FANDOM

• How can I remove a Manager from a Wiki?

Loading editor
    • You technically can't remove a Wiki Manager from a wiki. They are there "managing" the wiki as requested by Fandom Staff. I guess you could contact staff or that wiki manager to discuss any issues.

Loading editor
    • My understanding is that Managers are basically official helpers assigned specific wikis. If you don't want them to do anything, they probably won't; aside from perhaps correcting any policy violations. It is also my understanding that they are not "requested by Fandom Staff" but actually are staff. As Harrypotterexpert101 said, assignments are managed by Wikia so if you really have an issue with it, you should contact staff directly. In some other thread, a user claimed that all wikis will eventually get one. That seems to me to be a baseless claim as it seems impractical and I have yet to see any such official statement.

Loading editor
    • Yes, they basically are volunteers that have Staff rights for that designated wiki (as I understand it).

Loading editor
    • According to the help page, they are part-time staff. So I guess that means to do get paid but aren't quite at the same employment level as regular staff like Kirkburn. I believe this page lists all of the global groups that are comprised primarily of volunteers.

Loading editor
    • It's just that I saw that a user commented that Fandom is ignoring the autonomy of the admins, so he left. I removed that thread.

Loading editor
    • Unless he was an admin, that seems pointless. Even if he was, he seems to be misinformed about what a Wiki Manager is.

Loading editor
    • Sorry to hijack, but quick related question. How does the hierarchy work? Like say not ToS are broken, but x bureaucrat wants to do something one way and x wiki manager wants to do something the opposite way - who gets ultimate say? Because if it's the manager, it does feel like they're taking over. Like a bureaucrat-plus.

Loading editor
    • My understanding is that, barring any policy/legal issues, the local bureaucrats/admin have final say. That is generally how things have worked in the past and there has been no indication that the Wiki Manager user group is intended to change it. My understanding is that Wiki Managers are supposed to be an official version of volunteers. What I mean by this is, what some wikis would previously ask for help with on here, the dev wiki, the portability wiki, etc., they can now take directly to a specific staff member. The major benefit being that you have someone who is consistently involved in helping your wiki rather than just throwing the problem out there and waiting to see who, if anyone, decides to help you.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Unless he was an admin, that seems pointless. Even if he was, he seems to be misinformed about what a Wiki Manager is.

Uh... no. He wasn't an admin, just a user who left. He had an IP number.

Loading editor
    • Well, if they didn't even have a registered account, I wouldn't give their opinion too much weight.

Loading editor
    • Ah, I see.

(That's my problem, I give opinions too much weight...)

Loading editor
    • Yes, if it an IP user I wouldn't make too much of a hassle. Now if it was an administrator or bureaucrat that resigned in protest I would probably look into it more.

Loading editor
    • It's really hard to judge the situation without links to things that are being mentioned or at least name names.

My default is to side with the Wiki Manager, because they have the backing of FANDOM, but specifics could change my mind.

Wiki admins and bureaucrats have the illusion of autonomy, but trust me, the Oasis Wars taught us otherwise.

Loading editor
    • Well, as has been said in multiple places, The Wiki Managers do not outrank local admins. They aren't in charge, just helping out. Obviously, exceptions to this would include if the admin's choices violate ToU, in which case the Wiki Manager would let Staffs know.

Loading editor
    • We don't even know what was done... without specifics most of the arguments are pointless.

Loading editor
    • We don't even know if the original complaint (relayed to us by Labrain13) was based on an actual incident or just another case of a user reacting to the idea. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a user formed opinions before actually trying things out. I am not blaming the anon since most of us have done it ourselves (probably). I am just saying there might not be any specifics to report.

Loading editor
    • Giving anons too much attention is almost always a waste of time... especially if their IP ends with 217 (this is a joke).

Loading editor
    • Bottom line, if you have a Wiki Manager, unless and until they cause you an issue, worrying about removing them is premature.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.