around for a few weeks, but you can get a good idea if they mean well. Perhaps just as important is making sure you can continue to work with them after downtime.

If you're running a small wiki, it's not unheard of to reach out to users on similar wikis to 'help out' if they have some time. I've been an admin in the past on wikis that I am not familiar with the source material, but most vandalism can be quite obvious.

Loading editor
    • What Wiki is this? Is it active? 

Loading editor
    • Doesn't appear to be active at the moment, but it is still there:

https://megamanteams.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

https://megamanteams.fandom.com/wiki/User:Buckimion

Loading editor
    • Buckimion wrote:
      Doesn't appear to be active at the moment, but it is still there:

https://megamanteams.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

https://megamanteams.fandom.com/wiki/User:Buckimion

If all of the admins and bureaucrats are inactive, then OP can adopt the Wiki by contacting Fandom staff here.

Loading editor
    • Sorry, I think one of us misunderstood. I'm pretty sure he has a wiki already and wanted to know about promoting admins to help out during his 'downtime'. I pointed out that while it is always preferred to promote regular users, it isn't unheard of to reach out to good users elsewhere for vandalism help. I thought you were wanting to know where such an event occured.

Loading editor
    • Buckimion wrote:
      Sorry, I think one of us misunderstood. I'm pretty sure he has a wiki already and wanted to know about promoting admins to help out during his 'downtime'. I pointed out that while it is always preferred to promote regular users, it isn't unheard of to reach out to good users elsewhere for vandalism help. I thought you were wanting to know where such an event occured.

Oh f**k, sorry I meant to post that on a different thread XD. I pasted without reading, my mistake. 

Loading editor
    • It is the Larva Animation Wiki. At one point it was overrun by trolls and now they are trying to exact revenge on me for stopping them.

Loading editor
    • Billybobjoe111 wrote: It is the Larva Animation Wiki. At one point it was overrun by trolls and now they are trying to exact revenge on me for stopping them.

Welcome to the admin world.

It is fun to have power, but a huge pain in the ass to deal with irritating users.

Loading editor
    • RedIgnite wrote:

Billybobjoe111 wrote: It is the Larva Animation Wiki. At one point it was overrun by trolls and now they are trying to exact revenge on me for stopping them.

It is fun to have power, but a huge pain in the ass to deal with irritating users.

So true. I need more admins because I cannot deal with this alone.

Loading editor
    • The issue has come to the point where I can't take care of it all by myself.

Loading editor
    • Billybobjoe111 wrote:
      RedIgnite wrote:

Billybobjoe111 wrote: It is the Larva Animation Wiki. At one point it was overrun by trolls and now they are trying to exact revenge on me for stopping them.

So true. I need more admins because I cannot deal with this alone.

Here is my suggestion (You don't have to take my word for it, but it's only a suggestion):

Find an active editor with a sufficient edit count and ask if they're interested in becoming a rollbacker. A rollbacker is a staff member who is given the Rollback tool so they can revert all of a vandal's edit instead of undoing each and every one of them. If they agree to be a rollbacker, in my Wiki, if you're inexperienced, we'd put you in probation so what we would do is montior their edits for a period of 3 months. When 3 months has passed, you can decide for yourself if you think the rollbacker can be promoted to admin. 

Loading editor
    • A very workable and sensible solution.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.