FANDOM

• Good afternoon. I want to change url in my wikia. My wikia now has url. female-characters-in-media.fandom.com I want to change to a new one femalecharactersinmedia.fandom.com. Just remove the line between words. Could someone help me? 
    Here is a link to my wiki.[[1]]

Loading editor
    • Use Special:Contact for this.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:
      Use Special:Contact for this.

Thank you for the consultation.

Loading editor
    • You should also make sure you get a redirect from female-characters-in-media.fandom.com to femalecharactersinmedia.fandom.com

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      You should also make sure you get a redirect from female-characters-in-media.fandom.com to femalecharactersinmedia.fandom.com

Good morning. I just tried the old url and it automatically redirects me to the new one in my wikia. Thanks for the advice.

Loading editor
    • You can request redirects from other subdomains to your wiki if they aren't taken and make sense. You could probably ask for fcim.fandom.com, mediafemalecharacters.fandom.com, etc.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      You can request redirects from other subdomains to your wiki if they aren't taken and make sense. You could probably ask for fcim.fandom.com, mediafemalecharacters.fandom.com, etc.

I do not know if I need other subdomains. Maybe I should leave everything as it is. What if other people want to create a wikia with a similar name?

Loading editor
    • LipstickLesbian wrote:

What if other people want to create a wikia with a similar name?

They would be warned. Your question actually revealed a bug in the wiki creation UI. If you try to create a wiki with the same name as a redirect, the suggestion link to edit there is somewhat wrong (adds unnecessary www. at the beginning).

I'll have to remember to report this.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

I think that the developers have already thought about this, but it is better to make a notification just in case.

Loading editor
    • LipstickLesbian wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:

I think that the developers have already thought about this, but it is better to make a notification just in case.

Why do you say this? Did a FANDOM staff mention something about this problem?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

It's just that usually developers try to prevent all problems. And they have a list of various problems that may arise. I always had such a list at my work.

Loading editor
    • You must not have much experience working at a software company... Developers list the bugs they found while developing the feature... sometimes. That in no way represents all the bugs in the feature. Proper software companies track bugs in a bug database with status and tons of other info. They also have a second level of check called Quality Assurance, but many companies are doing away with QA so they can get end users to test it for them. I'm pretty sure FANDOM is one of those companies.

FYI, you can believe me or not, but I've been working in the Silicon Valley for over 30 years and worked for Microsoft for 7 years among other jobs. I've also visited the FANDOM offices several times.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

I have no reason not to believe you. I work in a different profession. Thank you for the helpful information on the work of software companies. All countries have the same problems. Many companies do not want to do their job efficiently.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.