FANDOM

• What does this term mean officially and why is it a reason that can be used for protecting articles? (Not native English speaker, maybe the answer should be obvious from the name)

Loading editor
    • It has no official meaning. It generally means pages that expect to have the most traffic on a wiki, like the main page or the primary page for the topic, like the The Expanse page for the the 'The Expanse series of books/TV show.

High traffic pages tend to be targets for vandalism, because the vandal expects their vandalism to be seen by more people.

Loading editor
    • Yeah. That's typically why pages (such as the main page and highly viewed articles) are protected in some sort of way.

Loading editor
    • Would that mean that it makes no sense to use this reason for protecting a page that does not exist? If yes, whats the proper reason to add while protecting nonexistent articles?

Loading editor
    • It could just be a misclick. The protect reasons are in a dropdown menu, they might just’ve clicked the weing one.

Loading editor
    • no, it seems to have been done regularly

Loading editor
    • Aprogergely wrote:
      no, it seems to have been done regularly

There's different levels of protection. 

If they've just stopped logged-out users editing, it might just be that the wiki has had a lot of vandalism in the past, and they're preempting any trouble. If they've set it to only staff that can edit, without it being a temporary measure, that's against the ToS (I believe). I think regularly protecting pages against signed-out users is normal, to be honest 

Loading editor
    • oh, then, what reason would you suggest they give instead? I feel like "high traffic page" might not be the best one

Edit: I think they made it so that only staff can edit, but only lasts 3 months so its a temporary measure

Loading editor
    • It might be good to protect a "high traffic page" if it hasn't been created yet. There are pages that have been created a lot in the past, but have been deleted every time. Those pages could be considered "high traffic" even though they don't exist.

Loading editor
    • well, as far as I know, most of these never existed, but its true that it would not be out of the question for a potential vandal to create a page with that title, and that they would then be forced to delete it.

Loading editor
    • Another thing to note: Clever vandals will move/rename a page a bunch of times so you have to follow the redirect trail and delete all the redirects. So, to prevent that, it is usually a good idea to protect a page from move/rename (second section of Protect page UI) and editing.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.