FANDOM

• Creating some new licensing templates for manga and anime content would be good, like on this MultiUploader the drop down arrow on Licensing allows different ones to be added and they also add categories to an image.

Licenses like this that can use up to date licensing templates like here would be helpful. Imagine it is a case of creating those and then using switch parser functions to also add "Fair use" and other required categories when the template is added to an image, that would be useful to include on the Given Wiki.

Loading editor
    • and the question is...

Loading editor
    • Take a wild guess! How would updated licensing templates be created and how could they be added so they appear here under Licensing where they would also add categories to images? Think I mostly need help with adapting this (seen in source mode) to be included on the Given Wiki, please and thank you.

Loading editor
    • create a template, like
      here is fair use file. [[categoy:fair use]]

then go to MediaWiki:Licenses and add the template. read File_copyright_tags for further information.

Loading editor
    • You can look at Templates wiki for many licensing templates that are already created. See Category:Image license templates.

Loading editor
    • Thank you, was feeling fancy and thought rather than a generic copyright template that may not explain much, could this one be updated and used? Like wikia changed to Fandom and legally it is an accurate licensing template to explain that content is being shared for informative purposes and so forth, an exact indication of fair use.

Once the templates are made are all the switch functions like {{#switch:{{{1|}}} all good and ready to copy from here and use on the Given Wiki?

Loading editor
    • That is one of the stranger fair use templates... where did you get it (Animanga wiki deleted theirs)? It says "blanket Fairuse categories listed" and then links to itself.

I wouldn't use that template on any wiki I admin, because it looks pretty frankenstein-y and is several other problems (a link labelled Animipedia that goes to the Owari no Seraph wiki where it lives, links to a blank page for Fairuse policy, and is you mentioned still talks about Wikia, but links to the new About Fandom page).

Loading editor
    • Should it be updated? Oh yes, seems to be from the Animanga Wiki but could have also been from the One Piece Wiki, but what's good is both the design and additional information, once updated makes it a good informative licensing template where all these links could be sorted out as well.

Loading editor
    • It vaguely looks like the One Piece wiki version, but Owari no Seraph wiki version is so bad as to make the design irrelevant.

Loading editor
    • So what you are trying to tell me is that the One Piece version is the most up to date and appropriate licensing template to adapt as a relevant update for the Seraph of the End Wiki and others?

Further, that manga, anime and so forth, designs can be included with the switch features that will allow the categories to be added as well?

Loading editor
    • The One Piece version is way better, there's no doubt about it 

Loading editor
    • S3r0-Ph1i wrote:

So what you are trying to tell me is that the One Piece version is the most up to date and appropriate licensing template to adapt as a relevant update for the Seraph of the End Wiki and others?

No, but the One Piece version is a far better basis than the Owari no Seraph version.

S3r0-Ph1i wrote:

Further, that manga, anime and so forth, designs can be included with the switch features that will allow the categories to be added as well?

Also no. I actually never talked about adding switch features. Assuming you are using a very general fair use definition or the various aspects apply to both anime, manga, or other media, there isn't really a need for a switch. You mentioned adding a switch, but not really any details as to why it should be done or why it was needed.

Whatever you do, don't use the current Owari no Seraph Fairuse template as a basis to spread to other anime wikis (or any other wiki). It is one of the worst fair use templates I've ever seen.

Loading editor
    • Shivaa95 wrote:
      The One Piece version is way better, there's no doubt about it 

An eagerness with a sense of urgency to choose another design, from descriptions ranging from “frankenstein-y” to this beauty:

Fandyllic wrote:

Whatever you do, don't use the current Owari no Seraph Fairuse template as a basis to spread to other anime wikis (or any other wiki). It is one of the worst fair use templates I've ever seen.

Are people like recoiling in horror at this template?! Sounds like it needs to be quarantined or something XD

Still all the better it was brought here, setting it on fire and putting it out with a crowbar could yield an extreme makeover result, and yet I feel that the lovely Seraph of the End green should do the trick.

There needs to be a different one for anime, like this “To illustrate the Seraph of the End anime”, manga, and so forth. Rather than a general fair use template, one for each of the source material would be best.

The switch would allow these templates to appear all under the general Fairuse template (that can still be used somewhere) with each one underneath so they can be chosen and applied to an image when uploaded, and also add categories to the image as well.

So the individual templates just need to be updated, any unneeded links removed/de-frankensteined then it can all be copied and added to other unsuspecting wikis? - Just kidding about that part, once it’s nice and perfect it’s good to be shared. So long as the licensing information is enough and the switch can work if copied to another wiki.

Loading editor
    • S3r0-Ph1i wrote:

There needs to be a different one for anime, like this “To illustrate the Seraph of the End anime”, manga, and so forth. Rather than a general fair use template, one for each of the source material would be best.

This still seems to be an assertion without evidence. What is the reason for needing separate fair use templates or variations? I still don't understand why. I'm guessing you like the idea of it, but you don't know why you need it.

I would focus on making a good general purpose fair use template and then think about variations after. You also keep linking to the Owari no Seraph version without actually fixing it.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.