FANDOM

• I have been trying to use the correct accents especial if it is a branded name but now I am wondering would it hinder viewers when searching? I know the current in house search function isn't great and they are working on improving but is using the correct form of accents going to hurt my wiki more than help? of does it automatically recognize the non-accent related letter when one searches?

Does anyone know this is there a help page on this?

I was thinking of doing redirects but if I do that my wiki would be 1/3 or more of redirects. Which (side note) I really wish redirects wouldn't count as pages it gives a misleading number of article on a wiki -.-;

Loading editor
    • Would be interesting for me to know as well, for now I create redirects whenever there's an accent, but somewhere I'll get into the trouble of double definitions/needing to use the redirects for something else.

Loading editor
    • it's subject for special:contact.

Loading editor
    • Fngplg wrote: it's subject for special:contact.

No, sorry, if they are currently re-working their search function mentioned here and here. I see no reason in putting in a tedious ticket that they'll just say it's being reworked on anyways. And they aren't getting into the details anyways. I just might as well wait till they finish before I ticket.

I don't post in forums for just any reason, usually it is for those who might already know and in many cases very helpful users (who I get way more help from than any ticket I ever wrote) can provide quick and detailed information before the hour or before the end of the day is up - a ticket I might forget about by they time I get a response a day or days later. If I wanted to write a ticket I'd have written one, or said "before I write a ticket".

Loading editor
    • People are free to ask.

Wikitext considers accented and unaccented letters as distinct, IIRC. And it's alphabetized at the end.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: People are free to ask.

Wikitext considers accented and unaccented letters as distinct, IIRC. And it's alphabetized at the end.

Ah ok ty, depending on their improvements with search feature, redirects might be the best bet then. Which *ugh* do you know how many cosmetics are french named brands and products lines even with intended for English customers XD. Or nix out all accented characters to spare the headache.

I might have to have a think on this and then decide how to proceed.

Loading editor
    • Even though Wikipedia is a distinct entity from Wikia, FANDOM nonetheless follows many of their structural policies as Good Practices. So you may want to peruse:

Loading editor
    • Love Robin wrote: Even though Wikipedia is a distinct entity from Wikia, FANDOM nonetheless follows many of their structural policies as Good Practices. So you may want to peruse:

Oh this is very helpful! But my gawd my wiki us going to be a monster of redirect XD

Do you know if there is anyway to hide redirects from article count total?

Loading editor
    • One of the suggestions on the ENGLISH page is that in the lede (the initial paragraph before the TOC), mention all alternative spellings and presentations. In your case, both with and without diacritics. SEOs include the first so many words of a search result's lede.

Also, with local wiki search tools, results begin to autocomplete after the first 3 letters, so searchers are helped that way too.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.