FANDOM

• First off, what's check user? 

Loading editor
    • You're asking about obtaining something you don't even know what it is? Going to be *very* hard to get…

Loading editor
    • Very, very. I'm not sure if they still do it. But you probably have to be an admin at a big wiki facing a lot of vandalism who they can trust to not abuse it. Alternatively, become Staff, VSTF or IVT. But in those cases, you're only allowed to use it when relevant to your role.

Loading editor
    • In most cases, anyone asking for access to particular Tools or Roles is a majorly Red Flag against their getting them. Most Users *earn* promotions and tools from their actions more than asking. (although asking "how can I earn it" is okay since qualifications often vary by wikia.)

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: Very, very. I'm not sure if they still do it. But you probably have to be an admin at a big wiki facing a lot of vandalism who they can trust to not abuse it. Alternatively, become Staff, VSTF or IVT. But in those cases, you're only allowed to use it when relevant to your role.

In other words, you don't. It is a permission reserved mostly for specific global user groups with the following two exceptions:

1. Community Central admins
        In order to be a Community Central admin, you go through a vetting and recruitment process conducted/moderated by Wikia staff. It is similar to getting added to global user groups in that the process is closed-door and known only to those already in the group.
      2. All of the following are true: (speculation since this is also a closed-door process)
        • You are highly trusted by Wikia staff
        • You are highly trusted by the local wiki
        • You will/continue to use the power on the local wiki only
        • The local wiki is very large both in terms of content, viewership, and contributions
        • The local wiki has a large issue with repeat vandalism offenders to the point that no other existing method is sufficient

In other words, a local user getting the checkuser permission is an absolute last resort counter measure to extreme cases of vandalism.

Loading editor
    • They used to give out CheckUser Rights to trusted admins on larger wikis because they didn't have the staff at the time to do IP checks for everyone. After they got a larger group they stopped giving out the rights to users, but they didn't take them away from the users who already had them. I mean, the CCCrew has the rights, but then again it's Community Central we are talking about.

Loading editor
    • Harrypotterexpert101 wrote:

They used to give out CheckUser Rights to trusted admins on larger wikis because they didn't have the staff at the time to do IP checks for everyone. After they got a larger group they stopped giving out the rights to users, but they didn't take them away from the users who already had them. I mean, the CCCrew has the rights, but then again it's Community Central we are talking about.

Yup, this was true. They also used to give some admins bot enable rights on their wikis. However, the term "trusted admins" was never really defined. It was more like favoritism.

Loading editor
    • It was probably also something that was grandfathered in with early wiki acquisitions.

Loading editor
    • Mendes2
      Mendes2 removed this reply because:
      Offtopic
      20:51, August 12, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.